Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rich actors working harder. Tough times ahead?

Options
  • 20-10-2012 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭

Kate Winslet for Sky, Brad Pitt for Chanel no 5 and Dustin Hoffman for Sky Atlantic

We're not just talking the usual one liner. This is full intense 20-25 line statements.

Not Angelina smiling at a Galaxy bar, or Brad / subtly quaffing a few Heineken , or Daniel Craig at the bar, but real full direct-to-camera sales pitch.

So, if the super rich now have to work harder, what does this mean for the rest of us?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Fcuk all I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It means they will pay more tax which will help support the PS and the unemployed.

Fair play to them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

i dunno.

it's very uncomfortable watching super stars earning their extra crust so...well, shamelessly.

it doesn't bode well, I tells ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

You say working harder like they're actually doing hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Kate Winslet for Sky, Brad Pitt for Channel no 5 and Dustin Hoffman for Sky Atlantic

We're not just talking the usual one liner. This is full intense 20-25 line statements.

Not Angelina smiling at a Galaxy bar, or Brad / subtly quaffing a few Heineken , or Daniel Craig at the bar, but real full direct-to-camera sales pitch.

So, if the super rich now have to work harder, what does this mean for the rest of us?

That I'm not super rich and it makes no difference to me.

Did I get it right?

• Advertisement

You say working harder like they're actually doing hard work.
    you saying remembering 20-25 lines of text is easy????

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

It means more taxes, more cuts and a better service from Sky, because life is Television.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    That I'm not super rich and it makes no difference to me.

Did I get it right?
    Nope.

You remember the old days? when if a super star just farted when a camera passed, it qualified as an ad. It symbolised the times, countries awash with dollarinos, spending like there was no party pooper waiting in the alleyway with a baseball bat. proper times.

and now? I mean Brad ****ing Pitt??? talking to the camera like his life depended on it???? FOR A FECKING PERFUME AD??????

doomed we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

easy peasy lemon squeezy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

That Brad Pitt ad is fcukin retarded. Just a random assortment of words jumbled together in the vain hope that it sounds thoughtful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

They could have gotten George Hook for a fraction of the price

easy peasy lemon squeezy.

yeah, that's FOUR words. try that with 20.
    Remmy wrote: »
    That Brad Pitt ad is fcukin retarded. Just a random assortment of words jumbled together in the vain hope that it sounds thoughtful.
    yes, voiced like he was about to reveal his soul.

now, if it was for charity, as i'd expect, fair enough.

but a star with his rep and notoriety etc, prostituting himself so basely....

and winslet and Hoffman (in fairness Hoffman prob owns a good share of sky, so it's working for himself) it shocking.

hmm. unless Brad has bought heavily into Chanel's stock? and Kate Sky stock? at least that'd offer some comfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I'll start worrying when I see Lady Gaga scanning stuff on the till in Tesco.

They could have gotten George Hook for a fraction of the price
    Yes, a picture of Brad, one of Hook.

the caption reads.

But Chanel or end up looking like this. (Hook)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Brad Pitt was paid 7m for that ad. He would be an idiot not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

It means they have more crappy rich people stuff to pay for. The more money you earn, the more you think you need (expensive cars, trips away etc.).

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Brad Pitt was paid 7m for that ad. He would be an idiot not to do it.
    not sure about that.

his value as a commodity in movie terms is his image; cool, in your face, independent, rebel, man of integrity, etc. if the image becomes tarnished his value decreases.

which is why it's so surprising.

it's one thing doing a no speaking ad like his previous Heineken one, it was in tandem with his image. but this ad, is very much not.

he gains short term, but loses long term

hence my fears for the world. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

7m isn't too shabby for a day.

Does make him look like a bit of a tool though.

I put a much lower value on my pride.

George Clooney doing a Nestle ad????

George fooking Clooney????

Nestle?????

OMFG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl%C3%A9_boycott

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

Kate Winslet for Sky, Brad Pitt for Chanel no 5 and Dustin Hoffman for Sky Atlantic

Taking part in a huge ad campaign is probably the monetary equivalent of starring in a big Hollywood film.
    Films take months & months to make. I know which one I'd choose.. (both)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

To quote Chris Rock(ish)-If Nestle woke up and found itself with the same amount of money as George Clooney has, it would slit its wrists in despair. The Pitt ads and their like will generate sales in the multiples of what the ads cost the corporations who commission them, and the Corporations have waay more money than Hollywood these days. People go where the money is, and big business is where it's at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

it is when you're getting paid a **** load of money to learn 20 lines.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's why they have those prompter screens in front of the camera lens

That's why they have those prompter screens in front of the camera lens
    yes, bless em. (shud use that for the aul stage work - esp panto)

but for the love of all that is holy - the campaigner himself doing an ad for a company that pushed baby formula on an impoverished nation at the risk of children's health....

actually georgie has a defence,

it's two fold, nestle's payments allow him to do good low budget movies

and when an actor needs money 'all bets are off' (ie fuk principles)

deary me.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/videos/2012/01/23/clooney-defends-being-a-sellout.html

but some are not happy. i am pretty shocked i have to say. if one 'needs' (wants) money then 'all bets are off?'

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/09/13/using-ad-spoof-labor-activists-urge-george-clooney-to-stop-nesp/

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Quite like Kevin Bacon's new ad.. doesn't take itself too seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Good topic OP

Yeah ive noticed these ads are getting more common and find it strange that they do the ads. Only thing is they must be making good money from it and its easy work. Id love to know how much they have made from them

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

frontline media work isnt hard work in the same way normal jobs woud be though its high stress.
    remembering lines woud be damn well difficult on the ole short term memory as people get older unless they have been to a fancy drama school and were taught special methods on how to remember lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

It means they are greedy so and sos and getting loads a dosh.

And also it means that their medium is being slaughtered by the net as well as other media and the economy. Also the power of American culture is wanning and audiences are watching and listening to other cultures.

It is not necessarily bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

of course they all do dodgy foreign ads with the condition that they aren't shown back home

Advertisement