Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to Rio 2016 - Irish Olympic News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭flynng

Dan man wrote: »
    Some bad news to report, it seems that Ireland didn't receive a wildcard from the ISSF and thus will not compete in shooting at the Rio Olympics:

http://www.issf-sports.org/competitions/ogqualification/quota_places_by_nation_and_number.ashx

That's disappointing, it would have been nice to see someone like Ian O'Sullivan, junior world champion in 2014, take part in the men's trap event and give him a feel for the Olympic atmosphere and some valuable experience.

All the more disappointing when you see San Marino qualifying 3 athletes and other countries like Andorra, Fiji, Barbados and Bhutan qualifying one athlete each!!! No shooters and no canoeists, very disappointing as we have a tradition in both. Can't understand why we don't have more shooting disciplines competed in,in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,214 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Kelvin Batey exited the world BMX champs yesterday in the first round so won't be going to Rio. No real surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

flynng wrote: »
    All the more disappointing when you see San Marino qualifying 3 athletes and other countries like Andorra, Fiji, Barbados and Bhutan qualifying one athlete each!!! No shooters and no canoeists, very disappointing as we have a tradition in both. Can't understand why we don't have more shooting disciplines competed in,in this country.

I think that there may be more re-allocation of quotas to come as Countries finalise their teams so therfe is still a chance that Ireland will get one.

I've had a look at the Modern Pentathlon rankings.

Natalya Coyle finished 33rd in the Olympic rankings. 17 of those ahead have qualified and 7 more come from countries with 2 athletes already qualified (or ahead of them in the rankings).

So effectively she's 9th in the ranks for those looking for the final spots. UIPM had indicated there were 6 spots available plus 2 tripartite spots so it looks like she'll miss out unless NOCs don't use their quotas

Dodge wrote: »
    I've had a look at the Modern Pentathlon rankings.

Natalya Coyle finished 33rd in the Olympic rankings. 17 of those ahead have qualified and 7 more come from countries with 2 athletes already qualified (or ahead of them in the rankings).

So effectively she's 9th in the ranks for those looking for the final spots. UIPM had indicated there were 6 spots available plus 2 tripartite spots so it looks like she'll miss out unless NOCs don't use their quotas

That's my reckoning as well. I doubt the tripartite spots will be used so it looks like she will miss by one spot which is very disheartening for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

In fairness San Marino are there on merit. Alessandra Perilli missed bronze by a whisker at London 2012. and her older sister isn't far behind her in world ranking.
    As for the others, The IOC have a policy of ensuring that every country however tiny is represented at the Olympics and this enables small countries to jump the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

2015/16 HSBC WOMEN'S RUGBY WORLD SEVENS SERIES at CLERMONT-FERRAND Sat 28th May-Sun. 29th May.

Note: The Olympic Repechage Tournament for the last Olympic place takes place in Dublin on 25th-26th June 2016.

Given that the favourites for that last place are Spain, Russia and Ireland in that order, this was not a good tournament for Ireland.

Pool Games:
    France 40 Ireland 0.
    Australia 40 Ireland 5.
    Fii 19 Ireland 14.
    Japan 0 Ireland 33, a very creditable result.

Spain beat Fiji 13-10 in the 7th/8th place game.
    Russia beat Ireland 24-5 in the Bowl final i.e. the 9th/10th place game. This was a no contest game. The Irish looked tired. They were slow and extremely error prone.
    Kenya were the only other competing country who will be in Dublin for the repechage. There is just one point of cross-reference i.e. Russia 27 Kenya 12. That would put Kenya about equal to Ireland, and Kenya are not remotely fancied to qualify! All in all, not good news.

More details here:
    www.worldrugby.org/womens-sevens-series/stage/1640/fixtures

Among other games you can see the Bowl final Ireland v. Russia here:

http://www.olympics.ie/news/14673-team-ireland-grows-from-14-to-30-athletes-and-to-7-sports.html

More officially selected. No news for us but good to see the Triathletes in there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Well if they were surprises, I wouldn't know :)

Here's everyone I think could possibly make it. Most won't. I've bolded those I think might get in

Athletics; Ben Reynolds, Kelly Proper, Rose-Anne Galligan, Ciaran O Lionaird, Kevin Batt, John Travers, Jessie Barr, Barry Pender, Mary Cullen, Maria McCambridge, Laura Crowe, Brian Gregan, Mens 4x400m relay
    Swimming; Alex Murphy, Conor Ferguson, Sycerika McMahon
    Boxing; Michael O'Reilly, Ray Moylette/Dean Walsh
    Cycling BMX; Kevin Batey
    Modern Pentathlon; Natalya Coyle
    Rugby 7s; women's team
    Shooting; Derek Burnett (re-allocated spot)
    Golf; Rory McIlroy, Shane Lowry, Leona Maguire and Stephanie Meadow
    Showjumping; Denis Lynch (he's first reserve)

No chance Ciaran O'Lionaird will make it I'm afraid. He ran something like 3:53 recently for 1500m. Granted he gave up towards the end but was only on for 3:45 when he did by all accounts. Kelly Proper I would have had down as somebody who would qualify but no real sign of her racing so far which is most unusual. Is she injured?

You'd know that better than me. O Lionaird is certainly talented enough but seems to be crippled with injuries. Shame for him

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    2015/16 HSBC WOMEN'S RUGBY WORLD SEVENS SERIES at CLERMONT-FERRAND Sat 28th May-Sun. 29th May.

Note: The Olympic Repechage Tournament for the last Olympic place takes place in Dublin on 25th-26th June 2016.

Given that the favourites for that last place are Spain, Russia and Ireland in that order, this was not a good tournament for Ireland.

Pool Games:
    France 40 Ireland 0.
    Australia 40 Ireland 5.
    Fii 19 Ireland 14.
    Japan 0 Ireland 33, a very creditable result.

Spain beat Fiji 13-10 in the 7th/8th place game.
    Russia beat Ireland 24-5 in the Bowl final i.e. the 9th/10th place game. This was a no contest game. The Irish looked tired. They were slow and extremely error prone.
    Kenya were the only other competing country who will be in Dublin for the repechage. There is just one point of cross-reference i.e. Russia 27 Kenya 12. That would put Kenya about equal to Ireland, and Kenya are not remotely fancied to qualify! All in all, not good news.

More details here:
    www.worldrugby.org/womens-sevens-series/stage/1640/fixtures

Among other games you can see the Bowl final Ireland v. Russia here:

Yeah, I'd have to agree. Looked well off the pace against Russia so unless home advantage has a massive effect they wont have a chance of qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Professional boxers will be allowed compete at the Olympics :

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/aiba-votes-to-allow-professional-fighters-to-box-at-rio-olympics-34764118.html

Controversial to say the least

World Modern Pentathhlon have released a list of Olympic Qualifiers. There are 37 on the list but 5 countries have 3 people qualified so they will have to remove one person each. That leaves 32 qualifiers. There are 2 people ahead of Natalya Coyle on the World Rankings list so that brings it to 34. As there are 36 places available for Rio and two are reserved for Tripartite invitations she will be relying on at least one of those invitations not being accepted. In 2012 9and 2008) both tripartite invitations were not used so hopefully she still has a shot at going to Rio. She wont know until after June 15 at earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I see a documentary on Setanta Ireland tonight which might be of interest, relating to our Olympic heritage.

10pm Throwing Distance
    More Irishmen have won Olympic medals for the USA then Ireland and this documentary uncovers the amazing tale of Ireland's forgotten sporting heritage - weight throwing

Greg Broderick has been selected for the Irish quota spot in Rio. Wow.
    Speaking after the announcement Robert Splaine said:

“This has been a very difficult decision to make as we are fortunate that our four main contenders for the place are very strong.

Greg Broderick and MHS Going Global (ISH) have been outstanding contributors for Ireland in Nations Cups and have been consistent clear round jumpers at 5 star level. Their performance last weekend in St. Gallen, Switzerland where they jumped a double clear in the Nations Cup to help Ireland to victory, and followed that up with two clear rounds in the Grand Prix, shows they are a combination at the very top of their form.”

The reserves are
    Bertram Allen and Molly Malone
    Denis Lynch and Allstar
    Cian O’Connor and Good Luck

Ireland is first reserve for individual and team spots.

This is a bit of a stunner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

In fairness Splaine has stuck to his word. He said last week that he would pick whichever of the 4 went best in St. Gallen, and he did just that. It was the only way he could have done it really.

finbarrk wrote: »
    In fairness Splaine has stuck to his word. He said last week that he would pick whichever of the 4 went best in St. Gallen, and he did just that. It was the only way he could have done it really.

Allen is ranked 10th in the World while Broderick is ranked 252nd!! Something smells with this decision to be honest. If Broderick is so good why is he ranked so low? Has he won many major individual competitions?

Whats the chances of a reserve being called up? Very slim I'd say.

