Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy 11(atheist) banned from Scouts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What do you want? It's an explicitly theist organisation, with theism as a stated membership requirement. Always has been. There are nontheist and inclusive alternatives. Admittedly, they have to put up with the humiliation of being known as the "Woodcraft Folk", which is a lot to ask of any self-respecting 11-year-old boy, but you can hardly blame the theists for that.

I think you're entitled to a Groucho Marx moment when you read a story like this. But "intolerant"? Really? If a bunch of like-minded theists can't get together in paramilitary uniforms for a spot of caving and swearing allegiance to the Queen, it's not the theists who are being intolerant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

There are alternatives to joining the scouts. Like, not joining the scouts, for example.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Why can't he just do what I did and lie? Didn't believe a word of religion but had great fun in the Sea Scouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Yup, that's the scouts for you. The US scouts also recently kicked out a member in the states for being gay, although it wasn't much of a surprise as they've been running with a policy along the lines of DADT for over 20 years.

Personally I think it despicable that adults running an organisation which promotes civic and social responsibility would earmark youths as different to their peers before isolating them for that fact. It's also horribly ironic they can cite Christianity to do so.

As a non believing baptised Catholic I was granted membership to a CoI organisation as a child, one considerably more religious than I remember the Scouts being, because all of my school friends were members, and it was understood that not being a prick to a child was more important than enforcing the stupid divides that seem to define adult life for some. I don't get why this concept is so hard, the kid is 11, he shouldn't be affected by this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Would letting the atheist kid in not give him a nice dose of good ol' fashioned Christian compassion? Might make him ,ore like;y to change his mind. Instead he's just going to think Christians are sectarian meanies and resent them for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Galvasean wrote: »
    Would letting the atheist kid in not give him a nice dose of good ol' fashioned Christian compassion? Might make him ,ore like;y to change his mind. Instead he's just going to think Christians are sectarian meanies and resent them for it.
    Maybe they're hoping the exclusion will make him convert or something.

Galvasean wrote: »
    So if he declines to take a theist oath because he doesn't believe in it, he's being principled and displaying integrity, but if they say their theism is foundational to what they're about, they're being sectarian and mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

we need a repubilican kid claiming he will not take an oath to the queen standing alongside this kid who will not take an oath to any god!

I'd love to see two eleven year old' doing this!

And ,more'so, watch the daily mail reporting on it!

If only for the craic!

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    we need a repubilican kid claiming he will not take an oath to the queen standing alongside this kid who will not take an oath to any god!

I'd love to see two eleven year old' doing this!

And ,more'so, watch the daily mail reporting on it!

If only for the craic!
    A gay agnostic republican!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Peregrinus wrote: »
    A gay agnostic republican!
    You know of such a republican?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The Pratt didn't want to take the oath, so wasn't allowed in. Simples.

It'd be like wanting to be part of ÓSF but being a loyalist that believes Ireland should join the UK...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭endacl

the_syco wrote: »
    The Pratt didn't want to take the oath, so wasn't allowed in. Simples.

It'd be like wanting to be part of ÓSF but being a loyalist that believes Ireland should join the UK...
    Not wanting to lie made him a prat? Thinking that, while spelling 'prat' incorrectly, makes you look a bit of a prat tbh...

• Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

endacl wrote: »
    Not wanting to lie made him a prat? Thinking that, while spelling 'prat' incorrectly, makes you look a bit of a prat tbh...
    the kids surname is Pratt, it's a pun;)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'm an atheist, the scouts are a Christian org with a belief in God system. Fine, I've no problem with that, I admire the boy for standing up for himself but well understand that admitted atheists could not attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

It is all very well saying that it is a christian organisation and if the child does not want to take the oath then he should not be able to join, but that, to an extent makes light of what is actually an issue here.

This is a organisation for children that has an exemption to discrimination legislation that give it free reign to discriminate against a child based on their, or their parents belief. We, as in most of the regulars on this forum, believe that schools should not be allowed to do this, why should the scouts be any different?

I joined the Army Cadets when I live in Northern Ireland, basically scouts with guns. They did not have any religiously discriminating joining policies, nor would they have been allowed to have one.

Would it be acceptable for a golf club to only allow christian to join? Why does the scouts have an exemption?

MrP

MrPudding wrote: »
    It is all very well saying that it is a christian organisation and if the child does not want to take the oath then he should not be able to join, but that, to an extent makes light of what is actually an issue here.

This is a organisation for children that has an exemption to discrimination legislation that give it free reign to discriminate against a child based on their, or their parents belief. We, as in most of the regulars on this forum, believe that schools should not be allowed to do this, why should the scouts be any different?

I joined the Army Cadets when I live in Northern Ireland, basically scouts with guns. They did not have any religiously discriminating joining policies, nor would they have been allowed to have one.

Would it be acceptable for a golf club to only allow christian to join? Why does the scouts have an exemption?

MrP

Well, should schools be allowed to do this? If somebody wants to set up a school that teaches a creationist curriculum, and only accepts students that subscribe to that belief, I'd say why not? So long as they don't get a penny of state money, and also teach the core curriculum, good luck to them.

The Army Cadets are not quite the same thing, as it is a state-run body. Do the Scouts receive any state funding?

pauldla wrote: »
    Well, should schools be allowed to do this? If somebody wants to set up a school that teaches a creationist curriculum, and only accepts students that subscribe to that belief, I'd say why not? So long as they don't get a penny of state money, and also teach the core curriculum, good luck to them.

