Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst website 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

Perhaps before making any critical comment, the contributing judging experts should post samples from their respective individual portfolios of excellence? From what I've seen, there's hardly an abundance of inspiration.

I too am surprised that this thread has been allowed to develop, after all who here knows what were the project circumstances/brief in which case it is unfair to developer and/or client.

A lack of professionalism on the part of some?

Honestly? You don't have to design websites for a living to recognise a poorly designed or non user friendly website. Half of the sites posted here are worse than things I created after studying HTML for only a couple weeks. If you've ever gone to a website yourself and felt so frustrated you had to leave, you're fully justified in criticising it.

This oversensitivity to criticism really bugs me. If this thread offends you, probably best you avoid this site... http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Irlandczyk wrote: »
    Honestly? You don't have to design websites for a living to recognise a poorly designed or non user friendly website. Half of the sites posted here are worse than things I created after studying HTML for only a couple weeks. If you've ever gone to a website yourself and felt so frustrated you had to leave, you're fully justified in criticising it.

This oversensitivity to criticism really bugs me. If this thread offends you, probably best you avoid this site... http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com

Those that can do do, and those that can't well, I think they moan about the efforts of others?

Why not put up examples of your own work, lead by example and not through negativity?

28064212 wrote: »

This isn't a professional forum .

Sometimes, I would be inclined to agree but there are many professionals around here, but not enough though.

Those that can do do, and those that can't well, I think they moan about the efforts of others?

Why not put up examples of your own work, lead by example and not through negativity?

Positive reinforcement, I think is the direction your argument is heading in? Yes, it can work to teach or to demonstrate to others that way, and it can be quite effective. In fact, it's great when teaching your dog to sit, or go fetch the paper, but with a creative profession, it is very important to also see what not to do with your designs. In fact, the website I linked in my previous post (while not being very beautiful itself) was created on the basis that there are so many examples of beautiful and functional websites out there for designers to be inspired by, and yet, you still find ugly, unusable, lazy designs by lazy/uninspired designers. Sometimes you need to be called out on your mistakes in order to learn. If that means being lambasted by your peers on an open forum to give you inspiration, then so be it.

As far as I can see, all the sites in this thread are being ridiculed for being lazy, uninspired and/or non-standards compliant. And to be frank, I honestly don't think someone that throws up sites as bad as some featured here actually give a shíte what some people on a forum think of their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Ironically Ned Flanders-es site could do with a little spit and polish as well.

• Advertisement

Positive reinforcement, I think is the direction your argument is heading in? Yes, it can work to teach or to demonstrate to others that way, and it can be quite effective. In fact, it's great when teaching your dog to sit, or go fetch the paper, but with a creative profession, it is very important to also see what not to do with your designs. In fact, the website I linked in my previous post (while not being very beautiful itself) was created on the basis that there are so many examples of beautiful and functional websites out there for designers to be inspired by, and yet, you still find ugly, unusable, lazy designs by lazy/uninspired designers. Sometimes you need to be called out on your mistakes in order to learn. If that means being lambasted by your peers on an open forum to give you inspiration, then so be it.

As far as I can see, all the sites in this thread are being ridiculed for being lazy, uninspired and/or non-standards compliant. And to be frank, I honestly don't think someone that throws up sites as bad as some featured here actually give a shíte what some people on a forum think of their work.

The strange thing about creative people is the lack of objectivity and they always all think they're right. Subjectivity aside, even a dog knows when its time to stop barking.

Experential learning is good, but so too is learning by example, which why I think it would be very useful to demonstrate to all here (professional and others) examples of the creative expertise. Hopefully the peer pressure will not make them shy?

Whistle when you're ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The strange thing about creative people is the lack of objectivity and they always all think they're right. Subjectivity aside, even a dog knows when its time to stop barking.

Experential learning is good, but so too is learning by example, which why I think it would be very useful to demonstrate to all here (professional and others) examples of the creative expertise. Hopefully the peer pressure will not make them shy?

There's a whole forum of examples, not to mention the Website Reviews forum. But that's not what this specific thread is about

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Ironically Ned Flanders-es site could do with a little spit and polish as well.

Yeah, quite true... It's not too easy on the eyes, I'll admit. I often wonder if it's deliberate!

28064212 wrote: »
    There's a whole forum of examples, not to mention the Website Reviews forum. But that's not what this specific thread is about

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

@Sonnenblumen

It's a safe bet that people who frequent the "Software and Web Development > Design" forum of a bulletin board probably have a vested interest in design, and dare I say, are knowledgeable about the subject.

People shouldn't have to qualify their right to an opinion. I dont think anybody here thinks they are the "elite" - besides, it'd just descend into a dick-swinging contest.

@Sonnenblumen

It's a safe bet that people who frequent the "Software and Web Development > Design" forum of a bulletin board probably have a vested interest in design, and dare I say, are knowledgeable about the subject.

People shouldn't have to qualify their right to an opinion. I dont think anybody here thinks they are the "elite" - besides, it'd just descend into a dick-swinging contest.

