Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba C660 - €399 ( argos )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

Yes I had a look at this yesterday and the spec is good to include:
    • Intel I3 processor
    • 4GB Ram
    • 640GB HD (I think)
    My only gripe with it is that it doesnt offer HDMI output and I like to hook up my laptop to my tv to watch movies or use the Internet .e.t.c.

you can use a vga vable and audio cable but I think all modern laptops should have hdmi output as minimum. this is what reduced price is based on, you would not pay €599 for this type of laptop spec.

Check out Amazon uk, they have some really good deals and you get it delivered to you for free.

Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

And as it's Argos, check stock levels!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

slave1 wrote: »
    And as it's Argos, check stock levels!!!

Yes very low stock levels, none is most of Dublin stores. Checkargos.com stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I have one of these. great little machine

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭tommyjin83

Mellio wrote: »
    Yes I had a look at this yesterday and the spec is good to include:
    • Intel I3 processor
    • 4GB Ram
    • 640GB HD (I think)
    My only gripe with it is that it doesnt offer HDMI output and I like to hook up my laptop to my tv to watch movies or use the Internet .e.t.c.

you can use a vga vable and audio cable but I think all modern laptops should have hdmi output as minimum. this is what reduced price is based on, you would not pay €599 for this type of laptop spec.

Check out Amazon uk, they have some really good deals and you get it delivered to you for free.

Cheers

yeah, was having the same concern myself... Other than that, i am pretty happy with the specs and the price. Decision time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

tommyjin83 wrote: »

yeah, was having the same concern myself... Other than that, i am pretty happy with the specs and the price. Decision time...
    It says it was previously sold at €349. I ha e a similar spec laptop and it does most basic tasks at ease. Remember windows 8 coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭tommyjin83

It says it was previously sold at €349. I ha e a similar spec laptop and it does most basic tasks at ease. Remember windows 8 coming soon.

Had a look again at the linky above, at the bottem of the page it says " Please note item 5087585 has previously been on sale at €359.99. ".... weird..
    Yeah, i know Windows 8 is coming, but how soon are we talking? Might wait until that's out, massive price reduction anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Had a look again at the linky above, at the bottem of the page it says " Please note item 5087585 has previously been on sale at €359.99. ".... weird..
    Yeah, i know Windows 8 is coming, but how soon are we talking? Might wait until that's out, massive price reduction anyone?

Out in about ~10 days, wouldn't expect huge price cuts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

As per the title, this laptop was going for €599 in argos and now it's down to €399. Currently looking for a laptop for personal use, so would love some advice.

Linky ->http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5087585.htm?cmpid=IE253&params=IE253&storeId=10152&ET_rid=241109326&ET_cid=3871266&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.ie%2Fstatic%2FProduct%2FpartNumber%2F5087585.htm&referrer=IE253

Hopefully the above link is working.

So what do you guys think?

Not a great deal really, you'd get a second gen i3 processor for that price, plus the C660 is one of toshiba's lowest models, doesn't look nice imo and i also don't like the plastic finish and no hdmi out.

This Fujitsu or this Packard Bell would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Looks a great buy, I have the same model and havent had any issues so far, mine has more RAM and hard disk space but this looks a bargin!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

€399.99
    was €599.99
    previously been on sale at €359.99

Its a low end laptop (build quality/features GFX, USB2, average screen etc but with an ok processor). I wouldn't say it was a bargain, but its a reasonable price for a bricks and mortar shop. I would doubt its ever been at €599.99 for any length of time, and then only to say its a sale price if they use any other lower price after that.

But in fairness at least they tell you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭skeg16

Its by no means low end, fair enough its from argos, heavy and is not the highest specked laptop in the world but this is a good deal in my eyes....not every1 has a need for a macbook air-like laptop

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you are not in a hurry Tesco may have some €299 laptops again

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80404035
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75087420

If you are looking at a €399 laptop you aren't number crunching.
    The compaq from Tesco had HDMI
    Last years €299 emachine from Tesco also had HDMI,

skeg16 wrote: »
    Its by no means low end, fair enough its from argos, heavy and is not the highest specked laptop in the world but this is a good deal in my eyes....not every1 has a need for a macbook air-like laptop

Kinda think you are missing the point. Its an entry level machine. Thats not slagging it off, its simply pointing out how it compares with other laptops.

http://www.cnet.com.au/toshiba-satellite-c660-339317473.htm
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Toshiba-Satellite-C660-Notebook.43702.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Toshiba-Satellite-C660-Notebook.43702.0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭andy125

Was going to buy this at €360 but the priced changed today to €400 as you can see so will not bother as there is better laptops in that price range out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Another thing is that the chip in this, while quite decent, is quite old, it uses the core i3 architecture from 2010, so this must be quite old stock at argos..

Its an ok CPU though. At the price I wouldn't have a problem with the CPU. Its the rest of the features/spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭irishbigfoot

manu2009 wrote: »
    Not a great deal really, you'd get a second gen i3 processor for that price, plus the C660 is one of toshiba's lowest models, doesn't look nice imo and i also don't like the plastic finish and no hdmi out.

This Fujitsu or this Packard Bell would be better.

