Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankie Boyle vs. The Daily Mirror

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,966 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Go wan frankie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Just read it there..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20033097

I thought he would have some smart quip on twitter :D

Nothing. Just
    I'm very happy with the jury's decision and their unanimous rejection of the Mirror's allegation that I am a racist.

Fair play to him. Glad he won, and done beat that rag. That is probably one of the worst papers, worse then the sun, the star and the herald..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Allyall wrote: »
    Just read it there..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20033097

I thought he would have some smart quip on twitter :D

Nothing. Just

Fair play to him. Glad he won, and done beat that rag. That is probably one of the worst papers, worse then the sun, the star and the herald..
    I notice you didn't include the daily mail. Still the worst newspaper out there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Fair's fair. Now if only he'd tell a few decent jokes ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

At the close of the trial of Frankie Boyle, who had been accused of being a 'racist comedian', the jurors took just 3 hours to decide he was 'not guilty', on both counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, I thought this might be relevant to this topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

#'...Aand the allwhitejury agreeed...'#

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

He may or may not be racist but one thing is for sure, he's a one trick pony - if it wasn't for his shock factor gags, he wouldn't have anywhere near the following that he has. On Mock The Week, the only time he could compete with his fellow comedians with witty ad-libs, is when they were below the belt, cross the line etc etc. If he was Irish, what he says would not be tolerated and so not sure why we let it slide otherwise.

His jokes regarding the UK Olympic swimmer Rebecca Adlington for example, were seriously classless.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2012/jul/30/frankie-boyle-versus-rebecca-adlington

I'll defend his right to make those jokes all day long but I also defend my right to call him a fcuking twat, as that is what he undoubtedly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

He may or may not be racist but one thing is for sure, he's a one trick pony - if it wasn't for his shock factor gags, he wouldn't have anywhere near the following that he has. On Mock The Week, the only time he could compete with his fellow comedians with witty ad-libs, is when they were below the belt, cross the line etc etc. If he was Irish, what he says would not be tolerated and so not sure why we let it slide otherwise.

His jokes regarding the UK Olympic swimmer Rebecca Adlington for example, were seriously classless.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2012/jul/30/frankie-boyle-versus-rebecca-adlington

I'll defend his right to make those jokes all day long but I also defend my right to call him a fcuking twat, as that is what he undoubtedly is.

Well he's not a racist according to a court of law.

Comedy is personal. I like his humour. The one about Rebecca "She looks like someone who's looking at themselves in the back of a spoon." had me giggling for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It was cruel, no doubt. However - having seen some of his stand up, he's an undeniably talented comedian. The shock factor is a garnish and he relies on it far too much at times, but he's a genuinely clever guy with a fierce quick wit.

He's got the kind of unremittingly grim worldview I tend to associate with guys who get themselves in awful trouble and then die relatively young, but I do maintain it's unfair to put him in the same bracket as comedians who only have shock value in their favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Frankie Boyle is the first comedian I'd put into that bracket! If asked to name a comedian who only told jokes for their shock value, I'd wager most people would instantly name Boyle.

I was at one of his gigs earlier this year and I chuckled twice in a half hour set. He's not to my taste at all, he reminds me of a couple of 13 year old boys trying to see who can say the most outrageous thing to gross each other out.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

good man Frankie , you are a breath of fresh air to the usual comedy dross.

Advertisement