Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free flights-cheap flights alitilia japan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Any individual's bookings were the tip of the iceberg. The details of the mistake went viral, the server could barely handle the load. When it wasn't shut down in a matter of minutes it was clear that the game was up. Of course people aren't going to book 1 flight each, especially seeing as there are no routes ex Dublin and consequently it might require multiple flights to get to final destination. I booked 4 pairs of seats within Europe which would have been a max discount of EUR 2000. I make absolutely no apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Doesnt look like any of them will be honoured now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Africa wrote: »
    Doesnt look like any of them will be honoured now!

Meh ... no biggy ... you didn't have anything to begin with so theres nothing lost.

I'd say the Americans will be trying to bring class action law suits and all sorts though.

It's just bad PR, but i'd say 90% of the people that booked all these crazy 0 fare tickets would never have booked with Alitalia in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭positron

Alitilia thanks every one of you for participating in their website load handling test.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Looks like they're being honoured.. congrats to all who got one!
    Dear Alitalia fans,

Thank you for the interest you took in our Facebook Global Offer. Alitalia was the first airline to create a global event of this kind for the Internet community: the most wide-ranging Alitalia promotion ever.

We offered a worldwide 25% discount, with the exception of Japan, where for technical reasons we were forced to create a unique E-Coupon worth 25.000 yen (approximately 250 euro) to be used exclusively for the purchase of flights from Tokyo or Osaka. This redemption rules were clearly stated in the Japanese version of the Facebook offer.

Unfortunately, due to a malfunction, the system did not recognize the limitation of this unique e-coupon to be used only on routes from Japan. As a result, the system erroneously allowed the voucher discount of 25,000 yen to be used on all routes in Alitalia’s global network.

The news spread rapidly online and in a matter of a few hours our Japanese website reported a dramatic surge in visits and purchase requests from several geographical areas.

This unusual occurrence on the Japanese website triggered a security system alert which, considering the high percentage of number of requests at zero cost, froze all transactions. The promotion’s objective was to spur and increase the sale of tickets at a discounted price, and not to issue tickets for free or at a minimal cost.

However, since Alitalia intends to protect clients who have committed a, albeit minimal,amount with their credit card, we confirm the validity of the transactions requested on the Japanese site with a value greater than 1 euro cent. Those clients will soon receive an e-mail with their ticket.

Finally, in consideration of the great success of the promotion, we decided to extend the 25% discount offer for two additional days.

Alitalia Facebook Team
    Source

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There's people in Japan now. Fair play, that's 1 lad who got the Hilton and a few million got to Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Just saw on the alitilita facebook page that they are honouring all flight bookings that cost more than €0.01. Result for all those who paid a nominal amount for their flights!
    http://www.facebook.com/alitalia?ref=stream

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Nice

As it turns out one of my two bookings cost 3 euro (for 4 people, London to Rome) so I assume that means I'll get that one honoured.

Just saw on the alitilita facebook page that they are honouring all flight bookings that cost more than €0.01. Result for all those who paid a nominal amount for their flights!
    http://www.facebook.com/alitalia?ref=stream
    under contract law a contract is only formed once consideration has being paid.

This may br the reason that they are honouring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Oh no, why didn't I spend a few cents!! Ahhhh gutted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

ted1 wrote: »
    under contract law a contract is only formed once consideration has being paid.

This may br the reason that they are honouring it.

Does this also mean that anyone who booked the Hilton through lastminute.com had / has a legally binding contract as they all paid something for their room booking ?? 😱

Shinobollo wrote: »
    Does this also mean that anyone who booked the Hilton through lastminute.com had / has a legally binding contract as they all paid something for their room booking ?? 😱
    Lastminute.com had expressed
    Terms and conditions which allowed them to cancel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ah bollocks, how the **** did i miss this?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Dammmnitt!! I saw it here, but didnt bother booking, thinking they wouldnt honour it! Ive been wanting to go to Japan for ages, but cant afford the flights!! :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ted1 wrote: »
    Lastminute.com had expressed
    Terms and conditions which allowed them to cancel.
    Also, money was more than likely reserved and not taken.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Missed it :( always wanted to go to japan

I got the Geneva - NY - Venice for 41 euros / person ... checked this morning and my tickets were cancelled.

