Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadly Premonition Directors Cut coming to PS3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

This is one of those games I really wanted to love. I really tried to get into, and I can see why if snuck it's way onto a lot of people's top ten lists, but unfortunately, it just didn't do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Never would play it but really enjoyed Giantbombs endurance run of this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't let muppets like the Giantbomb guys and IGN put you off this game. If you think you are willing to forgive some gameplay flaws so that you can enjoy one of the most interesting games released in a long time then give it a go. It seems the combat is being reworked as well and since the only bad thing this game had going for it was the combat then hopefully it will improve things greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

@Retr0gamer, You've said twice in this thread that this game hasn't got great gameplay. Should that not really rule out recommending a game if it is not fun to play? There are so many games out that one could never hope to play them all. Would it not be better to spend time on a game that is fun to play?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

@Retr0gamer, You've said twice in this thread that this game hasn't got great gameplay. Should that not really rule out recommending a game if it is not fun to play? There are so many games out that one could never hope to play them all. Would it not be better to spend time on a game that is fun to play?

I never said it wasn't fun I said the combat was crap. It's the stuff outside the combat that makes it fun and interesting, Combat is only a small part of the game and was shoehorned in by publisher pressure.

You ask me if it's worth playing with so many other games out there, well I say it is. For me it's one of the best videogame experiences this generation has to offer. However it might not be for everyone. If you are looking for a game where shooting enemies is fun and that's all you do then it's not for you. If you can trudge past some poor combat sections and can put up with dodgy car controls so you can enjoy one of the more interesting gaming experiences around with some of the best writing and storytelling that the medium can offer then it's well worth taking a chance on it.

One big problem the game has is it opens with one of the poor combat sections but get through that and the game begins proper. It's not a third person action game like Resident Evil it's more like a mix of Shenmue with Heavy Rain except in the case of Deadly Premonition is has excellent story, acting and writing compared to how poor those are in Heavy Rain.

Read the reviews for the game from the likes of 1up and eurogamer and not muppets like IGN and Giantbomb masquerading as knowledgeable journalists and you'll get a better idea of what the game offers, flaws and good points. I can't say it's for everyone but there is nothing else like it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Because it has more interesting game and narrative design than 99% of other games. It's thoroughly enjoyable just for the sheer eccentricity of the whole enterprise. Probably more quotable than even Portal. Extremely memorable characters. The single best gaming musical composition ever in the form of 'the whistle theme'. The last point is pretty much fact.

Yes, the gunplay is infuriating (until you unlock the uber-weapons, which makes it much easier to deal with). It's super-low budget. It's a shameless rip-off of Twin Peaks. It is not the best game ever made by any stretch of the imagination. Yet it's still thoroughly enjoyable and distinctive. The director's cut promises to fix many of the rough edges. Even if it doesn't, it's well worth the time commitment for anyone interested in strange, original games. Very much a case of so bad it's actually pretty much brilliant.

wsaying the car controls are dodgy could be the understatement of the year. They're abysmal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Why all the Giantbomb hate? I don't get it.

snausages wrote: »
    Why all the Giantbomb hate? I don't get it.

It's just from me. I really think the guys on it are clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Game is odd as anything but at the same time engrossing. Really is a love it or hate it type game. Don't let the fact Jim Sterling/Destructiod said it was good put you off either ;)

• Advertisement

Game is odd as anything but at the same time engrossing. Really is a love it or hate it type game. Don't let the fact Jim Sterling/Destructiod said it was good put you off either ;)

jim Sterling used to use it's theme tune in the background for his older videos.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's just from me. I really think the guys on it are clueless.

Even if they are clueless as you say, why does that matter? They've never really presented themselves as arbiters of strict objectivity. They've always seemed like fairly unpretentious dudes to me. Which is why I enjoy the content they produce, though Patrick Klepek grates from time to time.

Funnily enough, their endurance run was probably the chief contributor to DP's cult following. Jeff and Vinny seemed to really enjoy the game.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm trying to get into this on the 360, the controls are just painful. I can see the potential, I just need to keep going until it becomes more rewarding.

I'm a big Twin Peaks fan, I'm not sure I appreciate them ripping it off wholesale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

5uspect wrote: »
    I'm a big Twin Peaks fan, I'm not sure I appreciate them ripping it off wholesale.

It walks a dangerous line in that regard, and I don't think it's possible to discuss the game in any depth without mentioning Twin Peaks. There are some bits that are outright theft. Then again, Alan Wake is guilty of similar crimes. And for all its sub-Lynchian weirdness and direct emulation, Deadly Premonition does have many memorable scenes, characters and quotes all of its own. Consider the **** combat the crappy second half of series two you need to trudge through to get to the bitchin' finale ;)

Like Twin Peaks, it has occasional flashes of brilliance but you have to trudge through a lot of **** to get to the good bits. So if you're a Twin Peaks fan and have sat through every single cringey soap-opera filler storyline, you'll have no trouble getting through DP.

Thankfully, it never reaches the lows of the James Hurley storyline in season 2.

It's got a very satisfying conclusion so it's well worth sticking with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Just came across the trailer for this on PS Blog.
    I've never played the game or seen Twin Peaks but based on the trailer and johnny-ultimate and Retr0gamers comments I'm definitely interested.

Couldn't find much about it online but did come across this preview.
    I'm not a big fan of IGN either but I find Keza MacDonald good.
    Anyway, apparently the combat, driving and visuals have been improved and there's a sequel coming down the line.

"There’s a lock-on now in combat, and the shooting controls – which previously mimicked the controller-wrestling native to the early PlayStation era of survival horror – are smoother. Driving, too, feels less like propelling a giant brick across an ice rink, though the mosquito-whine of the car’s engine still raises a smile.

Visually it’s also been improved – part of Deadly Premonition’s weirdness stems from the fact that it had been in development for so long that many of the game’s assets and textures were PS2-era, which made the game look totally anachronistic in 2010. It’s still got that strange look about it, but it’s just a little less janky than it was before."

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/02/11/deadly-premonition-directors-cut-preview

Ignore the comments about ropey controls and visuals. You play this one for the story and the writing. It's just a shame that some of the combat sequences are a slog but it's always worth getting through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It's a great game. Loved it. The combat isn't great by any means... I think of it as much the same as you know those games where driving isn't the main mechanic, and the driving sequences just feel off because the engine wasn't really designed for driving games, but we overlook it because the driving isn't what the game is about. I think the same here about the combat. it's all about the dialog/story/characters. It's a very well realised world. You go in to a small town as an FBI agent, and immediately you can go around and at this point, everyone is a suspect, and an unknown. You can see people walking around/driving with question marks over their head, and you talk to them, and then you'll see their names over the head be they walking or in their cars.

I played this a lot on the 360. My main gripe was the map, that you couldn't zoom it out. That is something that is being fixed with the PS3 release, though the map on the 360 was something I got used to. I don't think I'll even need to refer to the map when playing it on the PS3, I think its one of those rare things I'll remember. Am wondering how long the extra content will be, and apparently there is a new ending... Maybe an additional bit further to the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Never played the original or watched Twin Peaks but have heard good things. Sloppy combat and controls won't put me off so I'll definitely pick this up and give it a go!

• Advertisement

Bit of a necro thread but I went into Gamestop today to see if they had it. They had one copy in. 50 euros. Now I know Gamestop have been particularly bad lately since HMV has closed but this is a mark up of about 20-15 euros on the price it should be at considering it's a budget release.

Figured Gamestop would be pricing harsh like that. I preordered it on the Playstation Store. but there has been some issue and it isn't going to be up until May 1st. Was 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

24e at wowhd
    http://www.ie.wowhd.com/games/deadly-premonition-the-directors-cut-playstation-3/dp/32341273#bc=11b7

going to pick this up after iv finished riptide and dragons dogma DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

My favourite game this generation, my brother wont even try it cus ''it looks crap'' but he just doesnt understand that it's so bad that its good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I never heard about this game until I just looked in this thread, immediately ordered a copy! Looks like my cup of tea, or should I say, coffee.

What a joke. I preordered this game on the understanding it would be available on the 26th of April. I got an email notifying me of a delay, that it would be available for download on the first of May. I see the game was still getting a release, it hadn't been delayed. I look to download it today, and I see an expected download of 3rd of May. Ridiculous. I am supposed to be giving a lend of my PS3 to someone and I wanted to get this downloaded before I did so.

This is crazy. On the 26th of April I got the following email (day they had said DP would be available for download):
    Our records show that you have pre-ordered 'Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut Preorder Pack' from PlayStation®Store. We regret to inform you that due to technical issues, Deadly Premonition will miss its expected release date of 26th April. We are working hard to resolve these issues as quickly as possible. Unfortunately we are unable to provide a revised release date at this time. For the most up-to-date information please visit the product page, which can be found here:
    https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/cid=EP4034-NPEJ00140_00-B000000000000397

Be advised your pre-order has not been cancelled and as of 24/04/2013 your Sony Entertainment Network Wallet has not been charged. The charge date for your pre-order will be revised based on the new release date. If you require any assistance, please visit the PlayStation Support page which can be found here: http://eu.playstation.com/support/

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

The PlayStation®Store Team
    The download date was put back to the 1st of May and then the 3rd of May. Well, its the third now, and it isn't downloading. Not just that either, but its expected to download at some point today, not that it matters too much. Expected playable date is the 8th?

Edit: That link still has the date for download down on the first. It's a different story on the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Enjoying this so far. There seems to be more cut scenes than gameplay, which is fine considering how good the story and characters are, and how basic the gameplay is. It's kinda weird playing a game now with graphics that look like the PS1.

Fantastic intro sequence, very cinematic and I don't think I've ever seen anything like it in a game. Nice dark and quirky soundtrack, obviously like nearly everything else in the game inspired by Twin Peaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Think I'll pick this up after Grid and The Last of Us. Was looking up the trophies to get a sense of what you do in the game and they just sound mental. I watched an interview with the devs and they said they made the combat easier so you can get through it faster and get to the good stuff. I saw you can unlock fast travel. Is that a new feature? If not, sounds like it would have replaced the driving complaints?

Sounds like a crazy game, mad intrigued to play it.

• Advertisement

There wasn't fast travel in the original. I got the director's cut too, but it's on the backlog. I'm looking forward to seeing the new bits added, but there are other priorities for gaming time. Right now, for instance, Metro Last Light.

Advertisement