Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bing vs. Google: Which Search Engine is Best?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

None of the above. Firefox foe me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

yahoo search
    beats all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

People actually use Bing????

Its actually rubbish. Google actually finds what you're searching for. Used Bing once and it sent me around in circles.

Google all the way. Google is a now a verb for a reason. Something Bing will never be.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Been using bing for well over a year, It's always been not great, but I like a challenge, sometimes you almost have to lead it to a website, but lately it's really getting worse, some page results just seem complete ramdom, afraid to use more terms in defining what I'm looking for as results just go further of target or the "no result" (A search engine that often comes back with "no result").

Bing reminds me of a dog, you throw out a bone and say fetch, sometimes comes back with the bone or something else & you almost have to walk over and point at the bone, sometimes gets lost & sometimes justs sits there looking at you with an expression, "you want the bone go fetch it yourself"

I went to Bing-help for help in refining results, their solution if you can't find what your looking for is to wikipedia it, then use the reference links to find the page. Seriously this is actually their solution.

Bing gives a binging headache, but has character & is the underdog, so sticking with it a while longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Tomk1,

I found that last part hard to believe, but it's actually true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Encyclopedia britannica cd rom for windows 95

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

i m trying bing for a change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Bing it. I'm sure they'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

This is a joke question, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I worked for MS for 18 months and even we all used Google.

Everyone in the know, was aware Bing copied the Google search algorithms, wether that is still the case or not I don't know.

I'm all for moving from the "norm" to another type of software or platform if I feel it will grow, or needs help growing, but with Microsoft and the web, you can be sure it will be rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

This is a joke question, right?

It has to be. Bing is terrible, and Im pretty sure the only people that use it are those who've had their homepage/search bar changed by some crappy addon that came with a program they downloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Lycos

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ahem http://blog.paulnshapiro.com/bingiton-google-wins/

They also only offered a retry if Bing lost

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Bing inflicted itself on me for a while, and while I didn't stop to analyse why it annoyed me, I got rid of it pretty quick.

What I would like is to be able to search for stuff - government agencies for example - and bring up Irish stuff before UK (North of Ireland) stuff. The only way seems to be to put ie in the search and even that doesn't always work. Even when you put Waterford, Ireland you can get a load of stuff about Waterford USA.

On the subject of websites (and a bit off topic, sorry), is there any reason why they don't indicate the original country of the site? Its often necessary to search through a site to find a £ sign or a $ sign to see what you will be up against if ordering, and even $ can be one of a number of countries. Could the search engine specify the country of origin in the results?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tomk1 wrote: »
    Bing gives a binging headache, but has character & is the underdog, so sticking with it a while longer.
    I'd hardly call the company that has a defacto monopoly on PC operating systems an underdog.

There are a lot of better underdog candidates out there

The constant nagging of windows update to allow Bing desktop has gone beyond a joke.

For me the acid test of a microsoft search engine is it's ability to look up stuff on technet (microsoft technical database which they have full control over) and they have consistently failed to impress - and that's going back to the 1990's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Google have had the best algorithems for years in search and continue to improve. MS is falling behind in most of its businesses and Bing will be a failure I reckon too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'd hardly call the company that has a defacto monopoly on PC operating systems an underdog.

There are a lot of better underdog candidates out there

The constant nagging of windows update to allow Bing desktop has gone beyond a joke.

For me the acid test of a microsoft search engine is it's ability to look up stuff on technet (microsoft technical database which they have full control over) and they have consistently failed to impress - and that's going back to the 1990's
    As has Google's constant nagging to install Chrome and add Google to my Start Screen (Win8).

Bing is pretty awful which is a pity as some competition for Google would be nice. Duck Duck Go really fcuked up with their stupid name too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Bing feels wrong! Google search all the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I like how you can drag images onto the Google Image search to find sites using that image. Useful for finding related images/images from a set, or for finding the background story for a photo etc.
    I also like the 'similar images' function.

Google's Advanced Search is really powerful, though not easily accessible from the homepage for some odd reason. I just have it bookmarked as my homepage.

I don't really know how good Bing is, as Google does everything I need so I don't need to try other tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iFergal

Don't really see much point in using anything other than Google, it's clearly the best. :)

Other search engines just don't feel right, lol - Google's automatic searching is always a plus anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement