Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Mk3 cars, Kilashee, Nass

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

That is the word going around the Irish railways past and present facebook group.

I don't hold much hope of them being exported. They'd have to be re-bogied and probably innumerable other modifications to run on the continental network. The interior refurb is also going to have to be redone as it'll be out of kilter with whatever else they use.

And most importantly, they are presumably stored out under the elements. The Irish damp will make short work of the interiors in one winter - they have used a lot of fabrics.

My money is on them being out in the open for the foreseeable future (covid won't help their market), followed by the same fate as the rest of the Mk 3 - the cutters torch - when it is realised that they are rotted beyond use.

Well if they are no fools, then why did their Grand Hibernian go down the pan? The misjudged it.

They are a tour operator. I wonder why they are bothering with owning and maintaining stock themselves, they would be fleeced. They should be just hiring out stock from a railway operator for a fee. and then let the railway company manage all the usual ins and outs of operating and maintaining the stock.

re-bogieing is quite straightforward if you can source suitable standard gauge bogies. But the thing is there are any amount of stored UK coaches and it might be easier to start again with these if the Irish ones need a high degree of refurbishment.Probably the same applies to most countries. I can't see a future for them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Isambard wrote: »
    re-bogieing is quite straightforward if you can source suitable standard gauge bogies. But the thing is there are any amount of stored UK coaches and it might be easier to start again with these if the Irish ones need a high degree of refurbishment.Probably the same applies to most countries. I can't see a future for them

Not even operated by CIE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Not even operated by CIE?

Lol. That's a good one🀪🀪

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Lol. That's a good one����

I know.

Advertisement