Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy "raw" milk? (poll attached)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'd be reluctant.
    I know very many have lived off it for a long, long time but still drink it only as a last substitute for the current milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I wouldn't buy it from a machine like that but I buy it regularly from a local shop. It's far nicer imo. No real risk either unless you're pregnant or have an underlying condition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Darn. I voted before reading the first post!!!
    If i knew there was some sort of quality control then yes I would. Spent the first 14 years of my life on a dairy farm and never had pasteurised milk but we had a high hygene level. Many farmers didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lannigan

No
    I wouldn't buy it from a machine like that but I buy it regularly from a local shop

Totally agree, used to drunk it regurally as a kid and well into my late teens. So much tastier and creamier. People are too fussy about food these days. If it was going to kill people we wouldn't be here now as our parents would be dead already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Definitely! For the cream at the top of the milk, you don't see that anymore! Anywhere you can buy it here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Not from a machine, maybe from a shop if it could be trusted. Its a bit disgusting but then milk is a bit yuk anyway, now raw cheese, yum yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

No. I don't really drink pasteurised milk as it is.
    I keep getting flashbacks of being sent out to the bulk tank as a child with a jug to get milk for breakfast. I can still smell the parlour.
    Vomit.

Most parts of europe don't have the tuberculosis levels that you find in Ireland so youre safer stick with the pasteurised or microfiltered product.
    However the big difference is that farm milk is full fat milk whereas what most people buy in the shops is skimmed or semi skimmed milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

That milk you get on the continent is fcukin stink.
    You cant beat the Avonmore milky white goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Not from a freaking vending machine!

If its from a farm or something then I would...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

No
    When I was in Australia I worked on two Dairy farms And I drank unpasteurized milk daily never had a problem as I would know if something went wrong as I was milking the cows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

I don't know of any place currently selling it but I am in a position to do so. Just a passing taught but if i could see potential in it I would investigate further. As far as personal experience goes, I've lived off raw milk all my life only when the cows went dry in the winter would I have what i consider "watery" milk and in my opinion the raw milk has given me a great immune systems

Can i ask why you wouldn't by from a self service machine?

corkoian wrote: »

Cuz you don't really know how long the milk has been sitting in there.

If you buy it from a farm or a local store that sources it straight from a farm or something you know its fresh n all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭xper

Would you buy unpasteurized fresh milk from a self service machine similar to this? Its suppose to be big in Europe! (I know there is a lot of regulations)

http://www.lefrancophoney.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/milkbar.jpg

On first opening that picture, I really thought for a second that there was a cow inside that yoke.

I think the wine is kicking in.

The milk I buy is directly traceable and exclusive to a local producer, that's the only reason I buy it tbh. If it was sold via a machine and the milk wasn't traceable to any one particular farm then I wouldn't be pushed on it.

Less chance of it being off if only one farm is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Breast is best. Is lady milk classed as raw milk and would you buy it from a self service machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

No
    I remember about 15 years ago when I was 5 my uncle bringing in fresh milk in a big jug to my Granny from his milking parlour!
    I can still taste the cream......:)

Also to those who say they wouldn't due to being afraid etc we shouldn't really be drinking cows milk anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Scortho wrote: »
    I remember about 15 years ago when I was 5 my uncle bringing in fresh milk in a big jug to my Granny from his milking parlour!
    I can still taste the cream......:)
    Cant get the image of your Grannys big jugs out of my head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

No
    if i knew it came from a local farm and was produced to a high standard , Yes I would buy. I'd ratter my money go to a local small business than a big faceless corporation.

The milk I buy is directly traceable and exclusive to a local producer, that's the only reason I buy it tbh. If it was sold via a machine and the milk wasn't traceable to any one particular farm then I wouldn't be pushed on it.

Less chance of it being off if only one farm is involved.

Ok ill give a bit of background - Im a farmer looking to be less dependant on the fluctuating milk price. Raw milk is a great product but im sure shops are not aloud stock it (open to correction) so its only aloud be sold from "farm gate or farmers market". Vending machines would be an alternative to this. I would be the only supplier to these machines cause I personally would like to maintain 100% traceability. Heck if it came to it I'd throw my contact details on the machine and tell anyone that wants a tour to just give me a call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

No
    I saw this last time I went to visit my sister in June ! She's near enough to Roanne, didn't see the vending machine anywhere else in France (yet).
    I would.

It's not in the seller's interest to have people becoming sick after drinking the milk, so I think maintenance of the machine, and freshness of the product are probably paramount in the operation.

Not sure the market would be the same for it in Ireland though, since "proper", milk tasting milk, is available every where.
    I'm French but I have to agree, the French UHT milk tastes like bad water (just being polite here, but I have the Father Ted's UHT milk quote in mind ;) ), and the Fresher milk non UHTed is OK, but not as tasty as Irish milk. So people obviously look for the better stuff.

In Ireland our every day milk is so lovely, we're not as eager to look for "better" imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Ok ill give a bit of background - Im a farmer looking to be less dependant on the fluctuating milk price. Raw milk is a great product but im sure shops are not aloud stock it (open to correction) so its only aloud be sold from "farm gate or farmers market". Vending machines would be an alternative to this. I would be the only supplier to these machines cause I personally would like to maintain 100% traceability. Heck if it came to it I'd throw my contact details on the machine and tell anyone that wants a tour to just give me a call icon10.png

Not a good idea from a machine, if you put your contact details on the machine its not going to reassure people either. Vending machines are mostly used for processed non fresh food so I don't think this would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

No

If 80 year old big jugs are your thing fair fcuks to ya!:D

Ok ill give a bit of background - Im a farmer looking to be less dependant on the fluctuating milk price. Raw milk is a great product but im sure shops are not aloud stock it (open to correction) so its only aloud be sold from "farm gate or farmers market". Vending machines would be an alternative to this. I would be the only supplier to these machines cause I personally would like to maintain 100% traceability. Heck if it came to it I'd throw my contact details on the machine and tell anyone that wants a tour to just give me a call

I'm not sure it is 'illegal'. You may need to have a special permit in order to supply it to shops etc. There was some talk last year about making the sale of raw milk illegal but I don't think anything ever came of it.

I have no knowledge of how it all works but I'm guessing that at the moment anyway, it'd be easier to get whatever permissions are needed to sell to shops and at farmers markets than to begin selling it from vending machines.

If I'm mistaken and it is illegal then it's odd that I've seen it on sale in a few places. Hell, you can buy raw milk cheeses in all major supermarkets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

No
    Yep, grew up drinking the stuff, much nicer than the watered down crap

I'm not sure it is 'illegal'. You may need to have a special permit in order to supply it to shops etc. There was some talk last year about making the sale of raw milk illegal but I don't think anything ever came of it.

I have no knowledge of how it all works but I'm guessing that at the moment anyway, it'd be easier to get whatever permissions are needed to sell to shops and at farmers markets than to begin selling it from vending machines.

If I'm mistaken and it is illegal then it's odd that I've seen it on sale in a few places. Hell, you can buy raw milk cheeses in all major supermarkets!

I have found a website about the ban but not much on it imo. http://www.rawmilkireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Not sure about a machine but would have no problem with unpasturised milk. Lovely and creamy so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

No
    Patri wrote: »
    Definitely! For the cream at the top of the milk, you don't see that anymore! Anywhere you can buy it here?

the garage at the start of the railway walk in tinahely in wicklow sell it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Cuz you don't really know how long the milk has been sitting in there.

If you buy it from a farm or a local store that sources it straight from a farm or something you know its fresh n all.
    How do you know it's fresh? The farmer could be selling you anything it's not like he's regulated to sell to the general public. At least if it's coming from a company they more than likely go through stringent tests and have further tests of their own. The farmer could be keeping it in an old bucket out the shed that the cats been drinking out of.

Advertisement