Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving on the Dock Road(outbound).

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I have read the thread,I understand it completely like I understand the ROTR.

Both of the lanes are there for a purpose, they're there to be used and for both lanes to merge. No one is "cutting" in.

Fair enough, perhaps I'll ask a different question in an attempt to make my point clear, I also understand the rules of the road and never at any point in this thread did I claim that anything illegal is going on.
    This is my understanding of the situation as somebody who travels on the road every day, rarely however at what is likely to be rush hour(between 5-630) I'd usually be on it a little earlier in the afternoon.

Why do the vast, vast majority of people wait in the left lane? They've been referred to as mugs and other things already here, I don't think thats the case. In my experience the backlog begins shortly after the smaller topaz garage, there is absolutely no danger of traffic being backed up to the bridge, only one car at a time can pass the second topaz, I really fail to see how people travelling on an empty lane and "merging" at the very end gets anyone except themselves home quicker, the facts as I see it is that they are inconveniencing and delaying every other user on that road, ie every driver that passes me on my right will be out the Dock road before me and I will be later/maybe miss the lights by a split second whatever, I have no doubt that the problem lies with the road layout, there may have been a need for a merge or whatever before the tunnel but now there just isn't the traffic.
    Most road users(though I accept I am in a minority on here) are like me and accept the situation, realise only one lane is needed(I can't think of another reason why both lanes aren't used equally) while others are oppurtunists.
    I genuinely believe it is a moral choice(a very small one obviously, there are more important things to worry about).
    Rather than another smartass reply could someone explain to me how nobody is inconvenienced in the situation I have described.

fl4pj4ck wrote: »

:eek:Those links have absolutely no relevance to the Dock Road, that is real traffic, c'mon now you are grasping at straws and going to a lot of trouble in the process :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Why do the vast, vast majority of people wait in the left lane? They've been referred to as mugs and other things already here, I don't think thats the case.

The vast majority of Irish drivers are bad drivers and don't know the rules of the road. Its only in the last few years that people have to actually do a theory test before getting a licence. There are thousands of drivers out there who got free licences in the late 70s without ever passing a test.
    In my experience the backlog begins shortly after the smaller topaz garage, there is absolutely no danger of traffic being backed up to the bridge, only one car at a time can pass the second topaz, I really fail to see how people travelling on an empty lane and "merging" at the very end gets anyone except themselves home quicker

According to google earth it is 500m from the Topaz to the merge and another 500m back to the RAB. Why on earth would you sit in traffic for 500m when there's a free lane that you are allowed to use? Getting home quicker is a perfectly good reason for using the lane.
    the facts as I see it is that they are inconveniencing and delaying every other user on that road, ie every driver that passes me on my right will be out the Dock road before me and I will be later/maybe miss the lights by a split second whatever, I have no doubt that the problem lies with the road layout, there may have been a need for a merge or whatever before the tunnel but now there just isn't the traffic.

This isn't fact, it's your opinion. Your bitter that other drivers are legally using a free lane to get themselves to their destination quicker. If people used the two lanes correctly and used the zipper method of merging then the traffic would move faster. That is a fact even if it is only 500m.
    Most road users(though I accept I am in a minority on here) are like me and accept the situation, realise only one lane is needed(I can't think of another reason why both lanes aren't used equally) while others are oppurtunists.
    I genuinely believe it is a moral choice(a very small one obviously, there are more important things to worry about).
    Rather than another smartass reply could someone explain to me how nobody is inconvenienced in the situation I have described.

Again I say that most Irish drivers don't know how to use the road correctly. The people on the outside aren't opportunists, they're people who know the rules of the road and don't want to be sitting in traffic.
    Also if only one lane was needed then there wouldn't be 2 lanes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

I'm inclined to side with the OP on this in light of the way the road is currently used.
    Ideally people would queue fully in both lanes and zipper at the end, for whatever reason people aren't inclined to queue in this manner. Perhaps signage could be added to encourage this?

Notwithstanding the additional buffer space that the two outbound lanes provide, I think that a single outbound lane would actually improve traffic flow vs the current situation.
    If the road was changed to have two inbound lanes and one outbound, this would IMO improve inbound traffic hugely due to the fact that the two lanes would have 3 lanes to choose from at the roundabout.
    I think that the improvement this would give inbound would outweigh anything that could be done outbound without major work. I think outbound is always going to be a disaster anyway while there are traffic lights along the dock road.

Slightly OT, a lot of additional traffic lights have been installed throughout the city over the past while, for example the replacement of the island road roundabout (near the Absolute Hotel) with a signal controlled interchange.
    While I'm sure they may have improved pedestrian safety etc, they have added new tailbacks that didn't exist previously and really slowed traffic flow both at peak and off peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Why do the vast, vast majority of people wait in the left lane? .

I really don't know why people wait in the left lane to be honest. I can never understand it. There are 2 lanes, perfectly adequate lanes put there for use, marked correctly, nothing ambigious about them- why would you not use them? If you were in supermarket would you just queue up at the longest checkout even though there is a checkout next to you empty even though at the front door of the shop you might have to merge to get out to the carpark? I don't see anything immoral about using the road correctly and indicating left into the merging traffic when instructed to do so by road signs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone think they should set up some traffic lights to let the people merge from the right lane to the left lane? Sure it wouldnt hurt to have another set of traffic lights on the dock road?!?

The vast majority of Irish drivers are bad drivers and don't know the rules of the road. Its only in the last few years that people have to actually do a theory test before getting a licence. There are thousands of drivers out there who got free licences in the late 70s without ever passing a test.

According to google earth it is 500m from the Topaz to the merge and another 500m back to the RAB. Why on earth would you sit in traffic for 500m when there's a free lane that you are allowed to use? Getting home quicker is a perfectly good reason for using the lane.

This isn't fact, it's your opinion. Your bitter that other drivers are legally using a free lane to get themselves to their destination quicker. If people used the two lanes correctly and used the zipper method of merging then the traffic would move faster. That is a fact even if it is only 500m.

Again I say that most Irish drivers don't know how to use the road correctly. The people on the outside aren't opportunists, they're people who know the rules of the road and don't want to be sitting in traffic.
    Also if only one lane was needed then there wouldn't be 2 lanes there.

I was going to leave it off but I can't leave that go unanswered, internet forums are very frustrating, it seems like nobody has read what I have been saying or else they see what they want to see, then ye all high 5 each other at ye're witticisms which do not deal with or provide an answer to the issue at hand.
    This talk of the zipper method seems to suggest that the Dock road is like an L.A freeway, it is not, there are not two equally busy lanes merging into one, anyone with eyes can see that, again, there is no need for two lanes, if you feel the need to talk of merging and zipping again please bear this in mind, the Dock road is not what this method was designed for and it is a very bad example, completely inappropriate. Same for wiki links dealing with late merge/early merge whatever, give google a break and deal with the issue.
    To say Irish people are bad drivers and in the next paragraph accuse me of not dealing with facts, give me a break, are you suggesting that they are a load of gormless idiots sitting in the left lane day after day oblivious of whats happening alongside them? If you got a licence in the late 70s chances are you are in your mid to late 50s, I find this generation to be some of the best drivers, statistics may or may not agree but that is my experience.

It is the third point where you say it is my opinion that I can't understand how any of ye cannot get it. It may not be a fact in the strictest sense of the word but please explain to me how it makes the traffic move quicker when it merges, one car still goes through at a time, if there was a single line of traffic then one car would go through at a time also, the line of traffic would extend back another few yards but nowhere near the bridge where it might cause an inconvenience.
    You accuse me of being bitter as if I couldn't do the same thing myself, I have said from the start that I know the law isn't being broken, I could steer my car into the right lane no problem, don't worry about that, I choose not to out of respect for other road users in that situation, perhaps because I am so familiar with it, clearly I am considered an idiot for doing so, hopefully this is my final input on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Had to thank your post as its a right hoot!! You think internet forums are the only thing that is frustrating???
    I was going to leave it off but I can't leave that go unanswered, internet forums are very frustrating, it seems like nobody has read what I have been saying or else they see what they want to see, then ye all high 5 each other at ye're witticisms which do not deal with or provide an answer to the issue at hand.

Everyone has read your OP - and its quite clear you think people that use the RHL are more important than you and that you feel that you would rather be nice and patiently sit in the LHL while blocking people from merging which is illegal.
    This talk of the zipper method seems to suggest that the Dock road is like an L.A freeway, it is not, there are not two equally busy lanes merging into one, anyone with eyes can see that, again, there is no need for two lanes, if you feel the need to talk of merging and zipping again please bear this in mind, the Dock road is not what this method was designed for and it is a very bad example, completely inappropriate. Same for wiki links dealing with late merge/early merge whatever, give google a break and deal with the issue.

The road design on the dock road as previous posters have said is exactly what is designed for; freeing up traffic from the shannon bridge roundabout and surrounding streets, creating a smoother traffic flow.
    To say Irish people are bad drivers and in the next paragraph accuse me of not dealing with facts, give me a break, are you suggesting that they are a load of gormless idiots sitting in the left lane day after day oblivious of whats happening alongside them? If you got a licence in the late 70s chances are you are in your mid to late 50s, I find this generation to be some of the best drivers, statistics may or may not agree but that is my experience.[\quote]

Some of these drivers are the worst on the roads and only hold a provisional licence!!

Mc Love wrote: »
    Had to thank your post as its a right hoot!! You think internet forums are the only thing that is frustrating???

Your first line sums up my point about forums, is that how you would carry on in real life, clearly playing to the gallery there, fair play to you tough guy:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

To say Irish people are bad drivers and in the next paragraph accuse me of not dealing with facts, give me a break, are you suggesting that they are a load of gormless idiots sitting in the left lane day after day oblivious of whats happening alongside them?

Yes that's exactly what I'm suggesting. Irish drivers are some of the worst drivers in western Europe. And I'm not claiming to be perfect myself as I'm also a product of a substandard driver training/test regime.
    It is the third point where you say it is my opinion that I can't understand how any of ye cannot get it. It may not be a fact in the strictest sense of the word but please explain to me how it makes the traffic move quicker when it merges, one car still goes through at a time, if there was a single line of traffic then one car would go through at a time also, the line of traffic would extend back another few yards but nowhere near the bridge where it might cause an inconvenience.
    You accuse me of being bitter as if I couldn't do the same thing myself, I have said from the start that I know the law isn't being broken, I could steer my car into the right lane no problem, don't worry about that, I choose not to out of respect for other road users in that situation, perhaps because I am so familiar with it, clearly I am considered an idiot for doing so, hopefully this is my final input on the matter.

I give up. Your refusing to listen to anything that anyone on the thread is saying to you because you see yourself as right and everyone else as wrong just because you feel that you are being slowed down by a few seconds :rolleyes: Well I'm not going to waste my time arguing with a brick wall any further.

• Advertisement

You are probably right. I'm like a dog with a bone. I'll have to leave it go.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You are probably right. I'm like a dog with a bone. I'll have to leave it go.

Excellent. I'll close this now then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement