Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Galway no more?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

The reason here seems to be, give the WTC €250,000 or don't get an event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

'Twas p11 that caught my eye....:rolleyes:

Only 20% off...... I prefer them to be 100% off ......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

d4r3n wrote: »
    The reason here seems to be, give the WTC €250,000 or don't get an event.

and they want Bord Failte to pay it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bambaata

'Twas p11 that caught my eye....:rolleyes:

Good reflective properties in that yellow jacket alright but id still recommend lights for the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

I think it's not going to happen - read below...

<<snip>>

Basically, they need €250K from state funding and only €65K is available or given in past years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Its a bit rich of WTC to tell a city how much it (the city) has to invest to attract people to an event in which they (WTC) rake up all the entry fees, control all the product sold at or inserted in goodie bags. Its a cash cow with all money flowing to WTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Its a bit rich of WTC to tell a city how much it (the city) has to invest to attract people to an event in which they (WTC) rake up all the entry fees, control all the product sold at or inserted in goodie bags. Its a cash cow with all money flowing to WTC.

People expect a certain standard from IM branded races... this is the best way to ensure it?

Besides, don't like the rules? Don't run an IM branded race.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Merged related posts from other thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

My understanding was WTC want 250K for the licence. They don't care where it comes from.

Honestly if the organisers want local government to cough up €125 per competitor so they can make a few bob then I hope that 2012 was the last year. If they cannot fund the licence booo hoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Need a new suit?

No, no, not at all! Badly need a new wonderbra and a new ballet(:confused:) also! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Just popped up on the Ironman Galway facebook page:
    Just to confirm that unfortunately we were unable to conclude our negotiations with the authorities in time to open the race for 2013. Ironman are fully committed to Galway and Ireland and intend to continue working with our partners to be back in 2014 with a bigger and better event and a model that will sustain the future of Ironman in Ireland. To all those who took part in 2011 and 2012 the 1,500 plus who had pre registered for 2013 we hope to see you in 2014 and thank you for your support. We intend to open the entry for 2014 well in advance so keep an eye out.
    No Ironman Galway for 2013 :(

Hope they do a Galway 70.3 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Just hope it doesn't make it harder to get into Lost Sheep:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Met one of the organisers yesterday - no chance of a Galway 70.3 but he seemed confident of an Ironman return in 2014. I still think they could get a decent crowd at one if they held an unbranded one at a 1/3rd of the present price.

People have times to beat now on that course unlike year 1 which wasn't the full distance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I think they'd struggle to get the road closures if it wasn't an Ironman event or an event with less than 1000 entrants. I think the calendar is quite full at this stage and I'm not sure there are any available weekends - haven't checked this to confirm. If they are getting the race back in 2014, then they'll be looking to keep their noses clean. Running a non Ironman race might not be seen as a good way of doing this to the corporate folks at Ironman. Then again they might not care at all.

Advertisement