Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Connector for Sky Customers €12.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Soarer wrote: »
    Just connected my box to my network there to see what's what, and it's pretty underwhelming at the mo. There's only 8 or 10 things available.
    Dunno whether the system needs to "fill up" first (maybe its streamed?) or is there just to be nothing available for Oirland.

Im no Sky champion but there certainly isn't only 8 or 10 things available. There are dozens and dozens of shows available.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bonescap

I'm guessing the on demand will be the same as you can get on the xbox? does anyone know how much a sky HD box is? I've only got an old non sky + box

• Registered Users Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭Soarer

Ordin73 wrote: »
    Have Sky switched on the service for your account yet???

Didn't know they had to! There are some things on it that I can view, so didn't think there was anything I had to do.
    adox wrote: »
    Im no Sky champion but there certainly isn't only 8 or 10 things available. There are dozens and dozens of shows available.

Maybe I need to ring Sky to get it turned on? Or maybe it just needs to "fill up"?
    I'll check when I get home later and see if anything's changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Didn't know they had to! There are some things on it that I can view, so didn't think there was anything I had to do.

Maybe I need to ring Sky to get it turned on? Or maybe it just needs to "fill up"?
    I'll check when I get home later and see if anything's changed.

I logged in to my account online and activated it there. Got home and connected the Ethernet cable and everything was there instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

bonescap wrote: »
    I'm guessing the on demand will be the same as you can get on the xbox? does anyone know how much a sky HD box is? I've only got an old non sky + box

Same here, does the wireless connector work for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I understand if you've got On Demand in the UK, you get iplayer, ITV player, 4od, 5 player all through Sky On Demand. Is that the case and how much of it do you get here?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

Just rang sky there and they want €271for a new box as i have an old thompson sky+box I think they can go swing for it cos im not paying that

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

shannon82 wrote: »
    Just rang sky there and they want €271for a new box as i have an old thompson sky+box I think they can go swing for it cos im not paying that
    ^ Yep, their treatment of existing customers is an absolute disgrace!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

shannon82 wrote: »

I read somewhere that if you have one of these boxes, there is a way to upgrade for free. And now I cannot find that anywhere.

EDIT - On an english site
    If anyone has sky+, and wants a wireless dongle instead of the wired cable between their broadband router and sky+HD box ( for their on-demand services)

Go to "My Package" and go to Add box then upgrade box at the bottom of the screen is the option to buy one online for £9.99

If you also have the older Thompson box, it should allow you to upgrade to the new sky+HD box for 'free'

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

we've multiroom in our house. I take it this only works with the Sky+ boxes, as in it wont work with a regular non recording box.

And i assume it deff wont work with an out of subscription sky box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Cannot order it online - various errors from being unable to enter credit card details to web site error.

Must get out my homeplug pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

Same. Web site wouldnt take my credit card order online.

Had to phone sales up directly. They enabled it for me there and then and ordered the wireless connector for the €12.99. Paid by credit card over the phone. Should arrive next week so they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

Raoul wrote: »
    I read somewhere that if you have one of these boxes, there is a way to upgrade for free. And now I cannot find that anywhere.

EDIT - On an english site

thanks Raoul however tried that and its 199 for the box and 60 set up fee. think i will have to do without it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

What if your box was to break...?

The on demand thing is crap, it shows all the stuff that isn't covered by your subscription and lets you set it to record/download without mentioning that you can't actually play it!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭killer007

Cannot order it online - various errors from being unable to enter credit card details to web site error.

Must get out my homeplug pack.

Had the same problems trying to order wireless device, kept reloading order page.Just connected with homeplugs ,works a treat.
    New on demand page will not load untill you activate online and setup your network on box.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

This is a crafty move by Sky, in that before too long, they will be offering their own internet broadband service, which will not have the same issues that most Netflix users are finding, called download limits, and this box will mean the Sky box can be used to download films and the like without having to be wired to the internet. That opens up a whole new can of worms for the home user, in that almost any film, popular or almost unheard of, will possibly be downloadable, without impacting the normal service off air.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

if your xbox is connected for online gaming just use sky through it and you can get on demand without having to pay for the wireless dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭long_b

Mine arrived this morning (apparently)

Ordered on the night this BA was posted.

Will have to see later whether my dodgy WiFi setup will handle it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

So, can someone summarise for me.

I have my wireless router beside my sky HD box.
    If I connect via ethernet cable, will on demand work? (now, as opposed to 'it'll be here soon')

I connected it that way in July (as sky on screen prompts) but pretty much lost all of my sky anytime programmes. Spoke with sky cc who advised me that anytime wasn't available in Ireland at that time.

As they updated anytime programming ota, and my box was connected via the router I obviously wasn't being the updated programmes.

Be nice if we finally got the same services (while paying more) than those in the UK enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Ghandee wrote: »
    So, can someone summarise for me.

I have my wireless router beside my sky HD box.
    If I connect via ethernet cable, will on demand work? (now, as opposed to 'it'll be here soon')

I connected it that way in July (as sky on screen prompts) but pretty much lost all of my sky anytime programmes. Spoke with sky cc who advised me that anytime wasn't available in Ireland at that time.

As they updated anytime programming ota, and my box was connected via the router I obviously wasn't being the updated programmes.

Be nice if we finally got the same services (while paying more) than those in the UK enjoy.

It was answered in post #25:
    Karsini wrote: »
    It's available in Ireland as of today.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81203459&postcount=25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭Soarer

You need to ring Sky to get them to activate it on your account too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

You need to ring Sky to get them to activate it on your account too!

This.

Up and running now, but I had to resort to calling them up.
    Couldn't find any option to activate it online :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Does ordering this require any change to you account or package? i.e. where's the hidden charges? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭long_b

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Does ordering this require any change to you account or package? i.e. where's the hidden charges? :/

Asked them on the phone and the agent said it wouldn't need a change to my package.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Ghandee wrote: »
    This.

Up and running now, but I had to resort to calling them up.
    Couldn't find any option to activate it online :confused:

I think the link is http://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/on-demand but doesn't seem to work and calling them will probably be the resolution anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Would homeplugs not be a better set up?I know this is only €13 and homeplugs would be double the price but performance wise are homeplugs a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭nedd

I just called them to activate it on my account and they told me my viewing card needs to be updated. so they are going to send me a new card.

typical Sky, nothing is ever easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

:mad: Works fine but not available for sky sports!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Only thing I would be wary of is that if I order this thing, will Sky consider it a change of package? Even though I know its not.

Reason its an issue is that currently I pay 25 euro for Entertainment Extra package (afther the packs changed and merged) but if they consider this a change of package it will rise up to 33 euro a month as that is the price it should be. Sent an email but no reply as yet.

Did you get a reply on this, dooferoaks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

yabadabado wrote: »
    Would homeplugs not be a better set up?I know this is only €13 and homeplugs would be double the price but performance wise are homeplugs a better option.

Nope. The speed won't matter much, much home plugs mean you need extra sockets and my home plugs are slightly temperamental at times.

Advertisement