Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coursera

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I too am wondering this. Completing these courses is no walk in the park and requires a good deal of commitment. I've definitely flunked the Astronomy course. If the prospective employers has knowledge of Coursera I'd say they'd know that but you can't really know.

Either way, for the time being free education is awesome.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I came across this the other day it looks great.

I enrolled for Principles of Economics for Scientists without spotting that it started on January 7th. As some of the problem set deadlines and labs have passed I'll get nil for the labs and a possible 50% from the missed prob sets. It looks very interesting (if difficult) though, so I'll try and work through it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Im interested in this but at the moment there are none that grab my interests, the ones that do seem to start in September.. are there any other sites you could suggest?

Edit: I just realised I can go back and do some that have been already comnpleted. Nice. I've signed up to the 'AdHD through the lifespan course' (I'm not sciencey or mathsy like the majority of courses). I've joined a course that started on jan 28th but not sure how that works... Do I get a cert if I do it in my own time considering its due to end next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Is there any point to putting the Coursera courses you've completed on your CV? Has anyone gotten any feedback from an employer after having done so?

I've done a couple and would like to have them on my CV just to show that I've been keeping busy while travelling. But I'm afraid that an employer might just laugh it away as a free internet course that's not recognised and therefore not noteworthy.

If you are worried about doing so then you could place it in your "Hobbies and Interests" section of the CV and then list courses you have completed under the subheading "personal development".

I've interviewed over a hundred people and read hundreds of CVs and to me, even if I thought that the courses weren't really comparable to an Open University course for example, it would still show development.

Put it this way, I am taking free online courses and they will be going on my CV!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

They seem very interesting, and signed on for the Edx one with Michael Standel on Justice as I had just finished his book on the morality of markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

TU Delft is offering two online courses from September:
    Solar Energy
    Introduction to Water Treatment

This Dutch Technical University is world-renowned for Engineering, so I can imagine the courses would be pretty good.

http://www.tudelft.nl/en/current/latest-news/article/detail/inschrijving-open-voor-gratis-online-cursussen-van-de-tu-delft/

minnow wrote: »
    TU Delft is offering two online courses from September:
    Solar Energy
    Introduction to Water Treatment

This Dutch Technical University is world-renowned for Engineering, so I can imagine the courses would be pretty good.

http://www.tudelft.nl/en/current/latest-news/article/detail/inschrijving-open-voor-gratis-online-cursussen-van-de-tu-delft/

All I got was a page about cookies.
    cookie%20monster_741460.jpg

:D

Cheers, the solar one looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Haidee_Hammond

Hey, still interested in a Coursera/Udacity (I know you didn't mention it, but I like it) Dublin study group? O:-) Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm going to be starting the EdX course "Introduction to Programming through Python" in October. The main reason is that most of the job ads in my field are now looking for knowledge of programming in Python and I have feck all knowledge of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've started the Introduction to Operations Management on Coursera. I'm also doing an online course in Lean/Six Sigma from Sligo IT shortly. Both courses should complement each other very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

Have signed up for a couple of courses from FutureLearn.com - it's owned by the Open University.

They've about 20 courses advertised at the moment covering a number of subjects.

I've done a couple of OU courses in the past and have always been impressed so hopefully these will also be good.

That Signature Track thing Coursera is offering is that a gimmick or does it have merit? :confused:

I'm going to be starting the EdX course "Introduction to Programming through Python" in October. The main reason is that most of the job ads in my field are now looking for knowledge of programming in Python and I have feck all knowledge of it.
    Started this today, I like the format! I like that I can pause the video lectures and try some of the examples in real time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

How did ye get on with the Python course? Im doing it at the moment and working through assignment one. Obviously its finished but Im still going to go through it all...its something completely different to anything ive studied before (programming that it!)

SeaFields wrote: »
    How did ye get on with the Python course? Im doing it at the moment and working through assignment one. Obviously its finished but Im still going to go through it all...its something completely different to anything ive studied before (programming that it!)
    I'm finding it both very challenging and very interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'm finding it both very challenging and very interesting!

Ah but that feel you get like jumping around the sitting room and dancing when your code works as it should!

No? thats only me ?! :o:D

SeaFields wrote: »
    Ah but that feel you get like jumping around the sitting room and dancing when your code works as it should!

No? thats only me ?! :o:D
    Oh me too!
    Problem set 2, I got the first two parts right, went nuts cos I just could not get the third part right!
    I was thinking about the problems when I woke up in the middle of the night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Nutgrover

I've finished Introduction to Philosophy. Enjoyed it a lot, especially that the approach was not conventional (not a brief "history of philosphy" course but a fresh look on modern problems) and interactive (video lectures with in-lecture quizzes, trial quizzes, "real" quizzes", ppt presentations, pdf transcripts and a discussion forum). Looked into Astronomy and Game Theory, too. It's up to you how much time you want to spend. A full certification option requires lots of effort (several hours a week for a few weeks) but even "scratching the surface" is beneficial as you learn a lot of new things and expand horizons. That's what I call the Web 2.0 in action!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Good article today in the Irish Times (page 14) on web-based learning (MOOCs), including Coursera. I was interviewed for the piece as a result of previous contributions in this thread!

Good read for anyone interested in web based education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Hi all, I'm looking at some data analysis courses on Coursera. I just don't have the money to do a masters or dip in the subject, at least not the moment. (looking into IT Blanch's online masters for next year possibly). I'd like to do a course or two on Coursera to see if it's something I'm really interested in and just to get an introduction. Is completing a Coursera course something that could be put on a CV or would is it just too slight to include?

• Advertisement
Advertisement