Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthrax appreciation thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Not really an Anthrax fan but do really like the Greater of Two Evils album

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Great gig! The band were really on form tonight and there was great energy from the crowd.

Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Passenger wrote: »
    and Anthrax are on stage at 8.15.

Life saver man! I read this at 20 past 7, half an hour away, chilling out not planning on being there till near 9!

Great gig. Joey was brilliant. His almost comic enthusiasm had me smiling through the show.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Life saver man! I read this at 20 past 7, half an hour away, chilling out not planning on being there till near 9!

Ha! Glad to help man. ;)

I even seen a few people arrive at the venue around 9ish too, obviously they assumed the gig was starting then as many would but the thing is the Academy usually has disco/clubs in the Academy 2 venue so gigs will generally start earlier then most other venues to accommodate.

As for the band, they were very enthusiastic indeed and they seemed like they really appreciated the energetic response from the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Pity I couldn't make it I'd say they tore the academy a new one good to hear it went well even more pleased to hear they're back in May im sure its prob as support to somebody, but who?...let the speculation begin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Big thanks to Passenger for the heads up! Never saw Belladonna. No wonder they asked him back!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Absolutely brilliant gig! Met Scott Ian and Frank bello earlier before the gig aswell, really nice guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I ****ed up my foot from landing on it strangely during that crazy as **** crowd and my ears are ringing like nobody's business but god dammit if that wasn't a good contender for gig of the year. The only scandalous thing about it was the price of the merch, €30 for a shirt! I was about to shell out as much for a Medusa tee (my favourite Anthrax song) but they were all gone by the time I got there.

Great to hear they'll be back in May!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Would have given anything to have been there but had an operation on Wednesday so couldn't make it. How big a venue is the Academy, haven't been there. Good to hear they are coming back next May, hopefully get to see them then.

From Scott Ian's Twitter:
    Dublin crushed. I really love Ireland & that's not the Guinness talking. I'm looking forward to coming back here in May. Stay tuned for info

• Advertisement

From Scott Ian's Twitter:

They're not coming back in may, scotts coming back to do a spoken word show.

They're not coming back in may, scotts coming back to do a spoken word show.

Ah poo! Well Joey said at the end of the show they'd be back next year regardless. How true that is remains to be seen since I know a lot of bands are fond of saying they'll be back when they never do!

Ah poo! Well Joey said at the end of the show they'd be back next year regardless. How true that is remains to be seen since I know a lot of bands are fond of saying they'll be back when they never do!

Well H, The promotor, said D.M.E are already in talks with them about playing next year, possibly at a bigger venue too :)

Well H, The promotor, said D.M.E are already in talks with them about playing next year, possibly at a bigger venue too :)

Vicar Street would be savage, but even then I'd be happy with even The Button Factory. I don't think they'd have a problem selling out either.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

@Scott_Ian: London, be proud. Best show of the tour!!! Felt like our own headline show. Thank you so much and we'll see you next year!!! Cheers!!!

Ah, rock stars.

feylya wrote: »
    Ah, rock stars.

Yeah! I mean it's as if they just tell you what you want to hear. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Shame to hear but news just broke that Rob has departed the band as I thought he'd settled in well, not sure if it also spells the end for the Damned Thing's but would assume so. Announcement of a replacement is expected soon as Anthrax shows are meant to be unaffected by this so who'll it be Spitz?, Kisser?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Shame to hear but news just broke that Rob has departed the band as I thought he'd settled in well, not sure if it also spells the end for the Damned Thing's but would assume so. Announcement of a replacement is expected soon as Anthrax shows are meant to be unaffected by this so who'll it be Spitz?, Kisser?

Seems to be talk online of an Among The Living reunion tour (again, given they did this between 2005 and 2007) with all the members that played on the album.

Given that this year is 25 years since State Of Euphoria was released, it would make for a more apt reunion tour than the already done Among The Living reunion tour.

Of course given that 2013 is the 20th anniversary of a certain album with White Noise in it's title, it is a no brainer as to what reunion I would love to see. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Anthrax releasing a covers album in March.

I might be interested in this, but somehow feel it would have been twice as good with John Bush on vocals.

I was listening to The Greater of Two Evils today, and it's f*cking great.

http://anthrax.com/2013/01/15/anthrax-to-release-anthems-march-19/

Anthems, Anthrax’s long-awaited, eight-track EP that pays tribute to the classic songs by some of Anthrax’s favorite bands from the 1970s, will be released in North America on March 19 (MRI/Megaforce), and on March 22 in Europe (Nuclear Blast). Anthems’s track listing features Rush’s “Anthem,” Thin Lizzy’s “Jailbreak,” “TNT” by AC/DC, Boston’s “Smokin’,” “Big Eyes” by Cheap Trick, Journey’s “Keep on Runnin,” as well as the album version and a special remix of Anthrax’s “Crawl” from the band’s critically-acclaimed 2011 album Worship Music.

Noticed that a lot of Belladonna's interviews have him saying "I" a lot rather than we when talking about group matters, and he also refers to himself as a seperate to the band a lot.

His "I was happy recording together with Anthrax" almost sounds like something someone guesting with the band would say rather than the band's lead singer.

