Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If alcohol was made illegal...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Nucky Thompson would be back in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Just imagine if Ireland, up to its proverbial neck (as it is, lets face it) in alcohol related problems

No, it's not Joe. :rolleyes:
    Holyhead would be the richest town in the UK

No it wouldn't. Maybe Newry would be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Newry would be richest town in the UK

Pffft. Irish people would never drive all the way to Newry to buy alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

al-capone.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

AdamD wrote: »
    If it became illegal it would become cheaper

Logic fail.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

There would be an increase in bath sales & lots of explosion in peoples house trying to make homemade liquor.

Pubs & off licenses would go out of business causing a lot of people to loose there jobs.

If people couldn't get there hands on booze I think there would be a increase in people taking prescription drugs for recreational purposes.

And the only people who would benefit from it like I said would be the bath company's & criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

In theory - world would be safer.

In practice - black market/home made alcohol that could be potentially dangerous, huge markups in price, gang/mob violence as 'territory' would be worth thousands and thousands of Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Started brewing our own beer here a little while ago, first batch should be ready to drink next week, only 20 litres, but shur we'll scale it up if it turns out drinkable

A friend of mine's neighbour brewed up a batch of rhubarb wine one year.
    My friend and his family went around there at Halloween for fireworks, drinks etc
    Now, my friend is a pretty big guy and a drink would be no bother to him. His neighbour gave him a glass of this rhubarb wine and he thought "That's not too bad!" until his wife said "Holy Sh1tballs, your face has gone green!"

He ran into the bathroom thinking she was messing but sure enough his face had turned literally GREEN.

Needless to say, he went home and spent the next 2 full days on the loo:o

Hope your home brew turns out better:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Logic fail.

No the tax is so high in these islands illegal booze would be cheaper and allow crims a healthy profit, also it is easy and cheap to make.

Dovies wrote: »
    I lived in Saudi Arabia for years - believe me where there is a will there is a blue flame! :D:D

fixed that post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

No the tax is so high in these islands illegal booze would be cheaper and allow crims a healthy profit, also it is easy and cheap to make.

I'm sure it would be cheaper than in a bar but cheaper than a supermarket or off licence I dont know.

Kolido wrote: »
    I'm sure it would be cheaper than in a bar but cheaper than a supermarket or off licence I dont know.

You have a point there, in my defense was never a home drinker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The country's collective IQ would rise at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I would actually like to live in an Ireland were alcohol was illegal :)

... cause I would just homebrew and make a killing. Along with other rouges that have the same idea. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Ireland might stand up for themselves and Riot

you can touch our jobs, pensions, and even higher taxes

but if you touch drink there will be war!!

Sums up the paddies alright!! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

e_e wrote: »
    The country's collective IQ would rise at least.
    No it wouldn't.
    "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells.

"Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine; which is why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It takes a large bottle of water, a few jars of Lidl honey and a packet of Tesco breadyeast to make booze. That pretty much sums up my solution to this hypothetical.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It takes a large bottle of water, a few jars of Lidl honey and a packet of Tesco breadyeast to make booze. That pretty much sums up my solution to this hypothetical.
    bread yeast

you're making hangover juice :eek:

TBH if you are going down that route do what the ancient Egyptians did thousands of years ago, brew the beer from stale bread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Oh don't worry, I've advanced to Champagne yeast - and fancier honey - since then, but still. It's outstandingly easy to make booze, the only tricky part is in making something you'd want to drink pints of.

And also, stashing 5l bottles of yeasty fruity goo all over the house without your flatmate moving out. My house smells weird. :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I asked the question not because I'm against alcohol (I'm certainly not!) but to get people to imagine - if possible - a post-alcohol Ireland.

This question needs to be asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Michael Sheridan

I asked the question not because I'm against alcohol (I'm certainly not!) but to get people to imagine - if possible - a post-alcohol Ireland.

that would represent a mature debate

IMHO alcohol as some would belive does not cause the problem - the manner in which it is used certainly does. Like all things in society it comes down to one common denominator - people.

after all cars dont kill people but the manner in which they are used by some certainly does.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Lets face it, the country would probably be a nicer place to live if we didn't drink

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

You mean 'post-alcoholyptical'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Considering the prohibition era in the US pretty much kick started the Mafia and brought about the rise of large scale organised crime I don't think its a good idea.

And anyways, I loves me a few pints so I does.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What incentive would smugglers have to charge less than current market prices?

What incentive would smugglers have to charge less than current market prices?

Why smuggle, when you can make it in your airing cupboard, also their is along tradition of making hooch in this country. (Some of which was better than that milk waste in Middleton)

Advertisement