Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

German style licence plates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The badges are ridiculous, the font isn't...

All IMO, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

They suit some cars but I think they are overdone at this stage.
    Pressed metal plates with a standard font are the way forward, much better looking than the cheap plastic plates.

Neilw wrote: »
    They suit some cars but I think they are overdone at this stage.
    Pressed metal plates with a standard font are the way forward, much better looking than the cheap plastic plates.

That's also a new trend that has started and like everything it will die out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

dgt wrote: »
    Different strokes, diffent folks. I simply don't like em, full stop. When I see every other car on the road with em, it gets very tiresome very quick. Especially when its a little beat up clio or an old almera. That's just my opinion, whether is controversial or not, right or wrong, it's how I feel about them. Just an opinion ;)

Personally, I think the stickers look absolutely stupid on the numberplates. That's a great way of attracting attention from AGS.

And as for no burger king stickers? Pfffft!!!! :rolleyes:

I understand that the font is legal once there is no slash in the zero but it won't change the fact I think the font looks silly on Irl plates.
    Whats ten times worse is people putting stupid hillbilly horns on their cars..

IMO of course...

Nothing new about it at all, pressed metal plates are around years. Can't see how it's a trend or will die out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Pressed metal plates with a standard font are the new German Plates ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I can't see it dying out for me,gives the clean bold look of the German plate without the tackyness and growing associated knackerness in the eyes of the Gardai and other motorists,and yes i used to have German plates on a few cars :D

Nothing new about it at all, pressed metal plates are around years. Can't see how it's a trend or will die out?
    tossy wrote: »
    I can't see it dying out for me,gives the clean bold look of the German plate without the tackyness and growing associated knackerness in the eyes of the Gardai and other motorists,and yes i used to have German plates on a few cars :D

It's a trend. People are reverting to them because they think they look good on their cars.

Why have you got them on your car? Because they look good.

Why did you have German plates on your car? Because they looked good.

It's an obvious trend in the eyes of an enthusiast who puts them on for the sake of their aesthetics.

Don't be silly, of course they'll die out. Just because they've been around for years doesn't make them immune from being a trend, and most certainly doesn't make them immune from dying out.

I'm saying this purely in the sense of the car enthusiasts world, where number plates are more than just a requirement, but an opportunity to improves aesthetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

CiniO wrote: »
    It would look brilliant, wouldn't it???

Not really:
    1Wlm4.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

01750F4A-7900-40A8-9D8E-2A7238E51210-7855-00000BE98FC92D18.jpg

• Advertisement

It's a trend. People are reverting to them because they think they look good on their cars.

Why have you got them on your car? Because they look good.
    I don't have them....yet. Still have the horrible plastic ones fitted but I'll be going for the pressed metal ones, why, because they look better :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kceire wrote: »
    Pressed metal plates with a standard font are the new German Plates ;)

And they look great on my car!:D

I don't have them....yet. Still have the horrible plastic ones fitted but I'll be going for the pressed metal ones, why, because they look better :)

Exactly, the same way we all change plastic ones for italics, the same way we all changed them for Germans, and the same way the standard pressed metals will change again unless forced otherwise!

I'm not against the standard pressed metal, I'm against the denial that they're a trend.

Love these plates.

403856_10151914723990176_549611743_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Would consider them but only just as far as the pressed metal and the font. Would retain the county in Irish and the IRL/EU symbol. Would have no interest in the badges in the middle.

But even then I would be concerned re the legality and how they looked on my car.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Would consider them but only just as far as the pressed metal and the font. Would retain the county in Irish and the IRL/EU symbol. Would have no interest in the badges in the middle.

But even then I would be concerned re the legality and how they looked on my car.

I've had them on every car I've had bar my current, never stopped, never anything said to and never failed any NCT i've ever been through.

Some might say I'm lucky, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Tallon wrote: »
    Whats ten times worse is people putting stupid hillbilly horns on their cars..

IMO of course...

All too true, I couldn't agree more :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

The German style plates are illegal, so too were the pressed steel plates with black background silver letters and numerals ,which were a fashion craze some years ago.
    Hardly a hanging offence, though if you meet a Garda who has had a tough day......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

The German style plates are illegal, so too were the pressed steel plates with black background silver letters and numerals ,which were a fashion craze some years ago.
    Hardly a hanging offence, though if you meet a Garda who has had a tough day......

Why are German ones illegal?

NOTHING about font in the NCT manual. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I don't mind the German font plates much at all. Each to their own once its legibile.

I'd take them any day over a yellow rear number plate though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

They're not illegal though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

All too true, I couldn't agree more :pac:
    Tallon wrote: »
    They're not illegal though

Where may they be purchased please ? I have been told by a number of car accessory shops that they do not supply German style plates.
    What are the rules regarding registration plates? Can anyone clarify please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Where may they be purchased please ? I have been told by a number of car accessory shops that they do not supply German style plates.

I just got a set from these guys, delivered in 2 days, approx 52EUR delivered.

You can use the font as long as it doesn't use the zero with a slash through it. It must be on a standard plate with county and eu blue part

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

You can use the font as long as it doesn't use the zero with a slash through it. It must be on a standard plate with county and eu blue part

My mate put his M3 through NCT a number of times with german font, 0 with slashes, passed every time. Note, he has the dash between the year, county, number etc. I heard it will most certainly fail without the dash.

I'm working with what I've been told by people I know who don't change them for tests. I guess it depends on the centre and tester too

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Are Guards really onto people over these? Because I've seen plenty of personal cars belong to Guards who had them on their cars, so its a bit stupid if they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Eireplates

We have delivered a lot of German font plates to guys working in NCT centres and Garda stations!! :D

Bottom line German font plates don't comply with the Irish Statute book. The font height is 76mm on the Germans but the law states 70mm. Ironically German fonts are actually easier to read than standard plates from a distance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What do these plates look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

EnqsV.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks CM, haven't noticed any, but will keep an eye out now :)

Advertisement