Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selective c-section

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Someone who works in the area of maternity care was telling me there are guidelines called NICE (surely loads of info on google) and that a woman is entitled to demand a C-section even if the only reason is that she wants one. There does not have to be a medical reason so a consultant working in the public maternity services cannot refuse to give you a C-section. They may do their utmost to talk you out of it but at the end of the day it is your decision. As you say you have your reasons, when you discuss these with your consultant he/she may decide that they are valid reasons anyway and not have a problem with giving you a c-section.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Back from my scan today, placenta was lying under the baby so very high chance of another section. I'm glad it adds to legitimate medical my reasons for another one as the nurse was so dismissive before. I know it may move as the pregnancy develops, but for the foreseeable future, the doctors will be preparing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Too posh to push?

Don’t be so rude, every woman should be able to decide how she wants to give birth, weather that be natural or though a c section, people can have extreme fears of childbirth or if they have been abused in the past natural childbirth can be terrifying to them. Don’t judge people’s choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

StaceyJ wrote: »
    Don’t be so rude, every woman should be able to decide how she wants to give birth, weather that be natural or though a c section, people can have extreme fears of childbirth or if they have been abused in the past natural childbirth can be terrifying to them. Don’t judge people’s choices.

Would you expect the tax payer to fund these choices, if made in the absence of medical necessity?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Would you expect the tax payer to fund these choices, if made in the absence of medical necessity?

UK NICE guidance considers tokophobia, maternal mental health and previous sexual abuse all valid reasons for maternal request ELCS - so yes, it should be funded. A mother who is happy and able to bond better with her baby after the birth of her choice will probably end up saving the taxpayer money in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Why wouldn't it be so funded? My second section was my choice. I had no interest in going for a vaginal birth after my first pregnancy ended in an elective section. I'll be having a section this time too, as I've already told my consultant I won't be attempting a vaginal delivery.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mod:

Closing zombie thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement