Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomas gear jewellers

Options
  • 20-10-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Opinions? Why are their rings cheaper than others? Anyone purchase an engagement ring there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Opinions? Why are their rings cheaper than others? Anyone purchase an engagement ring there?

We looked in there and my OH questioned why their prices seem so much better than elsewhere - we were told that they decided to have a much lower mark up on the diamonds and as a result its working great for them - sales are up. Hence they've had the 'sale' on for so long now.

We did see some nice rings in there but I wasn't overly gone on the service. I know at the end if the day it's about the ring but the experience really was part of it for us. Some places we went to made us feel really special and it made a huge difference to us.

In the end I got the ring I love elsewhere, comparable in price to Thomas Gear.

H

• Registered Users Posts: 8 batman54321

Thanks for your reply! Anyone else look in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I got mine there, still delighted with it. Essentially you get the same ring for half the price that you would on Grafton Street as they aren't paying nearly as high rents. We're going back for our wedding rings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 little_bird

Dolbert wrote: »
    I got mine there, still delighted with it. Essentially you get the same ring for half the price that you would on Grafton Street as they aren't paying nearly as high rents. We're going back for our wedding rings :)

I think they're ok if you buy something off the rack so to speak. My husband bought me a diamond ring from there as I never had a proper eternity ring and it's been fine and my sister got her engagement ring there too, and again, without much issue. In both cases, rings were resized in the hour and the even rhodium plated and polished my wedding ring for free which was made elsewhere so I was looked after ok.

I wish I could say the same for my sister in law. I was the one who recommended she and my brother go to Thomas Gear for their wedding rings as I couldn't believe their prices. She ended up needing both hers and my brother's wedding rings made. It was the beginning of a nightmare for her. The first ring they made was totally different from the one she had ordered to be made and looked horrendous. They were getting married abroad and we're running out of time and the shop staff were very dismissive of her but just in time before the wedding, made the ring to how it should have been and with the diamonds set as they should have been. My brother's ring was fine.
    While on honeymoon, her ring started to tarnish where it was joined and was very rough that it started to cut her finger. It looks like the ring was about to break so she stopped wearing it and marched back to the shop. They said they had to remake the whole ring as the gold was porous and told her to come back on a Tuesday when the guy who made it would be in. She went back and the guy tried to blame my sister in law on the fault! He gave out stink at the shop and my sister in law was incredibly upset as this was the ring that was blessed on her ceremony and now it is going to be replaced and the guy was trying the blame her and denied saying anything about the gold being porous.
    After many trips back and forth long distance to and from the shop and after so much heartache over the whole thing, her ring is being remade from scratch but the shop have been horrible about it in her opinion.

My suggestion, pay the extra somewhere else for better service if you need to get something made. I regret recommending them to my sister in law and feel somewhat responsible now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gunnygirl

I got my engagement ring in there 2 weeks ago!.. Service was 5/10... no flashy private room for viewing or even any special treatment at all! For that reason only I'd give them a 5/10!.. At the end of the day I was there for a ring not to make friends, my ring is gorgeous & was on sale so im curious to see how much they actually price it after the sale. Another thing is I have to wait 3 weeks for my ring :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 KarenRodgers

I'm just wondering is there any update on the jewellery being so cheap it seems to be too good to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I'm just wondering is there any update on the jewellery being so cheap it seems to be too good to be true

I got my ring there a year ago and would highly recommend them. I always get so many compliments on it. I got 18ct white gold and it still doesn't need to be dipped :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

They use real gold and real diamonds, and the rings aren't going to fall apart, if that's what you mean :confused: You can pay twice the price for the same ring on the Southside if it makes you feel better.

Dolbert wrote: »
    They use real gold and real diamonds, and the rings aren't going to fall apart, if that's what you mean :confused: You can pay twice the price for the same ring on the Southside if it makes you feel better.

100% agree. It is a no frills place! Martin gear on Mary street is also great with prices comparable. It really just depends on the style of ring you want. I found thomas gear cheapest for for trilogy style 1 carat of diamonds. But martin was cheapest for single solitaires in over a carat. A friend of mine got engaged the same time and paid €6000 for a three stone (can't remember exact carat size but it was max 0.7) in applebys. With colour and clarity the same as mine! Yes applebys give you champagne and bring you into a private room but is that worth over €4000 more than thomas gear! Also thomas gear will clean your ring for free for life and if you go for white gold they dip it 1/2 price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fariannke

hey ... bit late to the party here, but have my eye on a ring in TG and hoping to head up at the weekend, but just wondering if they move on price any bit? I always like to try to get a few €€€ off, but their prices are so low anyway i'm wondering if they move on them at all??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

had a look here and again couldn't believe the prices like other posters. Do they provide the cert and all the necessary bits (bar champagne) that Applebys do?

do i have any cause for concern at all?

guile4582 wrote: »
    had a look here and again couldn't believe the prices like other posters. Do they provide the cert and all the necessary bits (bar champagne) that Applebys do?

do i have any cause for concern at all?

