Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selective c-section

Options
  • 10-10-2012 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

Im not pregnant but next year I am getting married and we both are hopin we will have children. I would like to know is it possible to have a selective c-section and if so how would I go about this and how much would it cost. Thankyou for any info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Firstly I think you mean an elective section, not selective, it will make your online search easier to have the correct term.

I don't know much about it but a C-section is still a major surgery, with a lot of recovery afterwards, so it's something to think very carefully about before setting your mind on that route when it isn't needed for medical reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Having just had a c-section it is not something I would choose. It is major abdominal surgery with many risks and recovery is slow and quite painful.

I had a vaginal birth with my first baby and would much prefer that.

I don't know if there is any hospital that would perform unnecessary surgery just because you want it.

As regards cost you can go public in which case everything is free or you can choose to go semi private or private if you have health insurance. Costs for these are about €2000 upwards and as far as I know more if you ate having an elective c section, you can find out more on the maternity hospitals websites or from your health insurance provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

As far as I know unless it's medically necessary, in Ireland on your first you can't have an elective c-section. If you had a section on your first you can choose to either have a section again or go the VBAC route.

Maybe certain hospitals have slightly different policies but this seems to be standard as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

OP, you cannot get an elective c-section in Ireland, that's a thing you hear about in the USA as it is possible there. Why would you actually want to get a c-section though over a natural birth? The recovery is so much longer and your tummy will never go back to the way it was before you got the c-section. A friend of mine had a natural birth and then with her 2nd child had to have a c-section due to complications and she was devastated having to go through the c-section. You will be very sore afterwards for quite some time, and also nevermind that it is MAJOR surgery.

If tearing is what you are worried about (but doesn't that happen most women anyway to some extent or another?), you can heal up a lot faster with that than you would after a c-section. It sounds to me like you haven't properly thought about this issue at all - I suggest you do your research first so you can see how both compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Petite84 wrote: »
    Hi,

Im not pregnant but next year I am getting married and we both are hopin we will have children. I would like to know is it possible to have a selective c-section and if so how would I go about this and how much would it cost. Thankyou for any info.

Too posh to push?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

First of all, you can definitely have an elective c section in Ireland. One of our posters here had one in Jan/Feb 2009 if I remember correctly. She did have to convince her consultant about it though.

Best to research both options, c section is not necessarily the easy option. It is major abdominal surgery and carries risks just as vaginal birth does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Petite84 wrote: »
    Hi,

Hi I'd really like to apologise if January or yourself didn't find my previous comment "to posh to push" helpful. I was merely trying to link you to this page.

http://m.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/pregnancy_too_posh_003739.htm

At the end of the day it is your decision, so I hope the article highlights the reasons an elective c-section isn't a great option. I really do hope you find this helpful and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me through pm. I will ensure it is a safe, friendly and warm.

Best of luck trying I really hope everything works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I really can't understand why people are so opposed to a section.
    Surely it's a matter of personal choice? The research is out there for everyone to read so no one decides to opt for one lightly.
    And the too posh to push comments are quite rude in my opinion. Maybe some women don't necessarily want to go into detail about why they want one. And to be honest I don't blame them because it's no ones business but their own.
    Once a baby is born healthy & happy then that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Surely it's a matter of personal choice? The research is out there for everyone to read so no one decides to opt for one lightly.
    And the too posh to push comments are quite rude in my opinion. Maybe some women don't necessarily want to go into detail about why they want one. And to be honest I don't blame them because it's no ones business but their own.

The entire pregnancy/child rearing aspect in life is full of emotion and people get particularly sensitive and opinionated when it comes to highly emotional subjects. I personally don't care for the too posh to push comments but I'm not a fan of the elective section myself. Wouldn't judge anyone else for it though. I just don't feel the risk is worth it. I can understand the appeal behind the elective section, the element of control over when, how baby is born but I would hate to unnecessarily put my body through the strain of major surgery.

Quite common in the us and uk these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Rachineire wrote: »

The entire pregnancy/child rearing aspect in life is full of emotion and people get particularly sensitive and opinionated when it comes to highly emotional subjects. I personally don't care for the too posh to push comments but I'm not a fan of the elective section myself. Wouldn't judge anyone else for it though. I just don't feel the risk is worth it. I can understand the appeal behind the elective section, the element of control over when, how baby is born but I would hate to unnecessarily put my body through the strain of major surgery.

Quite common in the us and uk these days though.

I think it's one of those things that if you mind yourself properly after it then the recovery should be easy enough. I know a good few that have had two or three & never had a problem afterwards. But they really minded themselves & most felt back to normal after about three or four weeks. I suppose everyone is different.
    I just feel sorry for women who have their heart set on a natural birth but have the decision made for them about the section & you will always get one who will say "too posh to push". Some women get really upset because they feel the natural birth was what they wanted but didn't get due to unforeseen circumstances obviously.
    And as I mentioned already if a woman decides a section is what she wants then she shouldn't have to explain herself for that decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

You can absolutely have an elective section, but you have to fight your corner and do your research. Tell them why you want it. You're both adults and can make a decision on it, but don't go in saying I just,want it, have your points and back them up. Maternal distress can be just as serious as fetal distress so hammer that home.

Also bear in mind most insurance companies only cover medically necessary sections, my two sections were necessary and cost my insurance company 4,000 each. That is just for the operation itself and separate to any outpatient costs. So if you go private for example the cost of meeting your baby could reach 8,000.

Don't worry about the nay sayers, be prepared for the too posh to push crowd and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Petite84

Thanks to everyone for their advice. This is most certainly not a decision im taking lightly as I said im not yet pregnant, so im doing all the reasearch I can before please god I become pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Too posh to push?
    ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Hi I'd really like to apologise if January or yourself didn't find my previous comment "to posh to push" helpful. I was merely trying to link you to this page.

http://m.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/pregnancy_too_posh_003739.htm

At the end of the day it is your decision, so I hope the article highlights the reasons an elective c-section isn't a great option. I really do hope you find this helpful and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me through pm. I will ensure it is a safe, friendly and warm.

Best of luck trying I really hope everything works out for you.

Posts are worlds apart. Thank you for coming back and explaining what you meant. Really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

As others have said, its possible to have an elective section here.

Its something I personally tried to avoid at all costs, its a major surgery, with a long healing process and can make it hard for you to move around for a while after. The recovery isn't supposed to be pleasant (though granted recovery from a natural birth isn't pleasant either) and you run the risk of infection or your scar rupturing.

Best of luck with your decision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 satcmegafan

Yes you can choose to have an elective c section, I had one myself 12 days ago and it was the best decision i ever made, it was a super calm experience and I now have the beautiful baby i have always wanted. I sought out a particular consultant (privately) who I was aware is pro section and asked him straight out if I could have one and he agreed, I gave him my reasons and those reasons are between him and myself. My close friends know that i asked for one and others (including family) i lie to and say i needed one for medical reasons as to be honest when i mention the hospital where i stayed and that i had a section you would not believe the comments i got. Do i care? no of course not i knew i never wanted to give birth 'naturally', i did my research and i found a consultant who would give me what i wanted. His fees were 3000 (i believe i can claim back approx 500 of this from health insurance), and the only other cost was for baby to stay in the nursery for the 5 nights i was in for (less than 1000e) my surgery and stay in a private room were completely covered by my husbands health insurance. The surgery itself was easier than a trip to the dentist and although i am still a little sore around the wound i would not change a thing, you can hardly even see the scar so if this is something you want read up on it, seek out a consultant who will do agree to do it for you and above all ignore people's comments, its your decision plain and simple, I wish you the very best of luck, I have zero regrets and will be forever grateful to my consultant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 0210ania

I was looking for some information regarding this as well. Is it written somewhere that you can have it if you choose to?
    I'm not pregnant yet, but I hope in the near future I ll be.
    My fear is not because I don't want to but because of me eyes. I'm having glasses -8,5 diopter and years ago my optician back home said that that while pushing (or even lifting heavy etc) I can loos my sight.
    I'm stressed thinking about it that it might happen but more bout this how to make sure it won't happen.
    And I know I ll have to go public.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have similar eye sight and had 3 naturally but was never told there would be a risk to my sight if there is a medical risk they will give you a c-section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭uli84

as far as I know poor eyesight is not treated as risk factor requiring c section in Ireland/UK.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it may be caused by an underlying medical disorder rather then being the medical order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

0210ania wrote: »
    I was looking for some information regarding this as well. Is it written somewhere that you can have it if you choose to?
    I'm not pregnant yet, but I hope in the near future I ll be.
    My fear is not because I don't want to but because of me eyes. I'm having glasses -8,5 diopter and years ago my optician back home said that that while pushing (or even lifting heavy etc) I can loos my sight.
    I'm stressed thinking about it that it might happen but more bout this how to make sure it won't happen.
    And I know I ll have to go public.

i take it you are from Poland ?

c sections because of high myopia are common in Poland but really rare here and in the UK because there's just not sufficient research to support it being a significant risk factor.

Im an optometrist and have seen hundreds of women with your prescription and higher. i have never met anyone who suffered a retinal detachment during child birth.

as far as i understand, the risks are tiny.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that info ,that is really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭ameee

I thought a c section seemed to be easier then a natural birth with all the too posh to push headlines at the time but when i was in hospital after giving birth naturally i realised i was wrong. I was up and about the next day not too bad but the women in the ward that had sections seemed in a lot of pain couldn't get up or even lift their babies up without help and they were there a few days before me at that stage. They were still there when i was leaving very stiff and uncomfortable looking . I think unless you had to have one for medical reasons yyou would be mad to put yourself through it.

That being said if a real fear of natural birth was going to have you a nervous wreak for your whole pregnancy you should do what feels right for you

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The "too posh to push" stuff is always played up as being much more widespread than it actually is. Exceptionally wealthy women who can afford to pay for a completely private deluxe suite and 24/7 assistance from a nurse, maid and cook may go down the c-section route, but even then the incident of it is very small.

A c-section leaves the woman very sore for at least a week and incapable of anything except feeding their child and themselves for 2-3 weeks. A normal birth on the other hand (assuming it goes generally OK) and she's more-or-less back to normal within a week.

The c-section is nice in that your child arrives on a schedule, but unless you have a team of people offering to give you 24/7 assistance for a month then there is no way in hell that it's the easier option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Totally agree - having been thru a section because of a breech baby - there is no easy way of getting a baby out!!!
    I'm trying fir a natural birth this time around but this baby is also breech at 31 weeks so will have to see, but I'm dreading a repeat of the section - esp with a 1yr old to care for - ill need help - no option for the first month.
    Natural births from what I gather can be just as traumatic but in general do offer a quicker recovery depending on stitches etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I seem to have a very different experience of section recovery than most women, I was out of bed 5 hours later and doing my bits and pieces and though I was a bit stiff, I was able to look after my child by myself. I also was able to walk a 4km trip when the wound was only 5 days old. But everyone is different. It wasn't easy, just doable. But then again I had no one to help me as my partner was gone from morning to night.

Now I am pregnant with my second, though the nurses don't want me to I want to demand a second section. Not because I am "too posh to push" but because of a few personal reasons. I have yet to see a Obstetrician so when I do I will have my literature ready. It is not a decision to make lightly, but it is a personal one and there is nothing worse than a person ramming it down your throat what you should and should not do as I have had.

It is true, though you lose the weight, you will never have the same figure as a natural birth gets you too and you cannot bath or drive for 6 weeks, so look into everything in detail and wait until you are pregnant to decide fully, then again, some women want an all natural birth and end up c-sectioned so even if you decide to go natural, it may all change and you just have to go with the flow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I had a great recovery from a section. Far better than my sister in law who had a very difficult vaginal birth requiring a lot of stitches and who developed an infection post natally. I was up in the shower at 7am the next morning, walked to the nursery with my baby for changes and didn't linger in bed. I got good pain management and after three days I was on paracetamol only for pain relief. When I got home I was out walking the next day and had no complications with the scar, which healed perfectly. I had prescription for difene which I took very sparingly. I breastfed with few issues too and had no issues with the surgery.

I had no option but to have a section last time. This time around, I'm not worried either way. I've a high likelihood of another section and it doesn't bother me a bit. Women have complications following vaginal births too and can end up with episiotomies they don't want. I got comments that I was 'dead right to chose a section' from some people - I think they assumed because I was private it was all my own choice, but I couldn't give a fiddlers. People have little to be talking about if they need to comment on how some other women gets a baby out of her uterus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Op I had one and never looked back. We paid to go private and made it clear from day 1 that I wanted a section. The consultant only committed to it closer to the end but I had the section and was very happy with it all. My GP understood why I wanted the section and was willing to back me all the way.

It may be major surgery but I recovered (as a geriatric mother) very quickly (up and showered by 6 am the next day) and have none of the issues e.g. tearing / incontinence that friends of mine, who have had vaginal births, have. Not all vaginal births run smoothly either.

There were extenuating circumstances for my reasoning but in fairness to the GP and consultant, I was never put under pressure to have a 'natural' birth.

Dont let people put you off. You obviously have your reasons and if they are good enough for you then its no one elses business.

Ignore the patronishing posters with their too posh to push comments - its none of their business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

lazygal wrote: »
    I had a great recovery from a section. Far better than my sister in law who had a very difficult vaginal birth requiring a lot of stitches and who developed an infection post natally. I was up in the shower at 7am the next morning, walked to the nursery with my baby for changes and didn't linger in bed. I got good pain management and after three days I was on paracetamol only for pain relief. When I got home I was out walking the next day and had no complications with the scar, which healed perfectly. I had prescription for difene which I took very sparingly. I breastfed with few issues too and had no issues with the surgery.

I had the exact same experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I have only seen a nurse so far and won't see a doctor until I am 28 weeks (7 weeks time) the nurse was very dismissive of me having a second one "Oh, you're young, we rather not" but with reasons by the bucket load, I am going to make my case very clear to the doctor when I see them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I had a slow and painful recovery from a section. I found it agony to get out of bed the day after the procedure. Walking was difficult for a few days, laughing was hard for at least a week as I felt like I would split in two when I laughed, sitting up was hard and I needed suppositories for a week after the surgery due to issues with using the toilet. Sleeping was difficult as I was so sore, getting up to tend to my baby during the night was torture as it was hard to sit up and to hold her against me as any pressure on my stomach was sore. All in all it was four weeks before I felt like I could move without crying.

There are people that heal really well after surgery, but I wasn't one of them. I wish I had been as it would have made the bonding experience much more enjoyable and much easier.

I would not go into a c section scenario without having all the facts, but if it was something I was set on then I would push for an elective section. Personally, if I ever go again I will do everything to go for a natural birth. My best friend had a section the same time as me and she would push for a section again, so different strokes I guess! Hers was elective, mine was emergency, so that is most likely a defining factor.

Hoping you conceive enjoyably & quickly! And get the birth you want x

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement