Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Connector for Sky Customers €12.99

Options
  • 11-10-2012 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Sky are offering a wireless connector to connect to their on Demand services wirelessly for €12.99. Offer just started today and they say they are normally €65, :rolleyes: not sure if that is the case but it SEEMS to be a bargin..

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Anyone know if this only works with sky or could I plug it into an older Xbox 360 for example?

Anyone know if this only works with sky or could I plug it into an older Xbox 360 for example?
    I don't think it would work. I think this is just a wireless adapter for a Sky+HD box to enable on-demand on a box which isn't connected to broadband router.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Do you have to pay extra for sky on demand?

Interested if I don't have to pay extra onto my bill

dave1982 wrote: »
    Do you have to pay extra for sky on demand?

Interested if I don't have to pay extra onto my bill
    According to the video on their site, linked above, nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ordin73

Don't know why but some of the sky staff think that this offer isn't available to Irish customers yet.. But as of today day it is... Took me three calls to complete the order.

And the on demand service is free.. Not sure what differences there will be to the UK service but will let you know..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Can someone quickly summarize why this is worth picking up?

Have never had my Sky box connected to network - but this Wireless Connector would sort that out - is this related to the Sky Anytime + they're rolling out?

Only advantage I can see now is updating firmware surely.

thats exactly what its all about...Sky Anytime + ... Or on demand TV.. As I said not sure about the difference between what's available in the UK and Ireland with the usual regional specific restrictions but will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Basq wrote: »
    Can someone quickly summarize why this is worth picking up?

Have never had my Sky box connected to network - but this Wireless Connector would sort that out - is this related to the Sky Anytime + they're rolling out?

Only advantage I can see now is updating firmware surely.
    It's for on demand TV (like their Netflix) if you can't connect the box via Ethernet. Firmware updates will still come over the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers lads.. presumed as much.

Ditched Netflix after a few months so not sure how much this is for me tbh!

Good value for the connector though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Can't buy it , keeps asking me to confirm my email is correct???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I presume this is an ethernet wireless adapter? As such, surely it could be used on any ethernet connection, not just sky?

I presume this is an ethernet wireless adapter? As such, surely it could be used on any ethernet connection, not just sky?

I'd say you might be limited by drivers if using it on a PC or console, but if you had the drivers it would work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Only thing I would be wary of is that if I order this thing, will Sky consider it a change of package? Even though I know its not.

Reason its an issue is that currently I pay 25 euro for Entertainment Extra package (afther the packs changed and merged) but if they consider this a change of package it will rise up to 33 euro a month as that is the price it should be. Sent an email but no reply as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

It's a great deal alright, really glad i didn't run a cable now :D Just a shame the site isn't letting me order it.

Having the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

i had a look at this and it says that you need a black sky+ box. I have a silver one does anybody know if this will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Does this need to be paid for immediately or does it get added to your bill?

I had the same problem when I first tried then I had the three phone calls .. The excuse I was told was their system was in the process of being updated.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just ordered one, tried do it on line ,no joy, so phoned them, now what does it do????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ordin73 wrote: »
    thats exactly what its all about...Sky Anytime + ... Or on demand TV.. As I said not sure about the difference between what's available in the UK and Ireland with the usual regional specific restrictions but will let you know.

Can you expand on this please?
    I'm not seeing the full picture.:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

not sure if this is relevant but I connected my sky box with an ethernet cable to get all the sky movies,boxset on demand etc. then i discovered that this service is not avible in Ireland only in the uk. they may have changed this as it was 5/6 weeks ago.

to the poster above who asked about charges the way it works is if you have movies then you can acess more of them on demand, docs the same, boxsets will depend on which channels you have like sky one, disney etc. hope this helps.

I'm off to check the sky website to see if thier on demand services are now avible here.

Ordin73 wrote: »

Can you expand on this please?
    I'm not seeing the full picture.:-(

If you have ever tried to use for example the BBC iplayer on your computer here in Ireland, many programmes are unavailable because they are blocked based on your location.. Using on demand may or may not make these programmes available ... Just have to wait and see

soups05 wrote: »
    not sure if this is relevant but I connected my sky box with an ethernet cable to get all the sky movies,boxset on demand etc. then i discovered that this service is not avible in Ireland only in the uk. they may have changed this as it was 5/6 weeks ago.

to the poster above who asked about charges the way it works is if you have movies then you can acess more of them on demand, docs the same, boxsets will depend on which channels you have like sky one, disney etc. hope this helps.

I'm off to check the sky website to see if thier on demand services are now avible here.

It's available in Ireland as of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Just connected my box to my network there to see what's what, and it's pretty underwhelming at the mo. There's only 8 or 10 things available.
    Dunno whether the system needs to "fill up" first (maybe its streamed?) or is there just to be nothing available for Oirland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Karsini wrote: »
    It's available in Ireland as of today.

Anyone know the minimum speed needed for this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

2mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Do I have to buy a poxy new box now?

Sigh, I'll do without for a while.

Soarer wrote: »
    Just connected my box to my network there to see what's what, and it's pretty underwhelming at the mo. There's only 8 or 10 things available.
    Dunno whether the system needs to "fill up" first (maybe its streamed?) or is there just to be nothing available for Oirland.

Have Sky switched on the service for your account yet???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭batmanzed

I use my wireless hotspot to do all my youtubing and downloading, if I get this and turn on the hotspot does this mean that I will be able to use this?

Advertisement