Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coursera

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

Have signed up for a couple of courses from FutureLearn.com - it's owned by the Open University.

They've about 20 courses advertised at the moment covering a number of subjects.

I've done a couple of OU courses in the past and have always been impressed so hopefully these will also be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

That Signature Track thing Coursera is offering is that a gimmick or does it have merit? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm going to be starting the EdX course "Introduction to Programming through Python" in October. The main reason is that most of the job ads in my field are now looking for knowledge of programming in Python and I have feck all knowledge of it.
    Started this today, I like the format! I like that I can pause the video lectures and try some of the examples in real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

How did ye get on with the Python course? Im doing it at the moment and working through assignment one. Obviously its finished but Im still going to go through it all...its something completely different to anything ive studied before (programming that it!)

SeaFields wrote: »
    How did ye get on with the Python course? Im doing it at the moment and working through assignment one. Obviously its finished but Im still going to go through it all...its something completely different to anything ive studied before (programming that it!)
    I'm finding it both very challenging and very interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'm finding it both very challenging and very interesting!

Ah but that feel you get like jumping around the sitting room and dancing when your code works as it should!

No? thats only me ?! :o:D

SeaFields wrote: »
    Ah but that feel you get like jumping around the sitting room and dancing when your code works as it should!

No? thats only me ?! :o:D
    Oh me too!
    Problem set 2, I got the first two parts right, went nuts cos I just could not get the third part right!
    I was thinking about the problems when I woke up in the middle of the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Nutgrover

I've finished Introduction to Philosophy. Enjoyed it a lot, especially that the approach was not conventional (not a brief "history of philosphy" course but a fresh look on modern problems) and interactive (video lectures with in-lecture quizzes, trial quizzes, "real" quizzes", ppt presentations, pdf transcripts and a discussion forum). Looked into Astronomy and Game Theory, too. It's up to you how much time you want to spend. A full certification option requires lots of effort (several hours a week for a few weeks) but even "scratching the surface" is beneficial as you learn a lot of new things and expand horizons. That's what I call the Web 2.0 in action!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Good article today in the Irish Times (page 14) on web-based learning (MOOCs), including Coursera. I was interviewed for the piece as a result of previous contributions in this thread!

Good read for anyone interested in web based education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Hi all, I'm looking at some data analysis courses on Coursera. I just don't have the money to do a masters or dip in the subject, at least not the moment. (looking into IT Blanch's online masters for next year possibly). I'd like to do a course or two on Coursera to see if it's something I'm really interested in and just to get an introduction. Is completing a Coursera course something that could be put on a CV or would is it just too slight to include?

• Advertisement
Advertisement