Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bing vs. Google: Which Search Engine is Best?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

PC CDROM wrote: »
    But It's Not Google!

Recursive acronyms is where it's at...

Bing Is Not Google

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bing search results are more affected by poisoning than those of other search engines, according to a study by SophosLabs.
    SophosLabs blocks attempts to "redirect" surfers from search engines to dodgy sites and can therefore monitor the scale of search engine poisoning attacks. Two thirds (65 per cent) of the poisoned search results blocked by Sophos appliances over the last two weeks originated from Bing while 30 per cent came via Google. The other 5 per cent came via alternative search engines. The true state of play is probably even worse than these raw statistics suggest because Google is the most popular search engine, a factor not accounted for in these raw figures.

The vast majority of dodgy redirects (92 per cent) blocked by Sophos related to image searches. Only eight per cent related to text searches.

If you ignore the dangers of using Bing , it's a pretty bad search engine.

When looking for information in Technet I've used Altavista and Google since the 1990's in preference to what ever search engine Microsoft provide.

Just to be clear.
    Microsoft have complete control of all the Technet information so they have no excuse.

I haven't used Bing in a while.

Anyone know if it still uses Google ?
    http://googleblog.blogspot.ie/2011/02/microsofts-bing-uses-google-search.html
    As we see it, this experiment confirms our suspicion that Bing is using some combination of:

Internet Explorer 8, which can send data to Microsoft via its Suggested Sites feature
    the Bing Toolbar, which can send data via Microsoft’s Customer Experience Improvement Program

or possibly some other means to send data to Bing on what people search for on Google and the Google search results they click. Those results from Google are then more likely to show up on Bing. Put another way, some Bing results increasingly look like an incomplete, stale version of Google results—a cheap imitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

All search engines bring up the same results more or less. What lets them down is that crappy image search they all seem to have now. Google is at an advantage in that regard as you can 'switch to basic view', which is the old way of displaying sixteen or so images on each page, rather than loading thousands of images on the one page like Yahoo! and Bing do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Google is a better engine and here is why.

It's not a search engine, it's a headless browser, and that does a much better job of delivering relevant results than a standard search engine (like Yahoo or BING) does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

It's not just the search - try the following in Google:

1. Calculator - type "213-15+8=" or other sum into google
    2. Currency Converter type "162 USD in EUR"
    3. Flight times try "US 733"
    4. Sports results "manchester united"
    5. weather "weather"
    6. Stocks "stocks:msft"
    7. More stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I have a reserved opinion on Bing as it's made by the same company who consider I.E to be good.....

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Www.dogpile.com

Searches several engines in one go. It's been around 10+ years

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm still using Cuil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Didn't Google catch Bing out, they hid a made up result a few pages deep in their search results and it showed up in a Bing search meaning Bing just Googled for the answer

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=GB&ie=UTF-8&source=android-browser&q=Google+catch+Bing+out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Bing is terrible. They're trying so hard to get people to use it, you nearly find it tries to install with every crappy software you download these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I use Google but I think I use it more out of habit than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Still using Lycos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Google for me but I also use it out of habit. Anytime I use Bing or Yahoo etc. it looks wrong to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Google is mighty handy for image results and other things like currency conversions.

Still, back in the day when you needed an mp3 or video clip, AltaVista was number 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

pmcmahon wrote: »
    internet explorer + avg search=Internet of gods.

Effing hate AVG searches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Has Google stopped showing the number of search results when you click the 'pages from Ireland' tab or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

N64 wrote: »
    Whats google? I still use ask Jeeves

I use to think Jeeves was an actual person, that you could ask perplexing questions to that he would then try and answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lianara

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHuZ5qrYX4

I wonder how much Bing paid for that product placement?

I might try it if it didn't have such a ridiculous name.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Goooooooooooooooooooooogle!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Years ago I used a site that anonymized results from Google, Bing and Yahoo. Even back then, the results were all about the same. I don't think I've ever found anything useful past page two of the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Donedeal all the way

But i am a Gman myself. Bing or windows live search or msn were always too confusing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Anyone interested in knowing why google works so well, have a read of this.

http://ipullrank.com/googlebot-is-chrome/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

RO89 is the search engine I use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Bing is the default search engine in work and it regularly fails to find what I'm looking for - so on that basis I prefer google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭ispini1984

Gooooooooooooooooooogle :P:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Has Google stopped showing the number of search results when you click the 'pages from Ireland' tab or is it just me?

Thanks for all the helpful answers guys...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

http://www.doogle.com

Prefer the irish version myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Thanks for all the helpful answers guys...:rolleyes:

How old is your google. i havent seen a only from ireland dot in a year. its a multilingual search. maybe its just the fact i like using google.au,.com(America) and think india and china, even though its set to .ie so truthfully the answer is i can neither conform or deny that they have removed the amount but on the .ie standard its still there. i typed google into google.ie and got About 13,460,000,000 results (0.20 seconds)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Bing. I will fight anyone who says otherwise

Advertisement