In his old interviews it was always "we", but since around last summer he has being using "I" a lot when talking about the band.

Might be reading too much into it, but I seem to remember something similar happening about midway through the Persistence of Time tour.

• Advertisement

I wonder were there any other reasons for Rob Caggiano's departure. He was with them for the bones of 10 years. If joey left again, I think it's time to call it a day...

seachto7 wrote: »
    I wonder were there any other reasons for Rob Caggiano's departure. He was with them for the bones of 10 years. If joey left again, I think it's time to call it a day...

I reckon he will leave again, and there will be another merrygoround of vocalists. I think how long he stays this times depends on whether the rest of the band want to write new material again or just do another reunion tour based on an old album from the Belladonna era.
    If the latter happens then I think he stays longer, if the former is what the rest of the band want, then I thnk he may go sooner.

Anthrax got lucky when they got Bush first time round as they got a singer that could sing the old stuff as well as having the voice to cater for a switch in sound. When Joey came back the sound became more limited as Joey simply cannot sing the Bush era stuff well.

Must admit I would have loved to have heard Corey Taylor front an Anthrax album and have a say in the song writing.

They should have capitalised on Bush and the reception WHCFYA got. Worship Music would have been great with John Bush on vocals. I got my hands on the last Armored Saint album, and it's not bad. Not Anthrax, but decent enough, and John's vocals are solid.
    I'm off to listen to The Sound of White Noise now. \m/

Interesting about Corey Taylor. I tried to listen to the Stone Sour stuff, and I can't hack it. VERY American "rawk", which seeing as they are American, is understandable. :/

I remember reading an interview years ago where Scott Ian said he had plans to record an album with Dimebag Darrell, and said it would be the "ultimate riff" album. Shame it never came to pass. It was just after the Volume 8 album, which I have grown to really like. It's a litle limited on the technical side of things, as far as riffs go. But they fixed that on WHCFYA...

They should have capitalised on Bush and the reception WHCFYA got. Worship Music would have been great with John Bush on vocals. I got my hands on the last Armored Saint album, and it's not bad. Not Anthrax, but decent enough, and John's vocals are solid.
    I'm off to listen to The Sound of White Noise now. \m/

Interesting about Corey Taylor. I tried to listen to the Stone Sour stuff, and I can't hack it. VERY American "rawk", which seeing as they are American, is understandable. :/

I remember reading an interview years ago where Scott Ian said he had plans to record an album with Dimebag Darrell, and said it would be the "ultimate riff" album. Shame it never came to pass. It was just after the Volume 8 album, which I have grown to really like. It's a litle limited on the technical side of things, as far as riffs go. But they fixed that on WHCFYA...

Taylor is a massive Anthrax fan, and his singing style at times reflects that. Have a listen to the most recent Stone Sour album and parts of it just stink of Anthrax (Bush and Belladonna eras)

Taylor for me would be well able to sing songs from any Anthrax era as well as having the range to add his own stamp to things.

Will never happen, but he would be my dream choice (not including Bush) for frontman should Anthrax need one again.

Should Anthrax need one again, it would be a total laugh. At least, when Bush left, Belladona eventually came back. I know there was another lad whose name escapes me. Dan _____?

Or else Corey should go and record an album with Charlie and Frankie and release it under a different name. Now THAT would be cool...

Should Anthrax need one again, it would be a total laugh. At least, when Bush left, Belladona eventually came back. I know there was another lad whose name escapes me. Dan _____?

Or else Corey should go and record an album with Charlie and Frankie and release it under a different name. Now THAT would be cool...

Dan Nelson? He was the singer who was originally on Worship Music.

The only other Dan I can think of in the history of Anthrax is Dan Lilker who played bass on Fistful Of Metal, and went on to play with Nuclear Assault amnogst others.

Dan Nelson. That's the man. Listened to Sound of White Noise again yesterday. Class album. Bush is the man, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Anthrax releasing a covers album in March.

I might be interested in this, but somehow feel it would have been twice as good with John Bush on vocals.

I was listening to The Greater of Two Evils today, and it's f*cking great.

http://anthrax.com/2013/01/15/anthrax-to-release-anthems-march-19/

Anthems, Anthrax’s long-awaited, eight-track EP that pays tribute to the classic songs by some of Anthrax’s favorite bands from the 1970s, will be released in North America on March 19 (MRI/Megaforce), and on March 22 in Europe (Nuclear Blast). Anthems’s track listing features Rush’s “Anthem,” Thin Lizzy’s “Jailbreak,” “TNT” by AC/DC, Boston’s “Smokin’,” “Big Eyes” by Cheap Trick, Journey’s “Keep on Runnin,” as well as the album version and a special remix of Anthrax’s “Crawl” from the band’s critically-acclaimed 2011 album Worship Music.

Their version of Anthem by Rush is streaming on Rolling Stone's website here:

http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/player/anthrax1.html

Not sure what to make of it,will need a few more listens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

"always standing on the inside looking out!"

• Advertisement

Don't like the Rush cover. Love Charlie's drumming on it, but that's about it. Joey's vocals sound auto-tuned to death in terms of both key and pitch, and for probably the first time since I first heard him play back in the early 80's I don't like Frank's bass work.

Advertisement