Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improve smell of apartment ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Piliger wrote: »
    I don't smell anything after an hour ... neither does my son :( and we checked after being out and returning with them still burning in case we were just immune.

Even the Green Apple one ........ the candle itself smells STRONGLY of apples ... but not the scent in the room after an hour ...

Holy feck, don't set candles burning and leave the house maybe? Christ man. Burning the place to a crisp will only provide a different smell.

I only ever came across one scented candle that ever smelled... Yankee candle. It has been linked several times in this thread already.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

pwurple wrote: »
    Holy feck, don't set candles burning and leave the house maybe? Christ man. Burning the place to a crisp will only provide a different smell.

I only ever came across one scented candle that ever smelled... Yankee candle. It has been linked several times in this thread already.

Yankee Candles are the best :) Any candle should give a nice smell though providing the place is fresh to begin with. I use the Dunnes ones now and then and they are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭smallgarden

you could try reed diffusers,theyre a little harder to get than the candles but are alot subtler and safer, i have small yankee candles that are quite strong smelling so they do the job without even lighting them

also bread soda i good for getting odours out of things, google it to see quantities and how best to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Some good ideas here, especially removing of damp clothes or runners etc.

Just a tip if using scented candles, make sure to trim the wick regularly, (no puns please:D).
    If you don't keep the wick trim the candles will start putting out black smoke and you may not notice straight away but after a while you will notice black walls or parts of the ceiling where the candles were burning, then you're looking at a paint job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Just got hold of a couple of Yankee Candles and they do seem better - I just got the small testers first so fingers crossed.

NB ... it isn't a candidate for "How Clean Is Your House?" :D .... just not a girly girl place ;)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Some great tips on here, especially for those of us who have animals living there :)

I'd add in, I picked up one of the plug-in scent thingys last night in Aldi, and noticed it this morning, was very nice. Might also be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Might sound a bit mad, but baking soda (not baking powder, has to be soda) in a bowl, maybe with a bit of eau de toillette sprayed on top, is brilliant. Get two-three bowls and do this with each, locate strategically througout the pad.

Whatever it is with baking soda, it cleanses air and works a treat for my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I agree with most other posts regarding cleaning etc and opening windows etc. I assume you both shower daily but if you don't you really should. I shared a house with a guy once who only showered once a week and the smell for him and his room was unbelievably bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jelly4

Obviously a good scrub, along with washing bed clothes + steaming the carpets will solve your problems and the smell should go away. Some bleach down the sinks will kill any smelly germs living down there too.

For a very clean / antiseptic type smell, try putting a jar of white tiger balm on the radiator whilst its on. (it'll clear your sinuses too!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

jelly4 wrote: »
    Obviously a good scrub, along with washing bed clothes + steaming the carpets will solve your problems and the smell should go away. Some bleach down the sinks will kill any smelly germs living down there too.

For a very clean / antiseptic type smell, try putting a jar of white tiger balm on the radiator whilst its on. (it'll clear your sinuses too!).

Great tip. I must try that.

OP also clean curtains etc. Make sure you don't have any mold problems. Even check you plants. If there a white specs on the soil that is mold and you need to repot it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Few plants round the place will really help freshen the air up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Yankee candles. They're fairly expensive (from €15 to €30) but last a long time and have a huge range of smells!
    Or you can buy little ones called tarts that are about €2 and go on the top of an oil burner with a tea light candle underneath, light it for an hour now and then and they last a week or so (depending on use).

yes a few little tarts around the flat should sort it out

Advertisement