Hey I got my engagement ring in there 2 years ago. My ring is still sparkling like the day I got it and yes I got a cert with it and it was valued at double the price I paid for it. Can't go wrong there really . :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 wilson palacios

Looking to buy an engagement ring for herself in the next couple of weeks. The reason I was attracted to Thomas gear was the selection they have on line is brilliant. I went in recently and had a look around. I'm far from an expert on diamond rings but they looked great. The lady asked me to pick my top 5 favourites. I was picking rings around the 2K mark as thats my budget area. She did take out a ring at a lower price and the difference in the sparkle from the others was huge.

There's just something about Thomas gear that has me stalling. I remember years ago walking by it and just seeing big tacky sovereigns in the window that alot of toe rags would wear. The shop seemed fine when I visited and the staff where nice. It was the last place id expect to be buying an engagement ring.

Any other fresh opinions on the place???

Hey.. the place itself doesn't give any frills engagement service like you get other places but if you are picking her ring then she won't need to see the shop so might not be anything to be concerned about. When looking for mine I didn't want to get my ring in there originally because I thought if their ad on tv is tacky then what s the Jewellery going to be like? I knew the style of ring I wanted & priced around for it. It was only because we were passing through the shopping centre that we saw the rings in the window & mine was literally half the price in Thomas gear so I was curious. They were having a massive sale & again I thought it's still strange but tried it on anyway & it felt just as good as the other had. They value it for you and Give you a cert & mine was valued at double what I paid.
    hope that's of some help to you and I totally understand how the shop turns you off buying in there but 2 years on & my ring is just as sparkly as the day I got it.

Looking to
    buy an engagement ring for herself in the next couple of weeks. The reason I was attracted to Thomas gear was the selection they have on line is brilliant. I went in recently and had a look around. I'm far from an expert on diamond rings but they looked great. The lady asked me to pick my top 5 favourites. I was picking rings around the 2K mark as thats my budget area. She did take out a ring at a lower price and the difference in the sparkle from the others was huge.

There's just something about Thomas gear that has me stalling. I remember years ago walking by it and just seeing big tacky sovereigns in the window that alot of toe rags would wear. The shop seemed fine when I visited and the staff where nice. It was the last place id expect to be buying an engagement ring.

Any other fresh opinions on the place???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Have personally had great experience with Thomas Gear and would have no hesitation in recommending them.

is there a sale on at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

You might want to have a look in Jeff Gear's on Parnell St too. I got my rings there and would have no hesitation recommending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I got both wedding & engagement rings 20 years ago,

Still happy with them, they outlived my marriage,

LOL

do they generally do a deal if you say you'll pop back in for wedding rings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ronantutt

just to let you know folks that thomas gear jewellers is permanently closed but you can go to his son martin gear who is also very good jeweller.

• Advertisement

thats a shame - great service in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Hi all,

So based on this thread, I've just had a look at the TG website. Theres nothing on there that would interest me because honestly, I want something a bit bigger. I still want value for money however, and I'm not fussed at all with the experience, champaign, private room etc.

Is there anywhere that has the same idea but based on more expensive stones? The most expensive one on the TG website is less than €5k and has a combined weight of 1carat, made up of one center stone and numerous small stones. I'd rather put the money into a single stone. Or are we better off going to the middle east/Antwerp etc to try to track something down there?

I recently screengrabed a picture of one I like on FB but no idea how big it is in real life or how much it would cost, and I havent seen anything like it locally.

Sarahmollie have you tried on different styles? I had an idea in my head before I tried on but once I tried on with wedding bands I changed my mind! I ended up getting 1ct 3 stone (equal sizes) triology ring. It sits very nicely with my thick wedding band.

I would highly recommend a jewellerrepair.ie they can make you anything. I got a ring made there recently. They go by another name something like "Celtic designs".

Google "buy fine diamonds" they are based in hatton gardens. I would of bought my ring from them except I ended up getting same price here.

Millem wrote: »
    Sarahmollie have you tried on different styles? I had an idea in my head before I tried on but once I tried on with wedding bands I changed my mind! I ended up getting 1ct 3 stone (equal sizes) triology ring. It sits very nicely with my thick wedding band.

I would highly recommend a jewellerrepair.ie they can make you anything. I got a ring made there recently. They go by another name something like "Celtic designs".

Google "buy fine diamonds" they are based in hatton gardens. I would of bought my ring from them except I ended up getting same price here.

Hi, no I've not tried on yet. Myself and the OH are what we like to call "quietly engaged" but not planning to do anything publicly for until after our holiday in September, as we've just been non stop going to other peoples weddings so far this year, and actually just want a bit of peace for a few weeks before the fuss starts!

Granted what I want could change but I'd be quite clear that there are certain styles that I don't want, like I don't see myself going for one thats mostly made up of lots of small diamonds, and a lot of the options on the TG website are that style.