The Army Cadets are not quite the same thing, as it is a state-run body. Do the Scouts receive any state funding?
    Does a golf club receive state funding?

MrP

Does a golf club receive state funding?

MrP

I have no idea, sorry. How about the scouts, do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

The only hard figures I can find for federal funding is the DoD spending a few million a year that seems to be ringfenced for the national jamboree.
    On the state level coverage is patchy. It seems a some states over the past few years have removed funding, denied them their traditional preferential access to state land and restricted their fund raising initiatives in certain areas.

The wiki page is interesting. It seems to be another of those issues that America hasn't made up it's mind about, with the state and federal legislatures jousting one way or the other.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_membership_controversies

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm not sure I'm outraged. I mean, the scouts have always pretty much nailed their colours to the mast.

That said, if the scouts allow for a different oath for Muslims (oh, I wonder why) then why can't they come up with some tiny change that allow him swear his allegiance to the scouts or something.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think it's poor form that a charity that is set up for children should be allowed to discriminate against children on the basis of religion.

If the scouts profess themselves to be an inclusive organisation then they should be all inclusive.

Bear Grylls (Chief Scout) - "Scouting has something to offer everyone, no matter your religion, ethnicity or belief, and I'm so proud that we offer an environment for people of all backgrounds to come together and enjoy themselves."

Chris Foster (Scout Spokesman) - "There are an awful lot of people out there who still think that scouts are just a Christian-based organisation whereas it encompasses all different faiths. It doesn't matter who you are, what you are or what colour your skin is or what faith you are."

Also, the Scouts seem to be selective when it comes to their own policies, as they gave honourary badges last year to the likes of Stephen Fry and Terry Pratchett.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Had no idea the scouts were christian based at all before this thread!

I have no idea, sorry. How about the scouts, do you know?

TBH, it was a bit of a rhetorical question. You seem to be trying to say that as long as there is no state funding they can do what they want, I was trying to point out that not getting state funding, a golf club, does not mean the organisation can discriminate.

I don't know if the scouts receive state funding, but I don't think it is relevant. Private organisations and businesses still have to comply with discrimination legislation unless, like the church, schools and the scouts, they have an exemption. I would question whether, in the 21st century, a organisation that is for kids and supposedly prides itself on inclusion, should be allowed to legally discriminate against a growing section of the population.

MrP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Scouts are a charity, so they would get state funding in the form of tax breaks. Not that it makes a difference.

TBH, it was a bit of a rhetorical question. You seem to be trying to say that as long as there is no state funding they can do what they want, I was trying to point out that not getting state funding, a golf club, does not mean the organisation can discriminate.

I don't know if the scouts receive state funding, but I don't think it is relevant. Private organisations and businesses still have to comply with discrimination legislation unless, like the church, schools and the scouts, they have an exemption. I would question whether, in the 21st century, a organisation that is for kids and supposedly prides itself on inclusion, should be allowed to legally discriminate against a growing section of the population.

MrP

Ah, I see. Didn't quite understand why you were asking that. Sorry, long day at work.

Well, that is what I'm saying. If they are a private, theistic organisation, they get to call the shots on who they will accept. I might not like their admissions policy (and from the posts above - I too am learning loads about the scouts reading this - it seems their policy is a little confused, to put it mildly), but it's their ball. Now, if they have found workarounds for kids with other beliefs, eg Muslims, you would imagine they could work something out for kids who profess to be atheists. In that sense I think they have treated young master Pratt rather unfairly.

BTW, would it be true to say that golf clubs etc do discriminate, but that they are not allowed to discriminate on grounds of ethnicity, religious belief, etc? After all, we all discriminate, in the strict sense of the word. It's what stops us from eating our shoes for breakfast. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Had no idea the scouts were christian based at all before this thread!
    I was a little surprised by it, but I probably knew at some point as I used to be a Cub Scout. :)
    The Scouts are a charity, so they would get state funding in the form of tax breaks. Not that it makes a difference.
    In that case, they probably shouldn't be allowed to ostracise kids whose parents' income contributes to their funding. The whole thing is kind of absurd, anyway. How can a ten-year-old possibly have an informed position on the existence or non-existence of a deity?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I just read the article. How come he attended for 9 months first?

BTW, would it be true to say that golf clubs etc do discriminate, but that they are not allowed to discriminate on grounds of ethnicity, religious belief, etc? After all, we all discriminate, in the strict sense of the word. It's what stops us from eating our shoes for breakfast. :)
    They discriminate against non-members, but they can't discriminate against an applicant for membership on a protected ground. So they can say "you are getting in because you aren't a member" but they can't say, "you can't be a member because you don't believe in god."
    Grayson wrote: »
    I just read the article. How come he attended for 9 months first?
    You kind of join on a provisional basis and then after a period you make your membership official, become "invested."

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

""Don't do what Donny Don't does"..sigh, they could have made this clearer"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

krudler wrote: »
    ""Don't do what Donny Don't does"..sigh, they could have made this clearer"

Didn't Bart join so he could get a pocket knife in that episode? Perhaps if we give the atheist child a knife he will be happy enough with that, all the better to slaughter a lamb on the dark alter of satan at the next black mass.

Advertisement