Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba C660 - €399 ( argos )

Options
2»

Comments

BillJ wrote: »
    People have said that the toshiba option and Fujitsu option previously mentioned are good enough but that they would buy better specced alternatives for the same money.

I can't seem to find anything better for the budget, I'm talking 400 max. Ideally it would have the following:
    • i3 processor
    • 4-6GB RAM
    • Approx. 500GB HD
    • At least one USB 3.0
    • HDMI output

Maybe there just isn't anything with all of the above for <€400

Seems that at least two from the above list are missing in all the options i've seen

Maybe this? (Cheaper with Parcel Motel.)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

That's almost perfect Aristotle!

€429 in PC World over here so it's only slightly over budget, might pick this up over the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

People have said that the toshiba option and Fujitsu option previously mentioned are good enough but that they would buy better specced alternatives for the same money.

I can't seem to find anything better for the budget, I'm talking 400 max. Ideally it would have the following:
    • i3 processor
    • 4-6GB RAM
    • Approx. 500GB HD
    • At least one USB 3.0
    • HDMI output

Maybe there just isn't anything with all of the above for <€400

Seems that at least two from the above list are missing in all the options i've seen

The better spec machines for the same money mentioned were before all of those options were in play- if that budget needs to be close to the 400 then you would need to decide which was least important to you. For my money I would drop USB3 since I wouldn't be moving that many files and go with the Packard Bell mentioned since it ticks the rest of the boxes.
    Maybe this? (Cheaper with Parcel Motel.)

That machine looks good alright esp at the stg price...although it doesn't have an optical drive so keep that in mind.

'The Asus X501A is designed to be thin and portable. The laptop does not have an optical drive to play discs, which makes space for other components like the powerful processor and memory.'

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mbarosin

Anyone have any thoughts of this Packard Bell?
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_TS44-HR-686UK-i3-2350_6GB_500GB_W7HP_Wh_NX.BZ2EK.001/version.asp#maindesc

Processor - Intel Core i3 2350M - 2.3 GHz
    RAM - 6 GB
    Hard Drive - 500 GB
    Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    - Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only £14.99!
    Click here for more info.
    Optical Drive - DVD SM
    Warranty - 1 Year

Looks pretty good to me for €420 (apparently 39% off!!).
    Can't find anything about USB 3.0 though which would be annoying.
    Still I think for the circa €400 mark, this looks like the best one I've seen in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

mbarosin wrote: »
    Anyone have any thoughts of this Packard Bell?
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_TS44-HR-686UK-i3-2350_6GB_500GB_W7HP_Wh_NX.BZ2EK.001/version.asp#maindesc

Processor - Intel Core i3 2350M - 2.3 GHz
    RAM - 6 GB
    Hard Drive - 500 GB
    Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    - Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for only £14.99!
    Click here for more info.
    Optical Drive - DVD SM
    Warranty - 1 Year

Looks pretty good to me for €420 (apparently 39% off!!).
    Can't find anything about USB 3.0 though which would be annoying.
    Still I think for the circa €400 mark, this looks like the best one I've seen in this thread.

Not sure if it was there yesterday but there is now a machine on Laptops Direct that will tick all the boxes and coming in at €394- the
    Asus X55C. Page has very little information but specs on official site.

Essentially it has:
    i3 Sandybridge (2.2GHz)
    4GB Ram
    500GB hard drive
    HDMI
    USB2(1) along USB3(1)
    Optical Drive

Comes with Windows 8 so won't ship till after Oct 26th but you can order it now.

• Advertisement

Quick update on this for anyone that's interested.

Ended up going slightly over budget and got this

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5089105/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780850%7CLaptops+and+netbooks%7C14419039.htm

Quite happy with it so far, spec is just what I wanted and battery life seems good. Not so sure what to make of windows 8 though, will take a bit of getting used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's not good value for money at all, I don't know what people are saying about the processor, it is the oldest and one of the slowest i3 processors there are. Some people see anything from the i series and think its great but there are laptops of the current generation with celeron and pentium processors more powerful than this. Processors have gone through two major upgrades since this processor was released and have improved a lot, this is really old tech.

Even this is more powerful than a lot of the i3 laptops sold in argos http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5085570/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CLaptops+and+netbooks%7C14419039/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419039%7CLaptops%7C14419040.htm You can check it on pasmark. i3 really means nothing its just a name, it doesnt equate anything to performance.

BostonB wrote: »
    I'd want more than one USB 3 port myself. I certainly wouldn't buy a machine without USB 3 at all.

How many high speed external hard drives do you intend to use at once? I would rarely ever use one, I can't imagine using more than one ever.

GarIT wrote: »
    It's not good value for money at all, I don't know what people are saying about the processor, it is the oldest and one of the slowest i3 processors there are. Some people see anything from the i series and think its great but there are laptops of the current generation with celeron and pentium processors more powerful than this. Processors have gone through two major upgrades since this processor was released and have improved a lot, this is really old tech.

I see what you're saying but I don't completely agree, it's actually one of the faster i3 processors i3-3110M 2.4GHz.

I know the i5 and i7 are out aswell but they are not available at the budget I was looking at, the cheapest i5 I would have wanted was 530+ and I was already over budget with what I spent.

So yes the processor may not be the best in the series but for the price I think it is reasonably good value.

How many high speed external hard drives do you intend to use at once? I would rarely ever use one, I can't imagine using more than one ever.

That was BostonB said that not me just to clarify:) the laptop I got has one which is all I need aswell

• Advertisement

I see what you're saying but I don't completely agree, it's actually one of the faster i3 processors i3-3110M 2.4GHz.

I know the i5 and i7 are out aswell but they are not available at the budget I was looking at, the cheapest i5 I would have wanted was 530+ and I was already over budget with what I spent.

So yes the processor may not be the best in the series but for the price I think it is reasonably good value.

I was referring to the OP possibly a bit late though. the i3 370M is terrible compared to what you can get on a budget now. The 3110M is significantly better.

As said before frequency doesnt matter at all ether anymore some of the best processors operate at around 1.7GHz.

The number really doesnt matter at all there are now i3 processors that are better that what were the best i5 processors from the original series and some of the current gen i3 processors can even come fairly colse to the original i7 processors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How else can you backup a large drive except to another?

I can have 3 or 4 drives connected sometimes.

For me the most important things on a laptop are the keyboard and the screen. They are often what suffers on a cheaper laptop. There only one way to test this, that by trying them.

BostonB wrote: »

How else can you backup a large drive except to another?

I can have 3 or 4 drives connected sometimes.

I didnt really think there would be a need for that. I'd survive with one, connect the drive being read to the USB2 port and then there won't be much of a difference. You must have a lot of data :P

If you've nothing important probably not. If you have work projects, art, photos and music. Then it adds up over the years.

Advertisement