Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improve smell of apartment ?

Options
  • 17-10-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I live with my 20yo son in a small apartment. As is the way ... the general 'fragrance' of the apartment is ever so slightly less than what it might be ... :rolleyes:

I am looking for subtle ideas for improving the fragrance .. I find sprays WAY too strong and I have tried spraying aftershave on the carpet of curtains ... but it's very expensive, as are regular flowers.

I am also considering incense sticks but my experience of them in the past is that they also have a very strong smell.

Looking for a nice clean, fragrance that is gentle and not overpowering or sweet. Any ideas would be gratefully received :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Fabreze maybe, spray it on the curtains and any fabric surface you have in the place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Clean the place up and open a window or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Opening windows is good, dont leave shoes and clothes around the place.. don't smoke inside if you do already.. put takeaway boxes away as soon as you're done with them... fabreeze always works after a house party

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Vanilla scented candles in strategic places - I get mine in Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Yankee candles. They're fairly expensive (from €15 to €30) but last a long time and have a huge range of smells!
    Or you can buy little ones called tarts that are about €2 and go on the top of an oil burner with a tea light candle underneath, light it for an hour now and then and they last a week or so (depending on use).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Maybe an oxygen plant, like the one Jean Reno has in León?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Can you hire a steam-cleaner for the carpets. A friend rented and the carpets were less than pristine, and with a baby crawling she hired a steam cleaner and bought detergent for it from the local tool hire co. Brought the carpets up a treat - like new by the time she was finished.

Then get the curtains drycleaned, and the sofa covers if you can.

Yankee candles have some lovely subtle fragrances - Cotton /laundry ones have a lovely fresh scent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Clean the place up and open a window or two.

Love it :D

Corkblowin wrote: »
    Vanilla scented candles in strategic places - I get mine in Dunnes.

I will check that out - in general I find scented candles sickly sweet ?

Yankee candles. They're fairly expensive (from €15 to €30) but last a long time and have a huge range of smells!
    Or you can buy little ones called tarts that are about €2 and go on the top of an oil burner with a tea light candle underneath, light it for an hour now and then and they last a week or so (depending on use).

Where Yankee Candles ? in the city ..

• Advertisement

Most home stores will sell them. Which city are you in?
    They do lovely clean cotton/sea air scents if you don't like 'flowery' type ones.

Most home stores will sell them. Which city are you in?
    They do lovely clean cotton/sea air scents if you don't like 'flowery' type ones.

I suppose you have to constantly burn them :(

(Dublin/Ranelagh)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Piliger wrote: »

(Dublin/Ranelagh)

Burn them every once in a while coupled with the previous ideas and you should be set though

(Dublin/Ranelagh)

No not at all, I burn them for an hour or so most days but it depends on how much you need them. I have 2 dogs and that amount of time is fine for me.
    Here's a link for you to find them-
    http://m.yelp.ie/search?find_desc=yankee+candle&find_loc=Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

Make sure your laundry is done and that it's dried properly! This may sound very basic but heaps of clothes lying around that could do with a wash can make a room smell musty. Also make sure your laundry is dried properly after you wash it - air it and then put it away. If things don't dry properly they smell awful. Do a proper clean weekly and make sure the bins are emptied and the floor is mopped/washed.

I know these aren't really fragrance ideas, but you don't want to just mask any odd smells, you want to get rid of them! The candles etc will help too. Also shoes/runners - air these, buy new insoles etc etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Keep your kitchen bin emptied daily and clean - they can really stink a place out especially with food waste :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I will check that out - in general I find scented candles sickly sweet ?

The Paul costello ones from dunnes are really nice, particularly the fig and vanilla ones. They are not at all overpowering and cost around 10euro. I recently moved into a New place which stank of stale smoke and I bought a few if these candles which have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Open the windows. Fabreeze and other sprays are bad for you and the environment.

LOTS of brilliant (and sensible) ideas guys :D

I am heading to town today to get some of them, and I think the place is going to be a fragrant delight from now on :)

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Febreeze and yankee candles, to echo what most have said here.

