Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptism cert for school?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Peregrinus wrote: »
    If you don't want to draw attention to yourself and your position by asking the school, ask a neighbour whose child attends the school.
    Don't worry, I will! I was just looking for experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Zulu wrote: »
    I think he's not concerned to be honest, it would appear he wishes to discuss a different matter; he wishes to discuss his issue at a more macro level. Which is fine.

Yes and to be fair to you it is off topic so best of luck with whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

robindch wrote: »
    Ivana Bacik busting her balls? Now, that's something I'm not sure I'd like to see.

It's a metaphor daddy!*

*wonders if other atheists watch Friends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

getz wrote: »
    in england a faith school can loose its goverment funding unless it meets its required intake numbers of other faiths,the catholic girls schools never seem to have a problem as muslim parents are keen to send their girls to all girls schools.

I like to dip my Jaffa cakes in my coffee. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

None taken, and you're quite right.
    Is it really though? Its one sacrament. I'm not even clear it's not going to happen, and, I'm not even clear it's a requirement (at this point)!

Look, my question was - is a cert actually required? If anyone here has had to provide one, I'd appreciate it if they could say as much.

If people wish to utilise this thread to debate the moral authority of lying to educate their child, I've no issue with that. However, clearly, I'd appreciate it if people could leave the antagonistic comments at the door.

By-the-by, thanks for all the help so far. :)

We had to provide one for ours. In fact, we had to provide it on at least three occasions as I recall. That and the PPS number every year. Don't schools keep records?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I am reminded of Yeats' poem concerning the conflict between mundane materialism and romantic nobility.
    W[SIZE=-1]HAT[/SIZE] need you, being come to sense, But fumble in a greasy till
    And add the halfpence to the pence And prayer to shivering prayer,
    Until You have dried the marrow from the bone; For men were born to pray and save:
    Romantic Ireland’s dead and gone, It’s with O’Leary in the grave.
    Yet they were of a different kind, the names that stilled your childish play,
    They have gone about the world like wind,
    But little time had they to pray For whom the hangman’s rope was spun

• Registered Users Posts: 26,262 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Dades wrote: »
    Leaving aside the potentially inflammatory words like "cheating" and "dishonestly", I think any woolly misgivings about preventing someone else's child from being indoctrinated (sorry - couldn't help it!) are trumped by a belief that a tax-payer funded school should be for local children regardless of their parents religion.
    In my defence, I did put inverted commas around “cheating”. As for “dishonestly”, well, Zulu himself characterizes the contemplated behaviour as “lying” all the way back post #1, and since lying is pretty much by definition dishonest I don’t think I’m elevating the temperature by using that word, or saying anything which which Zulu would disagree.

And this brings me to a slightly wider point. Zulu characterizes what he is contemplating as “lying” and, while others have objected to language which, um, suggests there may be some moral turpitude involved, Zulu himself has never done so.

Similarly, others have attempted to characterize the contemplated behaviour as virtuous - an act of “civil disobedience”, or a vindication of a belief about how taxpayers money ought to be spent. Some have sought to justify not only lying but forgery.

I have to say I’m not impressed by these efforts. They look to me like rationalizations, and rationalizations that haven’t been subjected to any great scrutiny by those putting them forward. Even if we assume that Zulu has strong and sincere beliefs about how taxpayers’ money should be applied which align with yours, the strength and sincerity of his beliefs does not amount to a justification for lying, or engaging in other behaviours generally regarded as morally lacking, to ensure that taxpayers money is applied in accordance with those beliefs. Why does Zulu get to decide how taxpayers’ money should be applied? There’s a well-established democratic process for determining how taxpayers funds should be applied; Zulu has no more right to subvert it than your or I.

To Zulu’s credit, he claims no such right. Nor does he claim to be engaged in civil disobedience, or in subverting the improper public funding of religious indoctrination, or in any other noble cause. He just thinks that this school is the best school for his child, and he’s willing to do, or at least to contemplate doing, a good deal to get the child in.

And that strikes me as a much more open and appealing position than rather ill-thought-out appeals to grand principles. He makes no attempt to claim that he would not be lying if he were to do what he contemplates, or that this would not be dishonest, or that he would be engaged in a heroic struggle for a grand civic or democratic principle. No; his appeal is entirely to his duty to, and love for, his child to justify (and, if not to justify, then to explain) the lie. And, for all that lying itself is dishonest, that strikes me as a much more honest case in favour of the lie than some of the others that have been put up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Well! I don't know what to make of that!!! Am I the goodie or the baddie? Am I a good baddie, or a bad goodie?? :)

...I think I need a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,262 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well! I don't know what to make of that!!! Am I the goodie or the baddie? Am I a good baddie, or a bad goodie?? :)

...I think I need a coffee.
    If I was closer, I'd stand you a pint.

I'm not judging you (or anyone else in this thread) as either a goodie or a baddie; it's not my business to. And if I were to do such I thing, I don't see why you should pay any attention to my judgment.

But I like what you say more than some of the other guff that's been posted. (Including, quite possibly, some of the guff that I posted.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Hi folks,
    does anyone know if you are required to prove your child was christened in order to get them into a catholic primary school?

We don't wish to christen our child, however, we do wish to get them into the local primary school.

I've no particular qualms lying about having had the child christened in order to get them in tbh, but will I be asked to "prove" it?

I'm sure I'm not the first person who though of this?
    Cheers.

They kept asking, we kept delaying and they stopped asking after she started school. That was a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

We asked the Dept of Ed to provide us with the name of a suitable school for the education of our non-religious offspring, as required by law. They sent the name of the local school.
    I was hoping the school (Catholic National school) would raise an objection but they welcomed us with open arms and facilitate reading/homework during religious indoctrination.

Advertisement