Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthrax appreciation thread!

Options
  • 17-10-2012 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

In anticipation of there gig here next month and due to the lack of an appreciation thread, I decided I'd make one for these thrash titans and all they've done for thrash and metal in general! So what do you like about anthrax and what are your experiences involving the band or their music?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Only any good with John Bush.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

ush wrote: »

Why does it have to be one or the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I was at the top hat show. This'll be a short thread. I anticipate the boards equivalent of 2 and a half songs and a strop...

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

endacl wrote: »
    I was at the top hat show. This'll be a short thread. I anticipate the boards equivalent of 2 and a half songs and a strop...

;-)

Depends on the level of spitting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Oh, you're one of those guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Love Anthrax. The John Bush era was my favourite, but I grew up with them being my favourite Big Four band.

Bought Spreading The Disease when it was released and was hooked.

Some of the chopping and changing (not to mention shyte spouted by Scott Ian) in recent years has taken from how I see the band now, but the Belladonna era from Spreading to Persistence will always sound great to me, and The Bush era just clicked for me with Sound being one of my all time favourite albums.

Does not hurt that the band also contains one of my favourite drummers of all time and probably my favourite metal/rock Bass player as well.

Still cannot get into the most recent album though despite getting to the stage where I would just put it on to see if it would grow on me. I think if the same album was released by a bunch of unknowns it would not have gotten as much effort. It just sounds like an album made for a gruffer voice that had bits of Persistence tacked onto it to suit Belladonna.

What does bug me about Anthrax now is the fact that the Bush era gets ignored to a large degree live save for Only. I assume this is because Belladonna does not have the range to sing it. At least when Bush was there it meant that Anthrax material from any era could be sang live.

Check out the album "the greater of two evils" with Bush in vocals. Or Music for Mass Destruction. Bush all the way for me, but saying that, Persistence of Time is a good album.........

seachto7 wrote: »
    Check out the album "the greater of two evils" with Bush in vocals. Or Music for Mass Destruction. Bush all the way for me, but saying that, Persistence of Time is a good album.........

Persistence is a great album for me. It still sounds as good today as when I bought it some 20 years ago. I still have the cassette version I bought on release day and can remember standing outside the shop unfolding the inlay sleeve to look at the artwork and read the lyrics as the cassette was playing away in my walkman.

Have loads of similar memories of great albums from the 80's and early 90's where I would have the walkman with me on release day to I could start to listen asap.

Early 80's consisted of vinyl purchases and pouring over artwork as I scurried home to pop it on the record player.

Another great memory of way back then which I have mentioned before was my running battles with Pete Burns (he of Dead Or Alive fame) over various Iron Maiden albums that I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm a Belladonna fan.:o

• Advertisement

Among the Living is still good too, but the high vocals grate on me after a while. I think Bush's vocal seems to have aged better, as in the albums don't sound as dated as some of the early thrash stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

'Among the Living' and 'Spreading the disease' are two of my favourite albums...though I like the side project S.O.D even more :D

Lars1916 wrote: »
    'Among the Living' and 'Spreading the disease' are two of my favourite albums...though I like the side project S.O.D even more :D

And a more recent side project would be The Damned Things which has Scott Ian and Rob Caggiano as members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I remember hearing Only when it was released as a single. It was lights years ahead of anything done under the Anthrax banner. The Sound of White Noise, Stomp 442, The Threat Is Real and We've Come for You All were better than anything any of the other Big 4 were doing at the time. He got turfed out for the nostalgia tours they're doing now.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'm a Belladonna fan.:o

Nowt wrong with that when one looks at the list of Anthrax albums he was involved with.

Three of the best Anthrax albums came during his first spell with the band and I think Persistence is the highlight of his career as well as being a good shout for being a metal classic. For me it is my second favourite Anthrax album behind Sound, and it is massive fun to play along that album on Bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Was at their gigs in the Ambassador in '03, '04 & '05. Met Rob in Bruxelles after one of those nights.
    It is a pity that we're not going to hear any Bush era tunes next month in Dublin. I really like the 'We've Come For You All' album for example.
    I find I can't really get into the new album myself either. Bought a nice copy of it on vinyl too!

Lucifer31 wrote: »
    Was at their gigs in the Ambassador in '03, '04 & '05. Met Rob in Bruxelles after one of those nights.
    It is a pity that we're not going to hear any Bush era tunes next month in Dublin. I really like the 'We've Come For You All' album for example.
    I find I can't really get into the new album myself either. Bought a nice copy of it on vinyl too!

Seen them a few times since Belladonna came back and the only Bush era tune that got an airing was Only, and Joey has not got the voice for that song.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Lars1916 wrote: »

S.O.D was great but I can't stand Billy Milano :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

S.O.D was great but I can't stand Billy Milano :p

His other project (M.O.D.) was a bit weird alright ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Mister Doofus on patrol - classic.

Among the Living is a superb early thrash classic. Remember listening to this in hospital almost repeadedly for 3 weeks in 1988.

Sound of white noise was good. State of Euphoria and Disease were ok too i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Doesn't seem too popular with some fans but i thought Worship Music was a real return to form for the band. Some great tunes which admittedly at times veer towards hard rock more than trash but great tunes all the same.

Never knew until last weekend that Dan Spitz released an album this year (think it came out last year in the US).

I thought the guy was still working away as a watchmaker after he had gotten rid of all his guitars, every cd he owned, and totally quit music some years back.

th?id=I.4792647437059562&pid=15.1

http://www.redlambofficial.com/

The album is written by Spitz and Dave Mustaine. (All the music is written by Spitz and they share credits for the lyrics.)

Seems that Spitz is back to music to raise money and awareness about autism (one of his kids is autistic)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

lord lucan wrote: »
    I thought Worship Music was a real return to form for the band. Some great tunes which admittedly at times veer towards hard rock more than trash but great tunes all the same.

Been meaning to give it a gander but I'm sure they'll play a couple tracks at the gig on Friday, so I'm interested to hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Really looking forward to tonight’s gig. Any idea on the support? Last time I saw Anthrax was with Bush at the helm, I’ve never seen steam emanate off a human quite like that. Can’t believe Scott Ian is 48!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Really looking forward to tonight’s gig. Any idea on the support? Last time I saw Anthrax was with Bush at the helm, I’ve never seen steam emanate off a human quite like that. Can’t believe Scott Ian is 48!

A band called Sacred Mother Tongue are supporting Anthrax tonight. Doors are at 7pm, support are on stage at 7.15 and Anthrax are on stage at 8.15.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Passenger wrote: »
    A band called Sacred Mother Tongue are supporting Anthrax tonight. Doors are at 7pm, support are on stage at 7.15 and Anthrax are on stage at 8.15.

:)

Thanks man!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

love early anthrax but always felt they became the band they were meant to be with bush. we've come for you all was just... incredible. love volume 8 too buit WCFA (and the live dvd that came with my copy) were just... I dont know how to put it.. a revelation in terms of what I could expect from anthrax.

then belladona came back.. as much as I do love the early stuff, after WCFA.. I've no real interest in what they do from here on out.

John Bush all the way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

All time best anthrax song without a doubt

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Kess73 wrote: »
    Nowt wrong with that when one looks at the list of Anthrax albums he was involved with.

Three of the best Anthrax albums came during his first spell with the band and I think Persistence is the highlight of his career as well as being a good shout for being a metal classic. For me it is my second favourite Anthrax album behind Sound, and it is massive fun to play along that album on Bass.
    Among the living is the classic anthrax album as agreed by everyone who knows anything about the band.

Advertisement