Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Impounded. What happens now?

Options
  • 16-10-2012 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

My stepsons car was impounded today by the Guards, nothing on the the windscreen, I know stupid... but what happens to it now? If he can't afford to get the car released and it gets crushed, will he still be liable for the fees? Sorry if this has been brought up recently, I've had a look and nothing for the last 12 months, but I'm a bit ignorant to all this.
    Thanks in advance for any help guys..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

travis1976 wrote: »
    My stepsons car was impounded today by the Guards, nothing on the the windscreen, I know stupid... but what happens to it now? If he can't afford to get the car released and it gets crushed, will he still be liable for the fees? Sorry if this has been brought up recently, I've had a look and nothing for the last 12 months, but I'm a bit ignorant to all this.
    Thanks in advance for any help guys..

He will still be liable for fees.
    He may also be prosecuted for not having tax and insurance. Was he told to present his documents to a Garda Station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭travis1976

He's in a bit of a daze, was told the car was being taken to an impound yard in Galway, and his details were taken. But he wasn't given anymore details, as in who to contact or what to do. First time being pulled over. Thanks for the info.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

If he signs a disclaimer the car will be crushed and he will not be liable for any fees.

Who pays for the Gardai, towing company?

The Tax payer.

He will be summonsed to court for having no license or insurance and when there he will most likely get free legal aid for a solicitor to represent him for anywhere form 1-10 court appearances.

Who pays?

The tax payer.

After, and if he is convicted he can appeal this conviction to the circuit court where if he is on legal aid another solicitor or barrister will be provided for him for both mention and hearing dates, no matter how many there is.

Who pays?

Yes you guessed it, The tax payer again!!

Crime really does pay, for some!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

He should go to the garda station with his insurance certificate, nct certificate and drivers licence. He would of been asked what garda station he would like to produce in.
    If it was for tax he will have to tax it (including arrears) and produce this at the impound/towing services yard.
    Depending on where it was taken there is a daily charge for holding the car. 50 euro would be my estimate.

Unless he omitted to having no insurance in which case he will get a court summons in the next month or two and be prepared for a two year ban and a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

If he had no tax, this will have to be purchased, including back tax. If no insurance either, then who knows?

I was in the local scrap metal yard last year getting some RSJ for a job I was doind, and the yards skip lorry arrived with a mint MercedesW124 300 Diesel on the back. I had one of them myself, and asked the yard owner if I could get the leather seats from it. He said "no way", the yard had been contacted by the Gardai to bring this one particular car to the yard, and to crush it at once. I did get the headlamp I needed while the workers drained the oils, but then it was into the crusher. I nearly cried. While I was in the office paying for the bits and pieces I had bought, the Superintendent rang to confirm its distruction. Seems it was being used as an illegal Taxi, and not insured, when it was stopped.
    Iver in Cavan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,706 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was it a case of nothing on the window or nothing? It will be easier to reclaim the car if insurance, tax and nct were in place but if they were not it won't be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If he had no tax, this will have to be purchased, including back tax.

Even still, he is still guilty of driving with no tax at the time he was stopped, so buying the tax even after being pulled doesn't rectify anything.

Not making excuses for him, but He's just back to work after 16 weeks off with a badly broken arm, the insurance was cancelled. The car hasn't passed nct on emmissions, and therefore the tax is also out. He gets payed monthly and is a week away from payday. Wasn't entitled to sickpay as he's a temp worker.

"If he signs a disclaimer the car will be crushed and he will not be liable for any fees.

The Tax payer.

He will be summonsed to court for having no license or insurance and when there he will most likely get free legal aid for a solicitor to represent him for anywhere form 1-10 court appearances.

Who pays?

The tax payer.

After, and if he is convicted he can appeal this conviction to the circuit court where if he is on legal aid another solicitor or barrister will be provided for him for both mention and hearing dates, no matter how many there is.

Who pays?

Crime really does pay, for some!"