Fair enough, but IMO a quick look at sample works by some of the 'opinionators' reveals plenty of vested interest of very limited impact.

What's the point if an opinion cannot be explained or 'qualified'? More like a bunch of nagging girls or grannies?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

What's the point if an opinion cannot be explained or 'qualified'? More like a bunch of nagging girls or grannies?

I think you're completely missing the point of boards.ie?

Firstly, an opinion does not need to be qualified for someone else to discuss, agree, or disagree with it. Myself and a friend could agree we do not like the look of a particular car, however I don't ask him to show me the cars he's designed. Nor do I need to be an architect to say I dislike a particular house, nor a fashion designer to hate an item of clothing.

The only prerequisites a person needs to post in this thread is to have a boards.ie account.

Secondly, even if we agree somehow that we all need to show the websites we've worked on, it would be a huge pain in the ass for the local mods to moderate. Feel free to pm them if you feel strongly about it, but I don't see it happening.

Therefore I think we can nip this in the bud and safely say if you feel this thread is for nagging girls or grannies, please refrain from posting in it. Otherwise let's try and get back on topic to discussing some awful websites.

Speaking of which, any Star Trek TNG fans out there? Check out Dr.Crushers fan website http://www.gatesmcfadden.org/

Just make sure to update your browser as:
    This page is best viewed with Internet Explorer 5.0
    :pac:

And also I think Forbes.com has definitely become one of the worst contemporary news sites. Flash ads everywhere, portal ads, pop ups, autoplaying videos. Awful UX.

KonFusion wrote: »
    I think you're completely missing the point of boards.ie?

Firstly, an opinion does not need to be qualified for someone else to discuss, agree, or disagree with it. Myself and a friend could agree we do not like the look of a particular car, however I don't ask him to show me the cars he's designed. Nor do I need to be an architect to say I dislike a particular house, nor a fashion designer to hate an item of clothing.

The only prerequisites a person needs to post in this thread is to have a boards.ie account.

Secondly, even if we agree somehow that we all need to show the websites we've worked on, it would be a huge pain in the ass for the local mods to moderate. Feel free to pm them if you feel strongly about it, but I don't see it happening.

Therefore I think we can nip this in the bud and safely say if you feel this thread is for nagging girls or grannies, please refrain from posting in it. Otherwise let's try and get back on topic to discussing some awful websites.

Speaking of which, any Star Trek TNG fans out there? Check out Dr.Crushers fan website http://www.gatesmcfadden.org/

Just make sure to update your browser as:

:pac:

And also I think Forbes.com has definitely become one of the worst contemporary news sites. Flash ads everywhere, portal ads, pop ups, autoplaying videos. Awful UX.

Yeah sure, no skill, ability or track record necessary. The great thing about the web is that it is full of dogs.

BTW, you can put your lollipop away, I don't need you to say what or where I can do here. This isn't class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Jaysus, talk about killing the craic.

Yeah, I'd like to get this topic back on track.

We're talking about the worst websites, where everyone has an opinion. I'll obviously question why you think its bad (if I disagree), but I wont question your right to that opinion in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

http://www.imccinemas.ie/

i'm sorry but what joker designed this?

IMC had a really nice website with the blue theme but wtf is this??

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭_ciaran_

ASP....... I'd guess its a gammy half arsed legacy redesign. There are far worse out there in fairness.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

http://www.websites-ireland.ie/pages/websites.htm

The site itself, and...well take your pick :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭peejay1986

http://www.seamiewalshinteriors.ie/#/home/4576865832

Even looking past the woeful design, the music is...haunting. Going to have nightmares of beds attacking me tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

peejay1986 wrote: »

Even looking past the woeful design, the music is...haunting. Going to have nightmares of beds attacking me tonight.

Oooh - my mam used to have a music box that played that tune, creepy balllerina girl turning round and making a clicking noise as it played!!

I hate websites with music.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I like the fact that they are open at breaktime 1-2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

peejay1986 wrote: »

Holy needless Flash batman!

Christ on a bike.... don't think I've ever heard Fur Elise with drums before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Does anyone even use flash anymore?

It's still used widely enough for banner ads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

_ciaran_ wrote: »
    Christ on a bike.... don't think I've ever heard Fur Elise with drums before.

So.......innovative then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Sadly, it's still used for a lot of video delivery. Many Youtube videos only have flash versions available, and you can't see embedded videos here on Boards. I use Firefox, so I haven't installed flash on that, and just fire up Chrome the rare times I need it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

So.......innovative then?

Highly. Needs more donk though.

I've heard of builders houses never being built etc, but this site takes the biscuit.

http://www.irishwebdesign.org/

Can you say 1990?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

I've heard of builders houses never being built etc, but this site takes the biscuit.

Can you say 1990?

Probably great SEO.

It's funny how the stick some social network buttons on the top to make it look modern :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Can you say 1990?

Sweet jesus....Just...wow...I'm lost for words. Close the thread. We've found a winner.

tumblr_mn5xgmP4HZ1qaz7aso1_500.png

Advertisement