Oldira wrote: »
    Allen is ranked 10th in the World while Broderick is ranked 252nd!! Something smells with this decision to be honest. If Broderick is so good why is he ranked so low? Has he won many major individual competitions?

Individual rankings mean little in showjumping. Broderick has 12 ranking events counted compared to 80 for Allen.

Performances in Nations Cups don't count and only on Friday Broderick had a double clear followed by another double clear in th grand Prix on Sunday. He's clearly in great form and that's a similar format to the Olympics

For reference Allen went 10 - clear - clear - four

The bottom line is that Ireland has 4 class show jumping combinations and because they choked at the world champs, and the Europeans (controversy aside), we won't have all 4 there.

I'm sure Allen is gutted, but Splaine has always said he'd pick on form so the surprise can't be too big in show jumping

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

No, the surprise wasn't that big after the weekends jumping. Nothing smells with the decision. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Individual rankings mean little in showjumping. Broderick has 12 ranking events counted compared to 80 for Allen.

Performances in Nations Cups don't count and only on Friday Broderick had a double clear followed by another double clear in th grand Prix on Sunday. He's clearly in great form and that's a similar format to the Olympics

For reference Allen went 10 - clear - clear - four

The bottom line is that Ireland has 4 class show jumping combinations and because they choked at the world champs, and the Europeans (controversy aside), we won't have all 4 there.

I'm sure Allen is gutted, but Splaine has always said he'd pick on form so the surprise can't be too big in show jumping

The form of a horse 10 weeks out hardly counts for a lot. Dont they try to peak horses for the main event?

• Advertisement

The form of a horse 10 weeks out hardly counts for a lot. Dont they try to peak horses for the main event?

I'm sure they do, but I think HSI and Robert Splaine have a better grasp of it then me and you. Finnbark is the horsey man here and he's OK with it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm sure they do, but I think HSI and Robert Splaine have a better grasp of it then me and you. Finnbark is the horsey man here and he's OK with it

The point has been made is that the horse is probably best suited out of all showjumpers in Ireland for Rio, so there is a definite logic to it. Going for the highest rated rider and ignoring the fact that the horse is a big part of the equation would be less logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Could'nt help thinking after hearing of this decision if, instead of Allen and Broderick, you had Denis Lynch as the top 10 rider and Cian O'Connor being selected ahead of him, there would have been the mother of all fall-outs. Suggests, perhaps, that the Irish showjumping world is a more equitable, harmonious place these days. Fair play to Splaine for making the hard call anyway.

Always good to read that Dan Martin is targeting the Olympics. It's his main goal this year

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dan-martin-there-are-no-days-off-in-the-criterium-du-dauphine/

Irish eventing team named

http://www.eventingireland.com/News/TabId/99/ArtMID/496/ArticleID/1040/Rio-Squad-Announced.aspx

3rd Olympics for Kyle (after 2004 and 2012). Debuts for the rest

Chris Bryan is going in the 10k Open Water Swim qualifier on Sunday. 10 spots available plus One Continental quota spot. He missed out very narrowly in 2012 so heres hoping.

Finally after all the talk of box offs etc sMichael O'Reilly and Dean Walsh have been selected for the Boxing qualifiers in Baku next week.

Chris Bryan is going in the 10k Open Water Swim qualifier on Sunday. 10 spots available plus One Continental quota spot. He missed out very narrowly in 2012 so heres hoping.

Finally after all the talk of box offs etc sMichael O'Reilly and Dean Walsh have been selected for the Boxing qualifiers in Baku next week.

Chris Bryan finished 41st out of 53 finishers in Setubal.Doesn't appear that he qualified through 10 available or continental spots. Fina is reallocating any unused quotas from 12-18th of June. Not sure if he is in line for any of these though.

Chris Bryan finished 41st out of 53 finishers in Setubal.Doesn't appear that he qualified through 10 available or continental spots. Fina is reallocating any unused quotas from 12-18th of June. Not sure if he is in line for any of these though.

No, he won't be inline for one. He was in top 15 with less than 3k to go but seems to have faded very badly. Tough conditions by all accounts

• Advertisement

Christina McMahon ran 56.42 yesterday in the 400m hurdles. Just 0.22 off the Olympic time

Ben Reynolds, who hasn't strted his 2016 season from what I can see, is still hanging on to a qualifying spot with his 13.48 in the 110m hurdles

Not so good news in the 4x400m rankings. Ireland is now 16th but if Russia gets back in we'll be 17th and out. Japan and Colombia have both improved their times recently. European Champs and European League give plenty of opportunities for Ireland

Advertisement