Turner, no-one is trying to do the country out of money, but what's a lad to do. He's trying his best to keep a job until he can pay what he owes, but can't pay the tax on a car with no NCT.. any ideas on how to do that will be gratefully accepted....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Not making excuses for him, but He's just back to work after 16 weeks off with a badly broken arm, the insurance was cancelled. The car hasn't passed nct on emmissions, and therefore the tax is also out. He gets payed monthly and is a week away from payday. Wasn't entitled to sickpay as he's a temp worker.

"If he signs a disclaimer the car will be crushed and he will not be liable for any fees.

The Tax payer.

Who pays?

The tax payer.

Who pays?

Crime really does pay, for some!"

Turner, no-one is trying to do the country out of money, but what's a lad to do. He's trying his best to keep a job until he can pay what he owes, but can't pay the tax on a car with no NCT.. any ideas on how to do that will be gratefully accepted....

He had no insurance. He can have no complaints about whatever happens.

He fully accepts that he is in the wrong, I did only ask the question if he would still be liable for fees if they crushed the car. AFAIK he'd have them crush the car tomorrow, rather than be stuck with a huge bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's alright, he probably won't have a valid license after driving with no insurance, tax or NCT, so he won't need to worry about it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You can tax a car without an NCT they tend not to look for proof of it.

It's the no insurance that had that car impounded though, what sort of madness was in his head driving without any insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Turner wrote: »
    If he signs a disclaimer the car will be crushed and he will not be liable for any fees.

The Tax payer.

Who pays?

The tax payer.

Who pays?

Crime really does pay, for some!

For no tax or insurance more than likely he will not get legal aid, it is very very very rare for motor offences to get legal aid. Maybe if its a third offence and there is a risk of jail but not a first offence.

In relation to appeal to CC there is a single set fee no matter how many days and legal aid in appeal if granted will only cover solicitor, if solicitor gets barrister to do the appeal his fee is paid by the solicitor out of the fee the solicitor gets.

BTW fines for no tax, license, insurance and no NCT, between 500 and 1000, who pays that, the accused to who? Well it's the state who the fines are paid too.

OK guys, thanks for the info. I'll leave it for now, all I can do is tell him to head into the local station and see what they have to say. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

It's a bad place to be, I feel sorry for the lad.
    Not nice when you have people being dicks about it on here either but that's gonna happen.
    Not likely he'll be an exception and get off lightly with a small fine but if I were you OP I'd go down to the local garda station and try talk to someone who will shed some light on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,706 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not nice when you have people being dicks about it on here either but that's gonna happen.
    Not likely he'll be an exception and get off lightly with a small fine but if I were you OP I'd go down to the local garda station and try talk to someone who will shed some light on the situation.

Well "people on here" pay many thousands for their cars and associated motoring costs in this country, to have some scrote driving around with no insurance or tax would tend to p a few of us off as we are paying for him and his like...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Your stepson was driving with no tax, no insurance& no NCT ? UN-f'ing believable. No excuses.

Was he just having a few pints as well?

Think he will be liable for the crush costs - and can also be persued and prosecuted for ALL the other offences.

Ignoring or walking away from his responsibilities didn't make them just go away. ...& he's trying it on AGAIN with the crush-fees?

Beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the insurance was cancelled. The car hasn't passed nct on emmissions, and therefore the tax is also out.
    If the car gets crushed, he gets off lightly.

Getting banned from driving for 10 years is what I hope happens. I don't care much about the tax and NCT to an extent, but when he drives with no insurance, he deserves getting the book thrown at him!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Even still, he is still guilty of driving with no tax at the time he was stopped, so buying the tax even after being pulled doesn't rectify anything.

Much like the old "but I need my car for work you honour, please let me off". back taxiing it once caught seems to be a way to get off easy here. It's ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

You know where is a worse place to be? Getting hit by some asshole who hasn't bothered to get insurance.

Op he will not have to pay the impound fees if he signs the disclaimer to have the car scrapped. Otherwise he'll be charged a daily storage rate plus the towing fee.

