Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

door2door distributors?

Options
  • 16-10-2012 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Got a call saying I got the job in my area.Have to drive my own car delivering telephone directories.Have to go to a briefing tomorrow.Anyone do this before before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Yes but I ate them all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Yes but I ate them all

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Prepare to be despised by both the people you dump these things on, and the twats you're working for. You'll be doing well to last a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Anyone do this before?

So you're asking us if anybody over the course of history has ever had a job delivering telephone directories?

Pretty fucking doubtful to be honest mate... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Just fire them out of the car as you're going. They come in plastic so it doesn't matter if they get wet.

Don't ring any doors at all, just leave them outside and be on your way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Prepare to be despised by both the people you dump these things on, and the twats you're working for. You'll be doing well to last a week.

Why would he be despised for delivering directories? They come with coupons and free shit.

Got a call saying I got the job in my area.Have to drive my own car delivering telephone directories.Have to go to a briefing tomorrow.Anyone do this before before?

If it's a small area use your bike and get a large bag and ride around the route. Save wearing out your car and a fortune in petrol, all that stop/starting will eat into your pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

OP - if you're delivering them in my area, please don't ignore my house just because it's 50m from the main road. Haven't had a phonebook since the postman stopped delivering them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Think if it was possible to make money from this, yerman would do it himself.

Those 'have your own car and want to work for free/nearly free/ at a loss to yourself'' ads were long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

A guy was going around door2door trying to help people to make reductions in their bills and he came to the house. Then asked if he could see some of them

Riiiiight..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

As others have said, you'll spend a fortune on petrol alone doing it by car. If you do go for it, don't bother ringing the doorbell, as others have said they come in plastic and will be fine in the rain. Just drop them and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Their only asking you to deliver not sell, the bicycle suggestion is on the money if you have one,

there is no interaction with people, leave it at the door or on the window sill, or just stay in bed and get your minions to do it. (you do have minions?) everybody has a minion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

The bicycle is a terrible idea. How many can you fit into a backpack? You'd be doing trips back to your house (or wherever) to pick up more directories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I done it last year, What a nightmare of a job. The company treat you like ****, messin around with money and just talkin down to you all the time, Then on several days the inspector called us to see where we were that day and said ''ill be out to you lads later'' five minutes after the call he turns up and then later that day i spotted him spying on us in his car..

Then actually delivering the books, You really do have to keep at it, It's very hard making any money at it. Me and my work mate had to do 4 in the mornng till 6 at night just to make any decent money.

I swore i'd never do a job like that again, I think I lasted 6 weeks there and I seen most of the lads leave in that time. That will tell you how bad it is...

The bicycle is a terrible idea. How many can you fit into a backpack? You'd be doing trips back to your house (or wherever) to pick up more directories.

You don't use a back pack, you borrow your mums bike with the basket and the carrier on the back,

fill the car drive to a position mid of your delivery area, start at a point that will take you close to your car ,,,,, ok just tell them you are sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Ah don't knock him for trying, at least he's attempting to do somthing. Admittedly, getting hired to flay lice off the heads of Hill sheep would be more enjoyable, but a job's a job. Takes guts really - it's a curse trying to cram them directories through a letterbox. High pressure/some form of shredder is recommended.

Have to drive my own car delivering telephone directories.

Meant to add i'd say they will put you down as a helper instead of a driver, A car is no good as you just won't make money, You need a van or even a lorry to deliver any decent amount of books..

carzony wrote: »
    Meant to add i'd say they will put you down as a helper instead of a driver, A car is no good as you just won't make money, You need a van or even a lorry to deliver any decent amount of books..

I knew a guy who used to do theses deliveries with his mini, he had a roof rack and tied a box onto it, 4ft by 4ft by 4ft bye bye.

Is it really as bad as ye guys make out?:o

I knew a guy who used to do theses deliveries with his mini, he had a roof rack and tied a box onto it, 4ft by 4ft by 4ft bye bye.
    I saw Mr Bean as well -very funny films.

• Advertisement

Is it really as bad as ye guys make out?:o

well you can make money, but prepare to work 24 hrs a day.. I often nearly worked 2 days non-stop. It actually gets addictive adding up the money in ur head :P Then u get ur cheque :(

carzony wrote: »
    well you can make money, but prepare to work 24 hrs a day.. I often nearly worked 2 days non-stop. It actually gets addictive adding up the money in ur head :P Then u get ur cheque :(

You sir could be a danger, 2 days non-stop while adding, it is a wonder you are still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Telephone directories? People still use those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Telephone directories? People still use those?

You would be surprised, there is still a bit left in the older generation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Never personally done it. But know a few who have.
    Op first off, its a nixer. Something you do while on the social or have another job. Only lasts for a few weeks (if that) ... a nice little earner in the back pocket. Thats all it is.

Op first off, its a nixer. Something you do while on the social or have another job. Only lasts for a few weeks (if that) ... a nice little earner in the back pocket. Thats all it is.

What is the pay like?

^that's pretty much it - one of our lads quit in a huff and took a job like this. After getting bent over the couch by the distribution crowd and working crazy hours, he was paid a whopping €30 a day, which nearly covered his petrol but not quite his other costs. If this was an earner, there'd be a value to the rounds and people would be advertising them on DumDeal, ie "Phone book round for sale, great earnings, offers around 10k".

The fact there isn't, and the ads read more like "Totally broke? No other job offers? Opportunity to earn great money(by Indian standards) distributing stuff we make a fortune on door to door (for a pittance). Must have own car(because there's no way we're springing for a van, you mug) and be self-motivated(i.e you'll get feck all guidance apart from a postal area to "do") and determined(i.e immune to insults and the fact you're not getting paid) Great opportunity(for us), easy money(for us), no catch(for us). Call 1800 IM A GILLIE for more info(spiel).

Might be best to give it a miss. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I've done this twice with them an then delivered comercial post for them and I can honestly say I'd never work for them again.

They look for any reason not to pay you, take weeks when they actually do and when they say they'll pay for diesel/petrol money they're full of ****. Never got anything off them for it

No way of doing it on a bike, that's just mental.
    You're delivering about 2-3k books a day/day and a half so really you'd want a van. They'll expect you to work from 6am-10pm to get stuff done with no over time. Just after I left they fired a heap of workers and dropped the pay rate from €9 an hour to a piece rate, this made it pretty much impossible to make any money if you stopped for a break, paid for lunch or had to pay for petrol.

Horrible company, stay away from them, OP.
    There's better work to be found if you keep on your feet.

Went to the meeting today and it sounds pretty good.You get a map and complete the area then send it back and you are paid.In a 8 hour day you can deliver 350/400 books and works out about 150e a day (40c per book).Take 30 petrol money from that and you can make 600e a week for the 6/7 weeks there doing it for.Nice aul earner.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Went to the meeting today and it sounds pretty good.You get a map and complete the area then send it back and you are paid.In a 8 hour day you can deliver 350/400 books and works out about 150e a day (40c per book).Take 30 petrol money from that and you can make 600e a week for the 6/7 weeks there doing it for.Nice aul earner.:cool:

Did they say are you allowed just throw them out the car window as you drive by the houses?

Advertisement