Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please add "Thinly veiled ..." to infractions list!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

I voted yes for a ban.

Previous to this post, a mod closed a thread I made with this.

I am too lazy to PM him asking for the thread to be kept open, so I'm posting it here.

- Thinly veiled Abortion bashing threads
    - Thinly veiled Traveler bashing threads
    - Thinly veiled Non national bashing threads
    - Thinly veiled Skobe bashing threads
    - Thinly veiled D4 / Southsider bashing threads
    - Thinly veiled politician bashing threads
    - Thinly veiled bashing of those on Welfare Benefit (Legit or not)
    - Thinly veiled Low paid job bashing threads
    - Thinly veiled Begrudgery of those successful in life threads
    - Thinly veiled Multicultural bashing threads
    - Thinly veiled Illegal Immigrant bashing threads
    - Thinly veiled 'Celtic Cub' / 'Former Celtic Cub' bashing threads
    - Thinly veiled 'Breakfast roll man' bashing threads
    - Thinly veiled Garda bashing threads
    - Thinly veiled attempts at trolling the feminazi's that lurk in AH
    - Thinly veiled area bashing / worst type of place in Ireland threads
    - Thinly veiled culchie bashing threads
    - Thinly veiled contrived threads designed to elicit huge emotional responses by every member of boards (AKA Megathread attempts)

I am not being smart here, I just want to crowdsource a reliable list of threads to avoid here in AH, as I very rarely see a thread that is NOT a bashing thread in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

But...how would you say thinly veiled without saying thinly veiled then? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Chucken wrote: »
    But...how would you say thinly veiled without saying thinly veiled then? :confused:

Vaguely obfuscated attempt to protect thinly veiled

Vaguely obfuscated attempt to protect thinly veiled

But surely (you dont mind if I call you surely?), thinly veiled is already an obfuscation...<<<<<< Is that even a word? :D

Opps..just re-read that. You said protect!!

I suggest we only use the word obfuscate from now on..in every post.

You can say it, just not in ASCII form. For example:

THINLY VEILED
    тнιηℓу νєιℓє∂
    ƬΉIПᄂΥ VΣIᄂΣD
    イんノ刀レリ √乇ノレ乇d
    ⓣⓗⓘⓝⓛⓨ ⓥⓔⓘⓛⓔⓓ
    pǝlıǝʌ ʎluıɥʇ
    tɦïлly vëíléԁ

Etcetera :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Etcetera :pac:

Ooh look at you spelling out etc.
    Thinly veiled "I can spell" post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

This is why we can't have good things. People try to apply far too much logic to AH. :(

I think there should be no problem with AH having it's own collection of In-Jokes, but admittedly, far too often they get done to death.

For this reason I vote no. We as posters should be evolving them ourselves. Outright banning every "fad" that occurs on AH, is not going to stop them being a nuisance that requires them to be banned due to over use.

This is why we can't have good things. People try to apply far too much logic to AH. :(

I think there should be no problem with AH having it's own collection of In-Jokes, but admittedly, far too often they get done to death.

But if they get done to death, they'll just fizzle out after a while.

I think its a bit daft to ban certain phrases, some of them could only ever be used in AH's in context. I mean where in real life could you say "thinly veiled" out loud?

Thinly Veiled, The Movie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

But if they get done to death, they'll just fizzle out after a while.

I think its a bit daft to ban certain phrases, some of them could only ever be used in AH's in context. I mean where in real life could you say "thinly veiled" out loud?

That's the thing, they don't. "Blast with Piss" and "Your Ma" as 2 examples had to be specifically banned due to a tedious amount of over use. It's AH humour, it fitted a mood here for a while, but AH posters should have dropped it and picked up another one, then dropped that. Ideally, they shouldn't require mod intervention to the level that they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

The thing is, it can be hilariously funny at times.
    But it's not that funny because it's repeated too often. So it being funny in 1 out of 15 times, it's still fecking stupid.

I voted yes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Not sick of it just yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Larianne wrote: »
    Not sick of it just yet...

Yeah, nearly there but still see the odd funny one. I vote no.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

It's fcuking retarded at this stage.
    Using it for the sake of using it is not funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

It's about as funny as a car-crash at this stage. Banish it to the shores of meme hell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its either a sly way sometimes by a regular few to have a dig at posters they not maybe like anyway and/or its now at this stage just plain unfunny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Mob fu$cking rule, here we come.

Typical AH post = "rabble rabble Bankers troika gave-away-sovereignty to germany". Well we're doing a good job of emulating the genesis of 1930's Germany here on our own.

Any post here, if you wanted a "normal" debate could find a serious thread. If you want a serious thread then fu$k right off and post it there. If you want to take the pi$$ or want a sprinkling of off the wall irreverent responses then post it here. Simple as that.

Not so thinly veiled "Fu$k nazi moderation" post.

Biggins wrote: »
    Its either a sly way sometimes by a regular few to have a dig at posters they not maybe like anyway and/or its now at this stage just plain unfunny.

I've never thought that :confused:

I just see it as a bit of friendly p**s taking.

I just see it as a bit of friendly p**s taking.

A lot of the time it is - after all, it IS After Hours.
    On the very odd occasion some times I suspect, its something more.

yore wrote: »
    Mob fu$cking rule, here we come.

Typical AH post = "rabble rabble Bankers troika gave-away-sovereignty to germany". Well we're doing a good job of emulating the genesis of 1930's Germany here on our own.

Any post here, if you wanted a "normal" debate could find a serious thread. If you want a serious thread then fu$k right off and post it there. If you want to take the pi$$ or want a sprinkling of off the wall irreverent responses then post it here. Simple as that.

Not so thinly veiled "Fu$k nazi moderation" post.

I'm all for taking the pîss and having a laugh.
    That sentence has become a beacon for some of the bewildered unfunny idiots who are desperate for thanks.
    They ruined it, not us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Definitely not. I still laugh at some good ones.

Sauve wrote: »
    I'm all for taking the pîss and having a laugh.
    That sentence has become a beacon for some of the bewildered unfunny idiots who are desperate for thanks.
    They ruined it, not us.

That last post is the first time I've ever used it the phrase myself.

If someone else posts it, I don't give a sh1te. I don't necessarily find it funny but why should I want to ban it? Why not just reply to it when you see it and tell the poster it's a stupid post if it upsets you. Otherwise just skip past it and ignore it.

Maybe I don't like your posts or your sense of humour or your views on certain things. Is it ok then for me to target banning the aspects of your posts that I don't like?

May Roe <
    unscramble that and I might get a ban. Fu$king stupid. Either it's an irreverent forum or it's not. Decide what you want to be AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I voted no.

Personally, I don't really think it's overused. And (unlike blast'em/your ma etc) it's actually hilarious in some threads ... e.g. Biggins' long driveway.

Besides, here's a bit of trivia for ye - DeVore was the very first person to use this phrase on Boards, way back in 1998 ... so, who are we to ban the use of it? ;)

May Roe <
    unscramble that and I might get a ban.

:confused:

Biggins wrote: »
    May Roe <
    unscramble that and I might get a ban.

:confused:

Yore ma :rolleyes:

Decide what you want to be AH

That's exactly what this thread and the poll is all about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Personally, I don't really think it's overused. And (unlike blast'em/your ma etc) it's actually hilarious in some threads ... e.g. Biggins' long driveway.

That was two months ago.
    Besides, here's a bit of trivia for ye - DeVore was the very first person to use this phrase on Boards, way back in 1998 ... so, who are we to ban the use of it? ;)

And that was fourteen years ago. It's ancient. Done to death. It's over Johnny, it's over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I voted yes because I just get annoyed when I see it now, even at the few funny ones.

It's overused by lazy thanks whores that can't think of something original to say.

It's a pity because some people were brilliantly witty when it was used in the proper context.

REDACTED
    :rolleyes:

Slow day for me, still recovering from last night so slow to unscramble stuff today! :o

Cheers! :D

• Advertisement

That's exactly what this thread and the poll is all about.

Well lock the entire forum then and consign it to the archives. Any vaguely serious post would have a proper forum to post in.

Advertisement