Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRACTORS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Have a 2006 McCormick cx105 de luxe cab here. Electronic shuttle. Some of the 105 and almost all the 90 and 100 have a manual shuttle.

Gave 17k Sterling 3 years ago for it with 3200 hours and a fresh mx loader

Where is the best place to source a tractor like that .I know the journal has ads from a few big dealers in the north but is there any comeback or guarantee if you buy in the north

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

cute geoge wrote: »
    Where is the best place to source a tractor like that .I know the journal has ads from a few big dealers in the north but is there any comeback or guarantee if you buy in the north

I bought off a McCormick dealer at the time. And I got 6 month guarantee. I traded a tractor against it. But the tractor was 17k asking price.

I asked a McCormick dealer down here recently and he said my tractor would be worth 25/27k as a trade in

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Genemccarthy

Brought a secondhand tractor off finnerty tractor sales in Galway mostly advertising on done deal ...BEWARE made a deal for jobs to be done to tractor on delivery and paid full price,he’s son dropped down tractor with no jobs done and when I rang him he told me they were working when they left he’s yard.dont be fooled he’s a COWBOY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Brought a secondhand tractor off finnerty tractor sales in Galway mostly advertising on done deal ...BEWARE made a deal for jobs to be done to tractor on delivery and paid full price,he’s son dropped down tractor with no jobs done and when I rang him he told me they were working when they left he’s yard.dont be fooled he’s a COWBOY

You had right to tell he wouldn't be working if he didn't honour the deal , you hadn't right to pay him until it landed in the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Bazzer007

Sorry to hear that. In fairness most sellers won’t leave a tractor out of their yard without paying the full amount. That’s no way to do business, a deal is a deal. I’ve seen Finnerty’s ads on DD will avoid like the plague now & plenty other fellas will do the same. Hope you didn’t have to do much tidying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Sorry to hear that. What sort of things had ye agreed needed to be done? Just to get an idea of scale of scam.

If it's the same lad l don't think he's too many years selling tractors and l think he was a plant hire contractor going back years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Went into his yard last August to look at an old loader. He is all guff. It was not as good as he told me over the phone. I listened to him taking a call about another piece of machinery. The last lad that had it retired it was doing nothing for 2-3 years, immaculate you would not leave without buying . Similar yarn he told me ex Council, was in a yard of a retired farmer for 3-4 years, no rust (if I found any I could have it for free, floor was half rotten under the matt, he did not give it to me to take away) it had to be jump started, lights must have been left on was started 3-4 days ago. Bla bla bla.
    No machinery was very clean in the yard. It's a bug bear of mine lads selling tractors or machinery with loads of work to be done to them before they are dropped off. His tractors were at the upper end of the price range for the years and hours not to mind condition. Half a day wasted but at least my money was still in my pocket. I hope there was not a lot of work to be done to it but I suspect there was. Was there a written warranty.

I bought after that a good clean tractor with a loader. There was only 2-3 small jobs to be done. A switch not working, a beacon needed and it had to be service it arrived down with jobs done a pipe replaced that they spotted was leaking as loading onto truck. It was Brogan's in Aughrim and I would have no fear going back again. Deposit of 1 K aid the day I bought it and remainder paid in the yard on delivery and he gave me a nice luck penny. But I would not go back to the other yard to look at something again. I go so far as to say I would not stop if I was passing

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Aravo

Dealers love selling machinery to people far far away. Less likely to come back. The lad/lassie down the road would be back the whole time and talking about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

The "ex council" tractor is like the lady driver nonsense put out by car dealers. The council tractors in fairness are serviced on the button but they do cover alot of ground and can be going all day from 8 to 4pm especially the ones in the bigger parks in Dublin and cork etc. And have different drivers on a weekly basis. Some drivers can be very tough with them. You'd be surprised how many manholes covers have been taken in by roller mowers. And other stupid damage caused by drivers (alot from non farming backgrounds). Some guys driving around with 4wd constantly on roads ect.
    I wouldn't give anymore for a council owned one vs private. Councils usually get rid of in auctions in Kingswood and other auctions for good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Aravo wrote: »
    Dealers love selling machinery to people far far away. Less likely to come back. The lad/lassie down the road would be back the whole time and talking about them.

The lad from a distance away will not not return for small issue (mind you most warranty's on older tractors are for moving parts only) but the risk works out the same for the dealer as if anything major goes he will be back and the tractors being further away will add to repair costs.

A dealer that acts the maggot to a far away customer will do the same to a local customer. On tractors or larger machinery 80 miles as in my case is not a distance to travel to look for a tractor. When buying a tractor you list your priority's of you needs for your budget, HP, 4WD/2WD, Shuttle/ no shuttle, manual/power, make's, loader or not, etc etc.

Local machinery dealer love the local lad coming in that that will not travel to save money on Machinery or tractors. They know they can put a saddle on his back.
    trabpc wrote: »
    The "ex council" tractor is like the lady driver nonsense put out by car dealers. The council tractors in fairness are serviced on the button but they do cover alot of ground and can be going all day from 8 to 4pm especially the ones in the bigger parks in Dublin and cork etc. And have different drivers on a weekly basis. Some drivers can be very tough with them. You'd be surprised how many manholes covers have been taken in by roller mowers. And other stupid damage caused by drivers (alot from non farming backgrounds). Some guys driving around with 4wd constantly on roads ect.
    I wouldn't give anymore for a council owned one vs private. Councils usually get rid of in auctions in Kingswood and other auctions for good reason

It was an ex Council loader I was looking at. There is no way an ex council loader will have got any of the dogging loaders owned by other people. Most council tractors have nothing done compared to contractors or farming machines. Sure they will have hours put up. Diesel engines love work. It is back end work that is hard on tractors. As you said council machinery is serviced and repaired on the button. Have an ex council CX80 2wd tractor here with over 10k hours, most of the time I think the engine was running to keep the lad sitting on the seat warm. It like a clean tractor with 60% of the hours or less but they still show on the clock.

The reasons Councils sell at auctions is that they have to sell in a fair and even manner just like they have to tender fairly all work under EU regulations. An post sell its vans much the same way but lads tender for lots. Most big companies that buy equipment as opposed to leasing either tender out or sell at auction such as the ESB, Bord na Mona etc.

The point I was making about that dealer was it was my opinion he was selling a story with every machine, I remember as well ringing about tractor and there was a similar story as well, farm down the road, doing nothing except a feeding few bales and a bit of topping. Maybe ring him about something in the yard and see what I mean.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Funny enough was over with him during the week looking for a track machine! Few things I cudnt put my finger on but it all could add up now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

390kid wrote: »
    Funny enough was over with him during the week looking for a track machine! Few things I cudnt put my finger on but it all could add up now

I was there a few months ago aswell looking for a track machine. Didn't even get out of the jeep after driving up, everything looked rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

I was there a few months ago aswell looking for a track machine. Didn't even get out of the jeep after driving up, everything looked rough.

The 2 I eye balled up looked 100% one was fully refurbished so I was told. Mechanicaly was what was concerning me

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

Lucky I googled Finnertys to see where exactly they were... Was gonna look at a tractor he has advertised but after reading this thread I think I'll pass

Advertisement