I like the idea of either 1 of 3 stones, and a yellow gold band. Right now i'm thinking maybe one single oval stone, so I'd like to find something locally in Dublin that I can try on, even if I end up needing to get something made to get it exactly how I'd like it.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll check them out :)

So far I've found this from my googling, although at "from €11K", its pricey, and its not yellow gold. Kind of wondering if I could get a similar diamond and then get the ring made, if that might work out cheaper. Also, the colour I doesnt sound great, but then again 1.6ct is a big stone...... dilemmas!

http://www.johnbreretonjewellers.ie/Engagement-Rings/Solitaires/Oval-and-Cushion-Cut/S18791*Elegant-Oval-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-with-Slender-Platinum-Band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

ronantutt wrote: »
    just to let you know folks that thomas gear jewellers is permanently closed but you can go to his son martin gear who is also very good jeweller.

Very sad to hear this (I realise it happened months ago now).

Rising rents causing the closure of a 33 year old business are a disgrace.

Hi, no I've not tried on yet. Myself and the OH are what we like to call "quietly engaged" but not planning to do anything publicly for until after our holiday in September, as we've just been non stop going to other peoples weddings so far this year, and actually just want a bit of peace for a few weeks before the fuss starts!

Granted what I want could change but I'd be quite clear that there are certain styles that I don't want, like I don't see myself going for one thats mostly made up of lots of small diamonds, and a lot of the options on the TG website are that style.

I like the idea of either 1 of 3 stones, and a yellow gold band. Right now i'm thinking maybe one single oval stone, so I'd like to find something locally in Dublin that I can try on, even if I end up needing to get something made to get it exactly how I'd like it.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll check them out :)

So far I've found this from my googling, although at "from 11K", its pricey, and its not yellow gold. Kind of wondering if I could get a similar diamond and then get the ring made, if that might work out cheaper. Also, the colour I doesnt sound great, but then again 1.6ct is a big stone...... dilemmas!

http://www.johnbreretonjewellers.ie/Engagement-Rings/Solitaires/Oval-and-Cushion-Cut/S18791*Elegant-Oval-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-with-Slender-Platinum-Band
    Yellow gold is fab. It took me 6 months to decide on a ring Lol orginally I wanted a pear or marquise diamond. Decided against it as can chip easily, catch in things and a nightmare to fit a wedding ring with!

If you get a ring set high enough you will for ordinary ring underneath. Also if you want diamond wedding band make sure claws from e ring won't rub off as it will damage both rings!

1.6ct is massive. Do you know your ring size? I am a "k" and tbh 1ct single stone looks huge on my finger. Once you go over 1ct the price goes mad! I can see yellow tones on big stones so make sure you get a pale colour. On smaller stones it's less obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

I got my engagement ring from TG 2 about months before they closed down and as much as I am madly in love with my ring the quality was awful after I bought it (diamonds falling out after 7 weeks even though I don't wear it all the time!). Was calling to arrange a refund as they had already failed to repair it once when I realized they had shut down the week before. :(

I ended up having my ring fixed and all of thew claws, diamonds etc checked with some diamonds replaced and my OH is getting his wedding band made at the moment by Neil Conway Jewelers on Trinity Street and have to say they have been amazing to deal with for both..

My ring looked better than the day we bought it originally when he fixed it up and he definitely wont rip you off in terms of prices and can make everything to order (he actually advised my OH on a cheaper metal for the ring as said it wasn't worth the price difference - normally its just constant up-selling so he was a breath of fresh air and super helpful..

"Quiet" congrats on the engagement :)

Yellow gold is fab. It took me 6 months to decide on a ring Lol orginally I wanted a pear or marquise diamond. Decided against it as can chip easily, catch in things and a nightmare to fit a wedding ring with!

If you get a ring set high enough you will for ordinary ring underneath. Also if you want diamond wedding band make sure claws from e ring won't rub off as it will damage both rings!

1.6ct is massive. Do you know your ring size? I am a "k" and tbh 1ct single stone looks huge on my finger. Once you go over 1ct the price goes mad! I can see yellow tones on big stones so make sure you get a pale colour. On smaller stones it's less obvious.

You're a fountin of knowledge! I feel like I know nothing.... other than I know I want to try on a plain oval diamond ring!

Yeah I've always been a yellow gold girl....although 90% of people seem to go for white gold/platinum these days, but actually the fact that its not everyones choice only makes me like it more.

I've no real concept of how big it would look on my finger.... I'd like something thats pretty big though, although not comically big. Also, I read somewhere that the oval shape makes your fingers look longer, so thats also appealing to me, as mine wouldnt be the longest :)

I've been looking on the Blue Nile website to try to understand what the diamond alone should cost. Has anyone used them or know if their prices are competitive?

Laura_A wrote: »

"Quiet" congrats on the engagement :)

Thanks! I'm actually loving it being our little secret for a few weeks - and then coming online to blab so I don't blab to anyone in real life!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Thanks! I'm actually loving it being our little secret for a few weeks - and then coming online to blab so I don't blab to anyone in real life!

Its a lovely time having the secret of it between ye.

Enjoy!!

Advertisement