Called Alitalia and they don't seem to have any information at the moment. :o

Oh well .. wait and see I guess .. poor folks in the Call Center are probably inundated with Angry lunatics.

Got an e-mail from them also .. so will have to wait and see.

Thank Jesus I didn't book anything else (Connecting flights/Hotels etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I got the Geneva - NY - Venice for 41 euros / person ... checked this morning and my tickets were cancelled.

Called Alitalia and they don't seem to have any information at the moment. :o

Oh well .. wait and see I guess .. poor folks in the Call Center are probably inundated with Angry lunatics.

Got an e-mail from them also .. so will have to wait and see.

Thank Jesus I didn't book anything else (Connecting flights/Hotels etc)

Same boat as yourself. Raging I didn't book 2 flights - if I'm going to New York, I'm going alone! Ha. Would be an amazing deal to get them for €42, I'm still debious, despite the email.

Tusky wrote: »
    Same boat as yourself. Raging I didn't book 2 flights - if I'm going to New York, I'm going alone! Ha. Would be an amazing deal to get them for €42, I'm still debious, despite the email.

Well if its honoured you could offer to split the cost of a flight with someone else with the 25% off Voucher :)

Or indeed just go couch surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Oh no, why didn't I spend a few cents!! Ahhhh gutted
    I had thought about this but was wary of giving them my credit card details in case they tried to bill the full cost of the flights. Ah well, nothing ventured and nothing gained.:)

• Advertisement

Well if its honoured you could offer to split the cost of a flight with someone else with the 25% off Voucher :)

Or indeed just go couch surfing.

How much would it be with the 25% off voucher?

Where do you check the status of your flight?

How much would it be with the 25% off voucher?

Where do you check the status of your flight?

http://www.saudiairlines.com/

Manage my booking --> E-Ticket

Thanks. Holy ****, my booking is confirmed. New York return for €44! Just have to book connecting flights to Geneva and Venice.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Missed it :( always wanted to go to japan

Flights were about 250 euro after coupon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Thanks. Holy ****, my booking is confirmed. New York return for €44! Just have to book connecting flights to Geneva and Venice.

I'd be somewhat cautious though, as my bookings continue to show a confirmed status on the Saudi Airlines site, despite them being freebies.

Check it on Alitalia & hopefully you'll be good to go.

https://mm.alitalia.com/ru_en/BOOKING/Apvsearch.aspx

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I'd be somewhat cautious though, as my bookings continue to show a confirmed status on the Saudi Airlines site, despite them being freebies.

Check it on Alitalia & hopefully you'll be good to go.

https://mm.alitalia.com/ru_en/BOOKING/Apvsearch.aspx

Not responding when I try on that link. Fairly confident though considering they sent an e-mail saying bookings over 0.1c would be honored. The two connecting flights come to €112, so total cost is €156 return. Just about cheap enough to make my mind up about going to New York on my own...

The Coupon Status is the important bit.

Mine were "open for use" and then after they announced cancellation they were "void" and now their "open for use" again.

Theres a load of imo assholes on facebook because they say that its discrimination to let customers fly that paid something and not let the people fly that paid nothing.

ffs ..... :D

The Coupon Status is the important bit.

Mine were "open for use" and then after they announced cancellation they were "void" and now their "open for use" again.

Theres a load of imo assholes on facebook because they say that its discrimination to let customers fly that paid something and not let the people fly that paid nothing.

ffs ..... :D

My feeling is that you should always back out gracefully when a deal like this falls through - we all knew when we booked that we were taking advantage of a mistake. If it comes off, great. If it doesn't, hard luck. No point moaning about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

I got the email from them but when I check my booking on the alitalia website it says the booking has been deleted. I'll give it a couple of days and then make contact with them. Can others report if theirs are still showing as deleted even though they paid something?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

walshki wrote: »
    I got the email from them but when I check my booking on the alitalia website it says the booking has been deleted. I'll give it a couple of days and then make contact with them. Can others report if theirs are still showing as deleted even though they paid something?
    Thanks.

I'm the same, hang tight i'd say, I think the Alitalia manage my booking thing is offline or something as you cannot check your e-ticket either.

Advertisement