Use both myself and can't recommend the candles enough.

That said they only mask smells really - cleaning is the real answer! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Feckless Rogue

If you're going Yankee candles make sure you get the manly ones:

NE06603

Yes they have a scent called MAN TOWN.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

pop the filters out of the over hob extractor. they're likely completely metal and a few goes of boiling water will strip years of grease deposits.

some dtergent or similar may help finish the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Strip down the beds and air/fabreeze the mattresses. Wash your bedlinen with a hot wash to get rid of smells.

Open as many windows as you can and wash as many fabrics like curtains/blinds/rugs as you can, and clean your carpets. Wipe down your bathroom surfaces with detergent especially around the loo and as said before, empty the bins regularly.

Don't leave socks or musty washing in the hamper, get it done quickly before it smells up the house.

If you do all that, your nice candle will do its work without having to fight with pre-existing pongs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Hire the 'wimmins' on this thread.They know magic 'n' stuff.

Giselle wrote: »
    Strip down the beds and air/fabreeze the mattresses. Wash your bedlinen with a hot wash to get rid of smells.

Open as many windows as you can and wash as many fabrics like curtains/blinds/rugs as you can, and clean your carpets. Wipe down your bathroom surfaces with detergent especially around the loo and as said before, empty the bins regularly.

Don't leave socks or musty washing in the hamper, get it done quickly before it smells up the house.

If you do all that, your nice candle will do its work without having to fight with pre-existing pongs. :)

Jeez if I did all that I wouldn't need any candles :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Jeez if I did all that I wouldn't need any candles.

You know, you can hire cleaning people as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

Giselle wrote: »

This!^

Guys tend to overlook changing the bedclothes regularly (every two weeks), keeping curtains and rugs fresh and aired. Fabreze can be used for things you can't wash. Clothes, shoes and socks are likely the main cause of the smell so make a new rule of doing the washing regularly. Also make sure the hampers themselves aren't the cause of the smell. Give them a clean out now and then.

The candle won't do much good on its own but it will help keep the place smelling fresh if the boys keep on top of the chores. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Every place I move into gets a thorough clean. All surfaces washed. Wooden floors and alI tile floors I use boiling hot water with bleach and when dry, i wash again with some pine fresh or other scented cleaner. Kitchen gets completely bleached, all curtains cleaned and carpets hovered thoroughly. Sofa covers the same.

As nice as candles and scented things are, they usually only hide smells if everything isn't clean. There is no substitute for cleanliness and fresh air.

As others have said, ensure all washing is dried properly and dirty washing not left to stack up. Clean the fridge regularly too and the cooker hob after cooking and oven regularly if used. Change the bed clothes every fortnight.

No smoking inside and leave shoes outside the main rooms. Take away wrappers and full bins need to be disposed of immediately.

The initial clean takes a bit of time but once done, it only takes 1-2 hours a week to maintain it.

Ok ... VERY disappointing update to the Candles situation:

DUNNES:
    Green Apple - Lidded candle :: Dunnes
    Paul Costello - Fig & Vanilla

Superquinn:
    Rathbornes Vanilla and Lavender

I have tried all of them yesterday and today (after airing and cleaning etc so no odour in apartment). I was afraid of getting candles that were too strong and too sweet ... but NONE of these candles produces anything !! I don't smell anything after an hour ... neither does my son :( and we checked after being out and returning with them still burning in case we were just immune.

Even the Green Apple one ........ the candle itself smells STRONGLY of apples ... but not the scent in the room after an hour ...

Anyone ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

clean your bins keep your sink clean wash your dishes empty bins wash your clothes/bedsheets. Air your room out once a day before the heating and keep your feet clean. throw beer cans a bottles out or wash them out if your not going to be getting rid of them for a few days wash your bathroom and floor regularly...

another tip get some nice potted plants.. Throw your rubish out take some pride in your pad man :)

Advertisement