Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today:120,000 foot space jump.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

weather hold agaaaaaaaaain!

:(

next try @ 14.30

These hold-ups remind me that chickens can't fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

Their time is 14.30 GMT which is 15.30 our time isn't it? We are +1. GMT is only 13.25 now. Or am I reading it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

El Weirdo wrote: »

Video of Kittinger's jump.

Thanks for the link, OP.

Still one of the most incredible videos of one of the most amazing feats of human endeavour from someone with ludicrously massive balls. Here's his account of the jump:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/10/121008-joseph-kittinger-felix-baumgartner-skydive-science/
    There is a hostile sky above me. Man will never conquer space. He may live in it, but he will never conquer it. The sky above is void and very black and very hostile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Jacksquat wrote: »
    Their time is 14.30 GMT which is 15.30 our time isn't it? We are +1. GMT is only 13.25 now. Or am I reading it wrong

no, Ireland is GMT

next update at 15:30 and next definite launch time is now 17:30 (subject to change)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

People use the phrase 'GMT' wrongly during summer time. Generally take it that they mean the 'time in Greenwich London', despite Greenwich not being on GMT !

<5 minutes to launch. (or maybe not, delayed again)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

no, Ireland is GMT

next update at 15:30 and next definite launch time is now 17:30 (subject to change)

except we're on british summer time (BST) at the moment. GMT is when the clocks go back an hour, so the definite launch time is 18.30 irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

People use the phrase 'GMT' wrongly during summer time. Generally take it that they mean the 'time in Greenwich London', despite Greenwich not being on GMT !

<5 minutes to launch. (or maybe not, delayed again)
    no, Ireland is GMT

Sorry if I'm being persistantly wrong. :o I get what you mean by "time in Greenwich London"
    But their lauch time now is 11.30 (MDT) MDT is currently 7 hours behind Irish time. So the launch time here should be 11.30+7 which is 6.30 and not 5.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Basically he won't be launching until teatime, then it's a 2 hour ascent time before he jumps, which means it'll be around 8-8:30pm before he comes down to earth (baring further delays).

Suits me down to the ground (sic) as I'm at work where the live stream is blocked :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Sorry if I'm being persistantly wrong. :o I get what you mean by "time in Greenwich London"
    But their lauch time now is 11.30 (MDT) MDT is currently 7 hours behind Irish time. So the launch time here should be 11.30+7 which is 6.30 and not 5.30?

Who knows, it totally confuses me. As part of the job I have to log on to these Microsoft Webinars every so often, and they send you an email saying it'll be 3PM Central European Time. And during summer you then have to work out whether they mean 'real unchangable unalterable' CET or fake CET with daylight saving.
    So much less confusion if they would just refer to Paris time or London time.

Anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Who knows, it totally confuses me. As part of the job I have to log on to these Microsoft Webinars every so often, and they send you an email saying it'll be 3PM Central European Time. And during summer you then have to work out whether they mean 'real unchangable unalterable' CET or fake CET with daylight saving.
    So much less confusion if they would just refer to Paris time or London time.

Anyway.

If they used UTC that would be handier, as there is no ambiguity associated with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Technically we (Ireland) are in the same Time Zone as GMT. Currently GMT is officially called GMT+1 as we are in British Summer Time (BST). But for this purpose if the say GMT, it'll be the same time in Ireland.

Also if you go to watch the launch and you find your and hour late, you'll find the new name for that is "Mc Illroyed".

Stratosphereic question? Nice jump suit yer man has, it's pressurised but is it flammable? Ot at what height do you have to be before you start to get burned going in and out of the atmosphere? Wait I might just google what is the difference between stratosphere and atmosphere? Back in a min.....

Edit : Meh, too complex to explain click HERE if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Plazaman wrote: »
    Stratosphereic question? Nice jump suit yer man has, it's pressurised but is it flammable? Ot at what height do you have to be before you start to get burned going in and out of the atmosphere? Wait I might just google what is the difference between stratosphere and atmosphere? Back in a min.....

All info about the suit is here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Plazaman wrote: »
    Technically we (Ireland) are in the same Time Zone as GMT. Currently GMT is officially called GMT+1 as we are in British Summer Time (BST). But for this purpose if the say GMT, it'll be the same time in Ireland.

Also if you go to watch the launch and you find your and hour late, you'll find the new name for that is "Mc Illroyed".

Edit : Meh, too complex to explain click HERE if interested

There is no timezone called GMT. There is only a time called GMT. GMT and GMT+1 are not the same.

We are on Irish Summer Time right now, which is the same as BST, British Summer Time. This is equal to GMT+1, not GMT.

GMT is the same as our Winter time.

If they say the jump will be at GMT X, then the jump will be at GMT X+1 our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

While you wait for the jump, read Joe Kittinger's wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kittinger

Badass doesnt even come close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Ok so its restarting in 10 minutes been waiting for this for some time

LINK

You Tube

what are your thoughts on it?

While mostly we've had boring political activist/fear mongering/ ranting about stuff people should be protesting about... Well lets change this up a little.

My personal opinion is that its brilliant I love the fact that people push limitations of what can be done... The fact that comp nays get behind them is also awesome and sure why not only way in these days things are possible any way a worlds first in the making :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

They keep pushing back the time.

They were saying half five but now it's looking like 6.20.

When's he do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Birneybau wrote: »
    Beaten to it, Snowie.

Edit: Threads merged. I want my pies!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    They keep pushing back the time.

They were saying half five but now it's looking like 6.20.

When's he do it?

When the weather conditions won't kill him.
    Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Seaneh wrote: »
    When the weather conditions won't kill him.
    Simples.

he's such a wuss

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Update says he has entered the capsule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

He's no Chuck Yeager anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

You can see the peoples in the live feed. Like ants they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Getting there....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Soups123

Pray to god no one lets one off or this is getting held up again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Oooooh zoomed in!

Fancy bastards :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

we got zoom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

countdown ohhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Red Bull Stratos, a mission to the edge of space, will attempt to transcend human limits that have existed for 50 years. Supported by a team of experts Felix Baumgartner plans to ascend to 120,000 feet in a stratospheric balloon and make a freefall jump rushing toward earth at supersonic speeds before parachuting to the ground. His attempt to dare atmospheric limits holds the potential to provide valuable medical and scientific research data for future pioneers.

The Red Bull Stratos team brings together the world's leading minds in aerospace medicine, engineering, pressure suit development, capsule creation and balloon fabrication. It includes retired United States Air Force Colonel Joseph Kittinger, who holds three of the records Felix will strive to break.

Joe's record jump from 102,800 ft in 1960 was during a time when no one knew if a human could survive a jump from the edge of space. Joe was a Captain in the U.S. Air Force and had already taken a balloon to 97,000 feet in Project ManHigh and survived a drogue mishap during a jump from 76,400 feet in Excelsior I. The Excelsior III mission was his 33rd parachute jump.

Although researching extremes was part of the program's goals, setting records wasn't the mission's purpose. Joe ascended in helium balloon launched from the back of a truck. He wore a pressurized suit on the way up in an open, unpressurized gondola. Scientific data captured from Joe's jump was shared with U.S. research personnel for development of the space program. Today Felix and his specialized team hope to take what was learned from Joe's jumps more than 50 years ago and press forward to test the edge of the human envelope.

no chance of that happening. terminal velocity anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Dead Man Walking

T minus 3

Advertisement