Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5 mile Jan 27

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

4 stars (good)
    Really felt the wind at the top of the hill on mile 4, still a great race, my Raheny Debut and will be back next year for more. (32:24).

well done to all the organisers, for a road race, it was seemless. Great support too which amazed me. And as for the goody bag.............:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

RayCun wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:
    definitely a different race to the rest of us :pac:
    Still always a good race in Raheny, and I'm not going to complain too much about the conditions :)

Thats because you were sandbagging your target. Sub 30 was no bother to ya your a damn side closer to 29 than thirty shape:D

4 stars (good)
    Congrats Ray, great achievement, imagine your time with no wind! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

4 stars (good)
    Found the first mile so tough, the wind was tough but I did it in the end.

It was a great event, really well organised and supported. The goody bag was excellent and the plaque is a great touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Very well run race, first time doing it. Found the wind tough towards the end, was hoping for sub 29mins but ended in 29:01!!! On another day it'll come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

are those results provisional ? i got a text with my time but i am not in results on website.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RoverHogan

4 stars (good)
    Another great race in Raheny. The wind was tough at times, especially on the last mile. I really struggled up that hill, but managed to eek out a 17 sec PB. Now, off to eat some of that chocolate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

4 stars (good)
    Great race. Thought the conditions weren't too bad at all. It's always going to be a fast four miles on that course with a hard slog for the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

4 stars (good)
    ecoli wrote: »
    Were we in the same race:confused: :confused :D

At 13:30 I was in the car with the wipers on double speed thinking "I have to run in THIS" ! So, a bit of headwind on the Howth Road was little to be bothered about, especially when a headwind in mile #2 becomes a tailwind in mile #4 :D !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great race today. Thankfully the worst of the weather was out of the way for the off. Had a solid race myself, though was a bit wobbly on the coastal bit. Pulled myself together for the uphill and then sucked up that last half mile or so into the wind to take me home in 29:13. By the looks of some previous posts here, i finished in and around a few boardsies.

Super goody bag and great organisation as always. Also hats off to all the supporters today. If only every race was like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

4 stars (good)
    Yeah would echo the above, great race in terms of organisation, support and even with the wind and rain the atmosphere was very positive. Got home just under 30 for the first time with 29:48 so pretty good day all around. Last mile was indeed a case of putting the head down and sucking it up, you'll always get there! Now, time to make a fool of the goodie bag! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlton36

4 stars (good)
    First time running this race today. Definitely lived up to its reputation. Great race, great organisation and great value. My children loved the goody bag.. it had something for everyone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

4 stars (good)
    Really enjoyed this race -great organisation, goodie bag & support. Did 3 mins better than last year too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done to all posters here on some great times. I was registered but unfortunately couldn't run due to injury. But i thouroughly enjoyed supporting the runners so its nice to see that the support is appreciated. I positioned myself on the coast road there just before the turn onto watermill road and the hill as I knew that's where the encouragement would be needed. Love this race. Already looking forward to being fit and well for it next year when I believe it is the 30th anniversary. I thought I heard that on the tannoy today anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

4 stars (good)
    Excellent race today. This was probably one of the best organised and supported races I've been to. Was chuffed with my time of 36:18 and will definitely be back next year, the price of entry was worth the goodie bag alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

RedRunner wrote: »
    Well done to all posters here on some great times. I was registered but unfortunately couldn't run due to injury. But i thouroughly enjoyed supporting the runners so its nice to see that the support is appreciated. I positioned myself on the coast road there just before the turn onto watermill road and the hill as I knew that's where the encouragement would be needed. Love this race. Already looking forward to being fit and well for it next year when I believe it is the 30th anniversary. I thought I heard that on the tannoy today anyway.

i was also out of this today due to non-running related injury but went along to support too. Very exciting at the finishing line and great to see some Boardsies arriving with some great times. Yes, next year is the 30th run. Hope we both make it fit and healthy next year! :)

Ososlo wrote: »
    i was also out of this today due to non-running related injury but went along to support too. Very exciting at the finishing line and great to see some Boardsies arriving with some great times. Yes, next year is the 30th run. Hope we both make it fit and healthy next year! :)

Absolutely, sorry you suffered the same fate as me. I think its worse when its a non-running related injury that prevents you running!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

4 stars (good)
    Well done to all who raced and came out to support today.

A family event for us; youngest Stew (9 years) ran the 800M and I think I'll have to get him to help me with my intervals, 2.57 for him:D
    Mr Stew and I both ran really well in spite of that killer wind on the uphill after 4 miles. (33.46 for him, PB and 33.07 for me)

The support was fantastic and the organisation was seamless, especially given the record field.

I'm possibly on my way to a diabetic coma after the wonderful goody bag;)

4 stars (good)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    Well done to all who raced and came out to support today.

A family event for us; youngest Stew (9 years) ran the 800M and I think I'll have to get him to help me with my intervals, 2.57 for him:D
    Mr Stew and I both ran really well in spite of that killer wind on the uphill after 4 miles. (33.46 for him, PB and 33.07 for me)

The support was fantastic and the organisation was seamless, especially given the record field.

I'm possibly on my way to a diabetic coma after the wonderful goody bag;)

Great run Ms Stew. Great to meet you again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

4 stars (good)
    The target was sub-41mins; the plan was to shoot for 40 and try to hang on.

The training has been going well lately (thanks for the sessions, meno) so I was pretty confident that 40m was achievable. Was doing the race with a friend, P, who was looking at roughly the same time so we decided to stick with each other at 5min/k (8m/mile) pace and see how we got on. This is a popular race and the start, with all the people and narrowish roads, felt pretty slow. But as we got to the 1 mile mark on Howth Rd. we had made most of it back and were only a few seconds behind schedule. Having said that, I was already feeling the pace, which was much more challenging than usual. The start of this race feels flat-to-downhill, but I was surprised to look at the Garmin data and see the first mile is an uphill drag. But Sybill Hill road is definitely downhill (and downwind today) so by the time we got to the second mile marker in 15:43 we had more than made up for the slow start. I was beginning to regret the birthday celebrations from the night before, with rich food and a few drinks. P was looking and feeling good though - well able to converse despite my monosyllabic replies. I apologised for letting him do all the work, but he didn't seem to mind, and I just hung on to him during mile 3, fast again (for me) at 7:28.

We hit the seafront before 26 minutes and I was really afraid of blowing up at this point, so after another few minutes I told P (who had been very sporting by not leaving me behind) to push on, and I took a little bit of a breather going up the hill on Watermill Road. Through the 4 mile mark in 30:45, I started to feel a little better as the grade got a little flatter, although I knew the finish was uphill pretty much all the way. Turning left back onto All Saints Road again, the sun was low and straight in the eyes so I just looked at the ground and started counting down to the finish which couldn't be that far away now. As always, the last few hundred meters seemed to drag on forever but at last I was rounding the corner into the final straight, and finished with what I hope was a smile on my face at an unofficial 38:39.

Hooked up with P who had gone done 37:30 or so - maybe I did him a favour conserving his energy for the tough uphill finish over the last mile and a bit! Fair play to him, and there's no doubt his pacemaking got me through the race - a revelation really, as I have become used to running alone.

Organisation was top notch throughout the day and all over the course. Very enjoyable race and the heaviest goody bag I've picked up yet (I still haven't examined the contents but it's too heavy to all be good).

Target: 40:59
    Time (unofficial): 38:39
    Splits: 8:07 / 7:36 / 7:28 / 7:34 / 7:54

Verdict: This race was da business in all respects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Delighted everyone enjoyed it despite the weather, and thanks so much to all my clubmates for the organising & volunteering (I ran this year but will definitely volunteer next.)
    Marthastew, I THINK I may have been talking to you before the race, about goody bags, in the Cara Hall / bag drop. Was that you? I didn't think it until your husband came in & said you name, and I didn't put two & two together until you'd gone. Also, I didn't want to look like an internet stalker! Whether or not it was you, well run, that's a great time! (I was in a green Raheny jacket, dark hair and I was foostering about dropping things & losing my hat etc)
    Claralara, great to see you! Sorry I had to rush off. Hope you enjoyed it & that your back is on the mend!
    Well run, everyone.

Oh, 35.12 for me, more than 3 mins off last year, so delighted.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Delighted everyone enjoyed it despite the weather, and thanks so much to all my clubmates for the organising & volunteering (I ran this year but will definitely volunteer next.)
    Marthastew, I THINK I may have been talking to you before the race, about goody bags, in the Cara Hall / bag drop. Was that you? I didn't think it until your husband came in & said you name, and I didn't put two & two together until you'd gone. Also, I didn't want to look like an internet stalker! Whether or not it was you, well run, that's a great time! (I was in a green Raheny jacket, dark hair and I was foostering about dropping things & losing my hat etc)
    Claralara, great to see you! Sorry I had to rush off. Hope you enjoyed it & that your back is on the mend!
    Well run, everyone.

Oh, 35.12 for me, more than 3 mins off last year, so delighted.

Hey HelenAnne, Gonna send you a PM about Club since you are a member.Hope you don't mind but you might be able to help me or direct me to the right person.
    Thanks

RR

4 stars (good)

Results showing my clock time and chip time the same - so off by some 1:40 or so.:confused: Anyone know if there's a way to correct this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vinsanity

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

murphd77 wrote: »
    Results showing my clock time and chip time the same - so off by some 1:40 or so.:confused: Anyone know if there's a way to correct this?

You are saying that both your clock time and chip time is out by 1 min 40 sec?

4 stars (good)
    YFlyer wrote: »
    You are saying that both your clock time and chip time is out by 1 min 40 sec?

No - Clock time is correct, but chip time is showing the same as the clock time, whereas I started towards the back and so chip time should be faster. Looks like chip did not register properly at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ah ok, that's a bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

4 stars (good)
    Really felt the wind at the top of the hill on mile 4, still a great race, my Raheny Debut and will be back next year for more. (32:24).

well done to all the organisers, for a road race, it was seemless. Great support too which amazed me. And as for the goody bag.............:-)

RunningKing,

We mush have finished pretty close (my chip time 32:26). Pretty nasty on the howth Rd with the cold and the wind in the face. Suffered a bit on the last mile, up watermill also... Anyway great day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

4 stars (good)
    Yep, going for the sub 30. First road race since September :eek:

Nice time on Sunday Ray, getting seriously fast there Lad...

Advertisement