Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

German style licence plates

Options
  • 11-10-2012 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I am seeing more and more Irish registered cars with licence plates that are in the Irish format (year - county - consecutive number) but the style is German (punched, the font is different and sometimes there are what looks like German tax and province stickers and the name of a German car dealer).

Is that a new fashion? Those cars also tend to be a 'Made in Germany' make such as Audi. Some of them have a Nürburgring sticker as well.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

done to death here........but its because the Germans now own us, and we all have to DONN their Bundesbanke plates now........lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

Itz vat all ze funbois are doing, ja?

Just a trend, it will pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

In fairness it looks stupid and is breaking the law.
    But I suppose what looks stupid is different to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 FacebookLAD

I saw a lovely 2010 red Audi saloon this morning with German plates, I shock my head in shame!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 agluei

It just throws me everytime I see them. They make me want to point at them and aks in my best German accent Vat ver yu zinkin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

It's even more cringeworthy when German plates are on a non german car....

Stuff I've seen with those plates includes:
    Renault Clio
    Nissan Almera
    Fiat Seicento

There was even a Ferrari F355 on here not too long ago with em!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I recently saw a Peugeot 206 in Galway, with that space-ship style sh1te looking WRC attempt of a kit, with German plates and a Nurburgring sticker on it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭cml387

I think they are a good idea.

It gives fair warning to give the driver a very wide berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

dgt wrote: »

Renault Clio
    Nissan Almera
    Fiat Seicento

Have you ever been to Germany?

Have you ever been to Germany?

Har har har.... Very drole

Come back when youve seen a beat up clio with lexarse lights and cn plates in german font!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If people like putting them on their car I can't really see an issue. It's hardly as if they are doing damage to other road users in the way using their fog lights would sometimes do for example. It's only a font at the end of the day, and a clear an easy to read one at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

bbam wrote: »
    In fairness it looks stupid and is breaking the law.
    But I suppose what looks stupid is different to everyone.

No it's not?! :confused:

They're a European spec font, so are legal iirc

And it only looks stupid to those who don't like it. Not that I have them, then again, I don't have a German car

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Maybe I should think about Polish style plates for my car...
    It would look brilliant, wouldn't it???
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Phew, looks like I ditched mine in the nick of time. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

I like them on certain cars tbh...
    And if I decided to get them sometime well I'm sure i'd be happy with them,
    there hardly THAT offensive to some like, only number plates at the end of the day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah, I don't see the problem TBH.

I do have a problem with the vinyl plates that have a very heavy font/typeface (often with a coloured drop shadow) making them very difficult to read, however...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Each to their own I guess. There are far worse things that people do to their cars!

Id probably put the Japanese plates back on my car if I thought Id get away with it :p

In Ireland it's considered as not really imporant thing, but there are plenty of countries (in Europe) where fiddling with your number plate is serious offence, as number plate is official document.

CiniO wrote: »
    In Ireland it's considered as not really imporant thing, but there are plenty of countries (in Europe) where fiddling with your number plate is serious offence, as number plate is official document.

Its serious enough over here as well in fairness; illegal plates will fail the NCT and usually attract the attention of the Gardai.

djimi wrote: »
    Its serious enough over here as well in fairness; illegal plates will fail the NCT and usually attract the attention of the Gardai.

Connsidering how many cars there is on Irish roads with modified numberplates, some of which to the extent that they are completely unreadable, tells me it must not be that serious offence.

• Advertisement

Connsidering how many cars there is on Irish roads with modified numberplates, some of which to the extent that they are completely unreadable, tells me it must not be that serious offence.

Its like everything over here; its only a serious offense when the Gardai bother to police it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

120 Euro fine over here if you fart around with your plate at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

No difference to having idiot tattooed on their forehead, probably less painful though lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

I'v German style plates on my car, properly done with just the german font (No stickers ****e)

Looks better than standard on certain cars. And it's just about legal.

Why the **** am i classed as an idiot who can't drive just because of the font on a bit of metal on my car?

I'v German style plates on my car, properly done with just the german font (No stickers ****e)

Why the **** am i classed as an idiot who can't drive just because of the font on a bit of metal on my car?

License plate is there to identify your car against its vehicle registration record., its not a customisable fashion accessory.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

.license plates can use any font in Ireland..
    License is legal as long as it meets these criteria.
    1) IRL left handside
    2) County on top
    3) Correct spacing

Have a read http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/si/0287.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

dgt wrote: »

Renault Clio
    Nissan Almera
    Fiat Seicento

That's such a poxy argument that comes up every time.

There are more than German cars in Germany, obviously. It's a bold font pressed metal plate style that people like, it just happened to begin over here when people started a trend of putting them on Vw's.

I like them and I've have no problem putting them on the Jag, or anything marque for that matter.

The same way American style or "Cali" style plates look very well on most cars, but you don't go around laughing because they're not just on Dodge Rams..

It's a style, there isn't a prerequisite for them to be on a German car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

License plate is there to identify your car against its vehicle registration record., its not a customisable fashion accessory.

Sure a car is just something to get us from A to B, so lets all buy Nissan Leafs....

Seriously, i think the German Font is better than standard font on certain cars once it's properly done, I.e no stickers or other crap.

Sure a car is just something to get us from A to B, so lets all buy Nissan Leafs....

Seriously, i think the German Font is better than standard font on certain cars once it's properly done, I.e no stickers or other crap.

Go live in Germany then :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

That's such a poxy argument that comes up every time.

There are more than German cars in Germany, obviously. It's a bold font pressed metal plate style that people like, it just happened to begin over here when people started a trend of putting them on Vw's.

I like them and I've have no problem putting them on the Jag, or anything marque for that matter.

The same way American style or "Cali" style plates look very well on most cars, but you don't go around laughing because they're not just on Dodge Rams..

It's a style, there isn't a prerequisite for them to be on a German car.

Different strokes, diffent folks. I simply don't like em, full stop. When I see every other car on the road with em, it gets very tiresome very quick. Especially when its a little beat up clio or an old almera. That's just my opinion, whether is controversial or not, right or wrong, it's how I feel about them. Just an opinion ;)

Personally, I think the stickers look absolutely stupid on the numberplates. That's a great way of attracting attention from AGS.

And as for no burger king stickers? Pfffft!!!! :rolleyes:

I understand that the font is legal once there is no slash in the zero but it won't change the fact I think the font looks silly on Irl plates.

Advertisement