He'd be best to get the car scrapped and start saving his money for his court appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I'm pretty sure cars which go unclaimed in the pound are eventually crushed at the expense of the taxpayer.
    OP do all motorists a favor-if or when he gets his licence revoked be sure to report him should he feel the urge to drive again. Not saying he will,but just in case!
    I was young and stupid too as regards motoring and until he learns his lesson he might try something foolish again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

if its "not making Excuses" why didnt your son tell the guardai he wasnt insured, no tax or NCT due to breaking his arm and being out of work for 16 weeks -im sure the guard would have fully understood and let him on his way

deserves his car scrapped and infront of the court, that will teach him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

if its "not making Excuses" why didnt your son tell the guardai he wasnt insured, no tax or NCT due to breaking his arm and being out of work for 16 weeks -im sure the guard would have fully understood and let him on his way

deserves his car scrapped and infront of the court, that will teach him

Maybe if the Tax & NCT we a little out of date, but NO Gard will EVER let someone off if they had no insurance.

You are either insured or you are not, there is no middle ground

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OK guys, thanks for the info. I'll leave it for now, all I can do is tell him to head into the local station and see what they have to say. Thanks again.
    This is really the best course of action imo, the guards will be able to tell you/him what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭green123

I feel sorry for the lad.

i have no sympathy for him and i hope he gets the maximum punishment.
    if you cant afford to pay all the costs of motoring then you dont have a car - simple as that.

unfortunately he will get off lightly with a small fine which will cost him less than the tax and insurance that he didnt pay.
    how ridiculous is that ?
    Well "people on here" pay many thousands for their cars and associated motoring costs in this country, to have some scrote driving around with no insurance or tax would tend to p a few of us off as we are paying for him and his like...

a very annoying situation.

and similar to the debt relief for mortgages that is in the news again today.

if people cant afford all the costs of a house or a car then you simply dont own them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

green123 wrote: »
    i have no sympathy for him and i hope he gets the maximum punishment.
    if you cant afford to pay all the costs of motoring then you dont have a car - simple as that.

unfortunately he will get off lightly with a small fine which will cost him less than the tax and insurance that he didnt pay.
    how ridiculous is that ?

a very annoying situation.

and similar to the debt relief for mortgages that is in the news again today.

if people cant afford all the costs of a house or a car then you simply dont own them

Yeah, thats how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭green123

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Yeah, thats how it works.

well that is how it should work.

unfortunately some people think that they are entitled to own houses and cars even if they cant afford to pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,374 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's not nice having our premiums loaded to pay for those The don't have insurance. it's not nice having to pay higher taxes because some people aren't paying theres.

Is he a trades man? what does he do for a living?
    it's not nice when someone in business is pricing a job and has to compete with this that have far less overheads due to them not obeying the law of the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

mullingar wrote: »
    Maybe if the Tax & NCT we a little out of date, but NO Gard will EVER let someone off if they had no insurance.

You are either insured or you are not, there is no middle ground

I was being sarcastic, dont think my original post showed that

• Advertisement

Your stepson was driving with no tax, no insurance& no NCT ? UN-f'ing believable. No excuses.

Was he just having a few pints as well?

Think he will be liable for the crush costs - and can also be persued and prosecuted for ALL the other offences.

Ignoring or walking away from his responsibilities didn't make them just go away. ...& he's trying it on AGAIN with the crush-fees?

Beyond belief.

Excuse me, where did you come up with the idea that he was trying it on? I was asking the question you ass.

And as for the rest of the comments, with certain exceptions, Why don't you all come down off your pillars and have a look at how the rest of the world has to manage.

Atlantic Dawn, you might feel like a big man slagging people off on an internet forum, but "Scrote" is a bit strong in my belief. But whatever gets you off.

Look guys, What the lad did was stupid, he's not been driving the car round everyday or whatever. He's gotten the car out of impound and is disposing of it himself, legally. He has been to the guards. I never said he was trying to get out of it, not pay etc. We didn't know what the procedure was and I was asking for a bit of help.

MODS... Close this thread please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement