Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3 Galway no more?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Response from Ironman Galway 70.3, just up on their facebook page.

Just to let you know we are currently working with the authorities to confirm the 2013 event so the event has currently not been included in the confirmed IRONMAN European Tour schedule released earlier today

All systems go by the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Response from Ironman Galway 70.3, just up on their facebook page.

Just to let you know we are currently working with the authorities to confirm the 2013 event so the event has currently not been included in the confirmed IRONMAN European Tour schedule released earlier today

All systems go by the sound of it.

Seems odd that WTC would say they have removed the race, if it was still being worked on...hopefully they get it resolved.

Seems very odd indeed but response from Galway seems to be definite enough.

Odd too re Regensburg:
    Together with the city of Regensburg, we tried to find a date that would suit our athletes, the local community and the WTC’s IRONMAN European Tour calendar. Unfortunately, a suitable date for 2013 could not be set,” said Kai Walter, WTC’s Managing Director, International Operations Europe and Managing Director Germany.

Wonder what the story is there, surely they could have agreed a date. Suspicious.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Antwerp too. That was a huge race. I wonder what is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Trigalway

If IM Galway 70.3 is gone, there is opportunity in Galway for a local branded event middle distance tri. In the UK The Outlaw (Nottingham), Forestman (New Forest) are more established than the m dot events, and the reviews for the Lost Sheep (middle distance) in Co.Kerry 2012 are as good as any event in Europe; the name of the event; TRIBE-MAN! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Trigalway wrote: »
    If IM Galway 70.3 is gone, there is opportunity in Galway for a local branded event middle distance tri. In the UK The Outlaw (Nottingham), Forestman (New Forest) are more established than the m dot events, and the reviews for the Lost Sheep (middle distance) in Co.Kerry 2012 are as good as any event in Europe; the name of the event; TRIBE-MAN! :)

that's a good name, if i could be so bold as to refine it a wee bit and say "tribesman"? how much of the crowd would have been at the event since it was a branded IM event would you say? not saying there would be anything wrong whatsoever with a smaller event but it might struggle to get the road closures, salthill etc which i'd say were tough to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Without the brand name there is zero chance of competing with the likes of the lost sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Trigalway

Promethius, 'Tribesman' is a superior label for a the replacement event, I commend your boldness; now the challenge is get another 1998 triathlethers involved, people like Tunney can be persuaded later.....in the meantime were going to need Ray Darcy and definately Keith Duffy and someone like Woody Harrielson (former Cheers) to back the event. Ray's radio show will drive hundreds West for the Tribesman, Keith will sustain the Charitiy numbers and relay; Keith is vital; as for Woody, he is the icing on the Tribesman cake -he brings intrigue and an appropriate face to the Tribesman brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Promethius, 'Tribesman' is a superior label for a the replacement event, I commend your boldness; now the challenge is get another 1998 triathlethers involved, people like Tunney can be persuaded later.....in the meantime were going to need Ray Darcy and definately Keith Duffy and someone like Woody Harrielson (former Cheers) to back the event. Ray's radio show will drive hundreds West for the Tribesman, Keith will sustain the Charitiy numbers and relay; Keith is vital; as for Woody, he is the icing on the Tribesman cake -he brings intrigue and an appropriate face to the Tribesman brand.

why thank you :-) i didn't say i was doing it so you're still looking for 1999 more triathletes!!!

good ideas above, also tell martin sheen there's been a recheck and he's got to resit one of his exams in nuig and get him to be the official starter and get his young fella to organise the afterparty. winning!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 scrawnybawny

Sign me up, Trigalway.
    we, the triathlon community, must try dissociate ourselves from the corporate world - triathlon is already losing its roots to the business world (we see people on the likes of 'Linkedin' using completion of Ironman events as a means of self-promotion and career advancement - they aren't doing tri for the love of the sport. Rather, they are doing it so they can tell people they are doing it)

tunney is right to a degree but we must vote with our feet and lobby the likes of Triathlon Ireland to get in behind the locally arranged triathlons.
    perhaps a rotational system of switching the event's location would help generate local interest each year. So we could alternate between Galway (tribesman), kilkenny (marble man) and waterford (crystal man) on a three yearly basis.

corporate M-dot ties and related paraphernalia are not what triathlon is all about and innovators like yourself must be listened to. the central ethos of the sport is being watered down by corporate involvement and we must stop its 'cheapening' to prevent it from becoming "all fur coat but no knickers".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 FJR

Ironman facebook page:
    It's official Here is the finalized Ironman Europe 2013 schedule.

Looks like Galway no more.

Why oh why did people think that there was demand for a 2000 person half ironman in ireland. That would require most of the active triathlon community to do it. And require a huge number of people wanting to "be an ironman" and do a half.

There just isn't the demand. People have said it from the start and this years numbers showed that.
    Sign me up, Trigalway.
    we, the triathlon community, must try dissociate ourselves from the corporate world - triathlon is already losing its roots to the business world (we see people on the likes of 'Linkedin' using completion of Ironman events as a means of self-promotion and career advancement - they aren't doing tri for the love of the sport. Rather, they are doing it so they can tell people they are doing it)

The triathlon community has supported smaller events, non WTC branded events. Look at Lost Sheep, Tri an Mhi, Ireman and so on, a good few number of half ironment events, in all honest, much better locations.
    tunney is right to a degree but we must vote with our feet and lobby the likes of Triathlon Ireland to get in behind the locally arranged triathlons.

you mean in the way they do with all the other fantastic races in Ireland? The fantastic races whos state goal is not making money. Thats what this venture was. Nothing else. This wasn't done for the love of the sport, this was done about 5 years too late and with bad figures to back it up I suspect.
    perhaps a rotational system of switching the event's location would help generate local interest each year. So we could alternate between Galway (tribesman), kilkenny (marble man) and waterford (crystal man) on a three yearly basis.

WTF? Sersiously WTF? Do you do the sport?
    corporate M-dot ties and related paraphernalia are not what triathlon is all about and innovators like yourself must be listened to. the central ethos of the sport is being watered down by corporate involvement and we must stop its 'cheapening' to prevent it from becoming "all fur coat but no knickers".

LOL. I really just wee'd myself a little laughing there. (Not with you by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 scrawnybawny

There just isn't the demand. People have said it from the start and this years numbers showed that
    - i'm sure you're right here -that's why i was suggesting rotating the location as many people are more inclined to sign up for an event when it's in their home town

The triathlon community has supported smaller events, non WTC branded events. Look at Lost Sheep, Tri an Mhi, Ireman and so on, a good few number of half ironment events, in all honest, much better locations
    .- yeah i think it's great that they do this but they should continue to do so with independent ventures that Trigalway is suggesting (and should encourage triathletes to do the same)

you mean in the way they do with all the other fantastic races in Ireland? The fantastic races whos state goal is not making money. That's what this venture was. Nothing else. This wasn't done for the love of the sport, this was done about 5 years too late and with bad figures to back it up I suspect
    .i suppose that's what i'm getting at - i hate to see people running to the branded events rather than supporting local, irish initiatives

LOL. I really just wee'd myself a little laughing there. (Not with you by the way)
    [/QUOTE] haha a saucer of milk? this was a bit of a tongue in cheek, anti-corporate rant in case you were taking it completely serious but to a degree, i do think some people sign up for the likes of Ironman and related 'cachet events' so they can tell other people they have done it.)or maybe i've just been exposed to the wrong type of people):(

- i'm sure you're right here -that's why i was suggesting rotating the location as many people are more inclined to sign up for an event when it's in their home town

You're very new to the sport aren't you?
    .- yeah i think it's great that they do this but they should continue to do so with independent ventures that Trigalway is suggesting (and should encourage triathletes to do the same)

Why? What makes this race special from all the other races?
    The fact it failed?
    .i suppose that's what i'm getting at - i hate to see people running to the branded events rather than supporting local, irish initiatives

I'll put this in caps for you so its clear.
    THERE IS NO DEMAND FOR A 2000 PERSON HALF-IRONMAN IN IRELAND.
    Want me to repeat it?

Ireland is the size of (if not smaller than) Greater Manchester so scope for pulling on the local non-triathlete population is limited.
    Firstly there is the "I am an ironman already why would I do another one" brigade. A huge draw in numbers in year one. They won't do another one.
    Then there is the sponsorship crowd. Yawn, thats not going to last as people become fatigued with "this AGAIN? I heard its only a half anyways"
    "But won't the local triathlete community support this local Irish venture???"
    Maybe IF the race was high quality and at a reasonable price. By all accounts this race was neither.

Also look at the numbers competing in Triathlon. While official TI members figures may be 4000 plus how many of those actually race - not all of them. I know I don't.

So its a very very limited catchment pool.

"But what about the overseas competitors?"
    a) People in Galway *tend* to overestimate the appeal of the region
    b) Transport - "but we have knock airport!!!"
    c) Cost - anecdotal evidence of local hoteliers gouging on prices (Killed the goose that laid the golden egg)
    d) Year one - that really killed it IMHO.

haha a saucer of milk? this was a bit of a tongue in cheek, anti-corporate rant in case you were taking it completely serious but to a degree, i do think some people sign up for the likes of Ironman and related 'cachet events' so they can tell other people they have done it.)or maybe i've just been exposed to the wrong type of people):(

I think you've been exposed to the wrong type of people.
    "Show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are"

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I dont think thats true. Not in my case, for certain.

I sign up for good events. Ones that have a track record of a class venue, well run, organisers who look after their athletes. Or have a challenging course. Not because they are local, or Guaranteed Oirish, or because Im a patriot. I've travelled to do IM branded events, to experience what they have to offer, but as tunney mentions, Ive scratched that itch, and dont feel the need to specifically do more IM brand events when there are plenty of other quality races out there. If I do choose another IM event, it is because of the qualities of that specific race, not its corporate identity.

Ive always felt there was a question mark over Galway, for many reasons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

haha a saucer of milk? this was a bit of a tongue in cheek, anti-corporate rant in case you were taking it completely serious but to a degree, i do think some people sign up for the likes of Ironman and related 'cachet events' so they can tell other people they have done it.)or maybe i've just been exposed to the wrong type of people):(

Oh, I thought your other post was a joke. You're serious about tribesman, crystalman etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Saw a comment on FB that it was going ahead. It just has to be agreed with Galway CC and Gardai etc so it is blank at the moment.
    I see Galway CC are ripping up the Moycullen road to improve the surface. The length of time it takes CC work it probably won't be ready until 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

triathlon is like everything else it's driven by supply and demand, 2000 triathletes for a half ironman every year is probably just not feasible in Ireland. Don't understand why people get a hang up about IM branded races, it's just another race and they exist because there is a demand - simple. The more variety and different types of races the better the ones that create demand will survive and the ones that don't will dissappear. Doing the same races year in year out would get very boring.

Austria 70.3 is on the same weekend now though. They don't do 2 in europe at the same time, do they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Not sure how it works RQ. Which are. You doing next year?

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Not sure how it works RQ. Which are. You doing next year?

With luck at least 2 of - Tri an Mhi/Humbert/Groomsport/Kenmare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

tunney wrote: »
    You're very new to the sport aren't you?

Why? What makes this race special from all the other races?
    The fact it failed?

I'll put this in caps for you so its clear.
    THERE IS NO DEMAND FOR A 2000 PERSON HALF-IRONMAN IN IRELAND.
    Want me to repeat it?

Ireland is the size of (if not smaller than) Greater Manchester so scope for pulling on the local non-triathlete population is limited.
    Firstly there is the "I am an ironman already why would I do another one" brigade. A huge draw in numbers in year one. They won't do another one.
    Then there is the sponsorship crowd. Yawn, thats not going to last as people become fatigued with "this AGAIN? I heard its only a half anyways"
    "But won't the local triathlete community support this local Irish venture???"
    Maybe IF the race was high quality and at a reasonable price. By all accounts this race was neither.

Also look at the numbers competing in Triathlon. While official TI members figures may be 4000 plus how many of those actually race - not all of them. I know I don't.

So its a very very limited catchment pool.

"But what about the overseas competitors?"
    a) People in Galway *tend* to overestimate the appeal of the region
    b) Transport - "but we have knock airport!!!"
    c) Cost - anecdotal evidence of local hoteliers gouging on prices (Killed the goose that laid the golden egg)
    d) Year one - that really killed it IMHO.

I think you've been exposed to the wrong type of people.
    "Show me your friends a friend and I'll tell you who you are"

Probably more realistic in your case.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Odd Antwerp was culled but, it did not have the same IM polish as St. Polten. It will do we'll as an independent race I think.

Rawhead wrote: »
    Probably more realistic in your case.....

Cutting, just cutting.

(Pity can't post in pink)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Saw a comment on FB that it was going ahead. It just has to be agreed with Galway CC and Gardai etc so it is blank at the moment.
    I see Galway CC are ripping up the Moycullen road to improve the surface. The length of time it takes CC work it probably won't be ready until 2014.

I'd say the authorities they are referring to are more likely the WTC authorities rather than the local authorities.

Its about time that road was resurfaced. Hopefully its done properly and not just some cut and patch repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

FJR wrote: »

Was reading an article in the Galway Advertiser (think that's the name) and the organisers were saying they were required to come up with more funding and were confident of doing so. But as they funding was not in place by the time the list was published, is the only reason it's not on the list. Page 10

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/launch.aspx?pbid=a2fc81f2-0ccf-4dbf-aca1-00bedf4bde35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

'Twas p11 that caught my eye....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

'Twas p11 that caught my eye....:rolleyes:

Need a new suit?

Advertisement