Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If alcohol was made illegal...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Homebrew!!

Leading to all sorts of homebrew and moonshi8ne related accidents and health issues.
    Sounds like it'd be cheaper for the public and way more fun!
    Lets do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

The Snipe wrote: »
    Would they legalise smoke instead? Cause I tend to smoke more then I drink recently, after suffering from previous drinking problems.

I'd prefer alcohol. Smoke just makes everyone sit around giggling. It's all right but I like my weekends to consist of a bit more.

*cough* MDMA *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i'd just drink soft drinks and take a quarter of a pill every hour or 2 or so, like i sometimes do now.
    less expensive, less messy, more fun, less unhealthy.

no-one would be bothered giving out about alcohol being banned because they'd probably see how much better things are without it after a few months.

it would probably never happen though, as there'd be far too much outrage for it to even be banned in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The Snipe wrote: »
    Would they legalise smoke instead? Cause I tend to smoke more then I drink recently, after suffering from previous drinking problems.

Since when did they make smoking illegal. Sure you can buy cigerettes in most shops if your over 18.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

Not smoke, smoke smoke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Between 1919 and 1933 consuming and selling alcohol in the USA was a crime - the Prohibition era.

To this day a number of bible belt states have many "dry" counties.

That worked out great, as we can clearly see from the complete absence of organised crime syndicates providing alcohol to anyone who wanted it whilst simultaneously jacking up prices, and the attendant increase in related crimes such as bribery, assault, murder etc. etc., in the US in that period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"I'll find you beer baron!"

"....no you won't!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I would presume everyone would accept it. And if someone started complaining about it, people on internet forums would go on about it being the law of the land and you should accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

from my cold, dead, hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

alphabeat wrote: »
    from my cold, dead, hands

A cold, cold beer....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In the past in this country because of crackdowns on poteen and the tax on alcohol and the temperance movement people used to take ether instead.

It boils at body temperature so the trick is to only sip it, belch as soon as you swallow, and never ever belch in front of a fire.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/sambompas/100051243/the-best-way-to-drink-ether-the-drug-that-caused-chaos-in-19th-century-britain/
    During the 19th century there was widespread concern about the drinking of ether in Northern Ireland in place of alcohol. Known as "sweet vitriol" and discovered in 1275, ether was originally used for medicinal purposes as a common anaesthetic but quickly became a favourite substitute for whisky. After drinking a glass of water, people would take one drop of ether whilst holding their noses and slamming down another glass of water. This was considered the best way of consuming ether at the time – it's so volatile that it needs to be washed down to prevent it evaporating.

Not only was the ether cheaper than whisky (at one penny per draught from most dealers), but it also got you both drunk and sober much more quickly, allowing 19th Century boozers to feel tipsy several times a day.

Another advantage was that ether did not result in a hangover, although it was thought to cause depression. Other symptoms included extreme hysteria and blindness. Chronic abuse of ether could lead someone to believe that they were hearing heavenly music or seeing angels. Yet despite the "violent excitement" that the ether caused, the main danger was people setting fire to themselves when lighting their pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Michael Sheridan

unthinkable is right

any Government willing to forego the Tax and duty revenue, not to mention damage to the "hospitality" and tourist trade would be a financial kamikazee pilot.

Northern Ireland would boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

We'd all get free cheese instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Funglegunk wrote: »
    We'd all get free cheese instead.

It's nice cheese too, I've gotten a heap of it over the last couple of months:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the blackmarket business for alcohol would be booming for one, a couple of people would get really rich, there would be a massive increase in crime, the gardai would be overwhelmed in trying to stop illegal booze just crossing the border never mind anything else, alcohol related deaths from homemade stuff would soar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

My friends brew their won cider and beer. Presumably they would become Al Capone/ Nucky Thompson figures and I'd become their mob enforcer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

With drinks like Guinness and Whiskey linked to our culture, the upsurge and consumption of black market alcohol would be considered patriotic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

A ban on alcohol would probably be about as effective as the current ban on cannabis.:)

And just think of the opportunities it would create for those, already multi-millionaires, who control the drug-distribution networks in Ireland and the gang wars, probably with much "collateral damage", that would be sparked off.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LuciusPax

No way this could ever happen! Even most teetotalers would be against this as it would knock them off their high horses.They'd no longer be able to harp on (and on and on) about their disgust for Irelands drinking culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If it became illegal it would become cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

cant be baned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Willie O'Dea would become Eliot Ness, he's got nothing better to do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

cant be baned :)

Why not? Its not impossible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

Why not? Its not impossible

brings in allot of money and people enjoy a few drinks weekends :)

dont think it could ever be wanted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Willie O'Dea would become Eliot Ness, he's got nothing better to do now.

Isn't he the minister for hash and the minister for gee?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Maybe we'd go back to how we were before alcohol was invented?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Assuming that consumption levels actually fall:

Pros:

Less social disorder
    Less late-night assaults
    Less alcohol-related diseases
    Less ****e-talk
    Less tobacco-related diseases (people wouldn't smoke as much)
    Better dining experience - public establishments will have to raise their game to win customers.
    Will not affect the experience of visiting monarchs in any way whatsoever

Cons:

More taxes - Government would have to recover all that lost revenue from somewhere (first and foremost the motorist I'd say)
    Lay-offs in the Garda, security industry, legal profession, courts service, hospitality industry, medical industry
    Increase in gangland activity (not enough to counter the fall in other types of crime though)
    Deaths from homemade liquor
    Possibly an increase in civil unrest, people will have to channel all that negative energy in some way.
    Harder to get the shift/ride on a night out.
    Towns and cities would look worse than they already do.
    More tooth decay from people drinking all the soft drinks.
    Declan Lynch would write another book about the poor oul fellas and their miserable alcohol and tobacco-free existence.
    Impact on tourism - we won't have as many US presidents over to sip a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Kolido wrote: »
    Since when did they make smoking illegal. Sure you can buy cigerettes in most shops if your over 18.:confused:

Not Tobacco Smoke :P
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    "I'll find you beer baron!"

"....no you won't!"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=59355

Found him for you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Poteen.,(for the auld Rheumatism you understand).:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

i'd just drink soft drinks and take a quarter of a pill every hour or 2 or so, like i sometimes do now.
    less expensive, less messy, more fun, less unhealthy.

no-one would be bothered giving out about alcohol being banned because they'd probably see how much better things are without it after a few months.

it would probably never happen though, as there'd be far too much outrage for it to even be banned in the first place.

Beer is far better for you than soft drinks

Advertisement