Happened to be looking at laptops earlier for a friend and saw that Fujitsu- decent basic spec, HDMI and the processor is a Sandybridge so not too old. If you do buy a new laptop now you can avail of Windows 8 for 15 euro here

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

Happened to be looking at laptops earlier for a friend and saw that Fujitsu- decent basic spec, HDMI and the processor is a Sandybridge so not too old. If you do buy a new laptop now you can avail of Windows 8 for 15 euro here

So the consensus is that the Fujitsu is better than the Toshiba in Argos? Hoping to get a new laptop in the next few days and don't want to be kicking myself a few days later seeing a better laptop for the same price.

Would I be correct in saying that a processor with speeds of about 2-2.5 GHz is what to aim for with this budget? Or is the type of processor very important too?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Sorry Bill, but that's the way it works, as soon as you buy your laptop you will find better spec machines for cheaper. I thinks it's "sod's law" or "Murphy's law" or something like that.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What about this one below? look fairly well specced for the price, any opinions on it?

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_TS11-HR-686UK-i3-2350_6GB_500GB_W7HP_Bl_NX.BYJEK.001/version.asp

BillJ wrote: »
    What about this one below? look fairly well specced for the price, any opinions on it?

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_TS11-HR-686UK-i3-2350_6GB_500GB_W7HP_Bl_NX.BYJEK.001/version.asp

I definitely agree with ShaunC- no matter what after you click on the buy button you will find one cheaper!

As for speed- it's not the only concern these days. With the new processors it's down to cores, die-sets, hyperthreading...list can go on. For a minimum spec I would be on the lookout for the i3/5/7 Sandybridge (i3 2XXXX) or if you can configure the machine then the latest Ivybridge (i3 3XXXX) This would have the better integrated graphics and lower voltage for better battery life.

I only looked at the Packard Bell now- I would have never recommended them before but I didn't realise that Acer had taken them over in 2008 so they have probably improved. The spec on the Packard Bell is slightly better for chip, ram and capacity and it does have HDMI as well. Further general specs for the Fujitsu on their site here and for the Packard Bell on Amazon.

At the end of the day it is really down to what you need the machine for. I personally not only would try to get an i3/5/7 chip but would look for a dedicated graphics card and USB3 slots if possible.

If you can stretch your budget then this Lenovo G570 has a good spec for £399 (appx €498) with i3 Sandybridge and Bluray with a dedicated graphics card or this Acer Aspire 5755G for £439 (appx €548) with i5 Sandybridge, dedicated graphics and USB3.

I ordered a machine new machine myself last week from Lenovo direct using a discount from Meteor- you have to follow this link though and the code for 15% off is 'METEOR15LNV' The ability to configure the machines isn't the best though and aimed at the very lowest and very highest chips.

I don't get the point of doing this...

2x USB 2.0, 1x USB 3.0 I'd want more than one USB 3 port myself. I certainly wouldn't buy a machine without USB 3 at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

It depends for what you are using it. I recommended this toshiba to my friend, who just need it for skype,youtube and facebook. She paid 349 for it. The quality is good(i3(even the old one) is still a lot better that intel Bxxx), maybe the spec aren't good enough for now, but you cant expect more for that money(and you dont have to wait for it and pay extra for postage).

You can always upgrade the processor. (most people won't fair enough), RAM and Hard drive. But you can't upgrade the rest of the laptop, screen, keyboard, USB ports, graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

You can upgrade GPU but it is not worth - most of the time it is cheaper to buy new one:)

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't get the point of doing this...

2x USB 2.0, 1x USB 3.0 I'd want more than one USB 3 port myself. I certainly wouldn't buy a machine without USB 3 at all.

Not sure why either but from a quick google it appears it might have to do with the Intel motherboards and chipsets. It appears that the older Intel chipsets only have controllers for USB2 and the USB3 controller would be something tacked on by the manufacturer. Article here and 5th comment down here.

The new range of Lenovo Thinkpad Edge's- E530 have 3 USB3 ports at least and 1 powered USB2 one.

People have said that the toshiba option and Fujitsu option previously mentioned are good enough but that they would buy better specced alternatives for the same money.

I can't seem to find anything better for the budget, I'm talking 400 max. Ideally it would have the following:
    • i3 processor
    • 4-6GB RAM
    • Approx. 500GB HD
    • At least one USB 3.0
    • HDMI output

Maybe there just isn't anything with all of the above for <€400

Seems that at least two from the above list are missing in all the options i've seen

loki7777 wrote: »
    You can upgrade GPU but it is not worth - most of the time it is cheaper to buy new one:)

How can you upgrade the GPU. Usually its soldered on the motherboard. Very few have cards, and usually you can only swap to the same model.

So of all these laptops mentioned in this thread, how do you upgrade their GPU's?

You can upgrade their CPU if it had an integrated GPU, thats the only way I can see.

http://smidgenpc.com/2012/05/11/intel-hd-4000-mobile-performance-review-is-great-gaming-now-standard-on-your-laptop/

• Advertisement

BillJ wrote: »
    People have said that the toshiba option and Fujitsu option previously mentioned are good enough but that they would buy better specced alternatives for the same money. ...

I think you might have to drop to lesser to tick more of the boxes.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5087729/Trail/searchtext%3EGREAT+DEALS+ON+COMPUTING.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/catalogId/14551/partNumber/5087695.htm

http://www.zdnet.com/toshiba-satellite-pro-c850-10n-3040155301/

Though if it were me, I think I'd pay more and get a i3 AND tick more of those boxes.

Advertisement