Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weapons that have stoood the test of time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

In WW2 the US produced a sub-machine gun which was dubbed the Grease Gun because of it similarity to that device - apparently that was stll in use by tank crews in Desert Storm for defence if they were required to abandon the Abrams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

DonLimon wrote: »
    I once heard that during the Vietnam war the Vietcong used to track lines of US troops and pick them off with crosssbows. Sounds like just tall tale, but I'm certain they were used to some degree in that war.

Don't know if the VC used them,
    but, In the remote mountains and jungles of indochina there are tribal primitive populations distinct from the rest of the population called
    Montagnards (People from the mountain)

During the indo-china wars they often sided against the communists.
    Small teams of US special forces went into the mountains and trained and advised them and formed them into fighting units. there where expert hunters
    The Montagnards used their hunting crossbows and bows in combat as well as weapons given to them or captured
    Some small elements of these populations especially in Laos are still fighting communism to this day
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montagnard_%28Vietnam%29

This film examines how the Montagnards (a primitive tribe living in the Vietnamese central highlands) were trained by the U.S. to defend their territories against the Viet Cong. The film illustrates the methods used by Army Special Forces to win over these tribesmen to the South Vietnam cause.

US green berets inspecting a Montagnard crossbow in vietnam
    Tedder3.JPG

I wonder would the FN FAL count? First made in 1947, recently selected as a sniper support weapon for the Rangers.

FN-Fal01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Not just the rangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

The rock ?

• Advertisement

Not just the rangers.
    I stand corrected. Is there *still* a unit up in Donegal that drills with the FN? I heard there was some RDF units still doing that until recently.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    About the Bow and Arrow, although the design had changed the concept/shape is still in use today, I heard somewhere that some special forces groups have adopted it for quiet takedown's, stuff like that, can someone with more knowledge verify/expand on this?
    They could but may have to do a practical demonstration of 'silent kill'

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Tenger wrote: »
    They could but may have to do a practical demonstration of 'silent kill'

As long as its not me they demonstrate on, I could however nominate a few people...

I stand corrected. Is there *still* a unit up in Donegal that drills with the FN? I heard there was some RDF units still doing that until recently.

No. All rdf units converted to the Steyr in 2002. The FN is used as a Sniper team spotters rifle. It has also remained in use in the Naval Service for firing line throwing rockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

tac foley wrote: »
    BR = Brno
    EN = Enfield

It always caught my eye when it appeared in use by the Wehrmacht during WW2.

The German's used everyone's weapons one of the reasons they lost. Too many types of different weapons/ammo for the supply lines to handle.
    tac foley wrote: »
    What a fabulous gun it was, too. Accurate enough to be used as in
    the target marker role with tracer out to 600m...and THE definitive falling-plate killer.

tac

Watching too much TV, but wasn't that a flaw for a machine gun being too accurate? You fire off a few rounds and they all hit the same place/person, while most others machine guns that aren't as accurate hit more people.
    Delancey wrote: »
    In WW2 the US produced a sub-machine gun which was dubbed the Grease Gun because of it similarity to that device - apparently that was stll in use by tank crews in Desert Storm for defence if they were required to abandon the Abrams.

The M3

m3_gg3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

The Lee Enfield .303 is still in use in a few spots

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Lullymore24

Remington 870 shotgun, first manufactured in 1951, used today by the Irish Army Ranger Wing, among many other defence forces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_870

The Pump Action Shotgun was in Combat long before Remington brought out the 870.
    The Pump Action was in operation before & during The Great War as a Trench Clearer and Riot Gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The winchester trench Gun was in service thru WW 1 and even the Irish had it, in the early days of the Defence Forces.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Lullymore24

Stovepipe wrote: »
    The winchester trench Gun was in service thru WW 1 and even the Irish had it, in the early days of the Defence Forces.

regards
    Stovepipe

There was also a Browning Semi Auto Shotgun/Trench Gun around the same period or perhaps a few years later.
    I have a friend in the states that has a Pump in His collection, and I think he may also have a Semi wit bayonet
    Here is the Pump
    1897.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Beloved of anarchists, proto-revolutionaries and Soviet soldiers when attacking tanks.........

83018-molotov%20cocktail.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Just done a quick search and a form of hand grenade was used in the 10th century in Greece, stone and ceramic bowls which were later made of glass. These fire bombs could even be older and the idea spread accross the Middle East and on to China.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The B-52 bomber. The USAF reckons they have another 30-40+ years in them yet. When they type is finally phased out of service it will have served close to 100 years. Long range Tomahawk launcher for heavily defended targets, once the air threats are down they become an orbiting weapons supermarket. Troops can call down any combination of GPS, laser guided or WCMDs with bunker buster, standard or delayed warheads and fusing options day or night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

crossbow, more so than bow and arrow, as more practical

MG42/MG3, Only small changes from the original

I'll add the club to that (club/mace/riot baton) one of the simplest weapons

Jawgap wrote: »
    Beloved of anarchists, proto-revolutionaries and Soviet soldiers when attacking tanks.........

83018-molotov%20cocktail.jpg

Quite a more recent invention than one would expect. Finland, 1940 or thereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

The B-52 bomber. The USAF reckons they have another 30-40+ years in them yet. When they type is finally phased out of service it will have served close to 100 years. Long range Tomahawk launcher for heavily defended targets, once the air threats are down they become an orbiting weapons supermarket. Troops can call down any combination of GPS, laser guided or WCMDs with bunker buster, standard or delayed warheads and fusing options day or night.

Well, the thing about the B-52s is that you're not likely to find many parts on any Stratofortress that was there when it was built. The TLAM is even worse in that regard, in that the current generation shares nothing more than external dimensions with the originals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Merch wrote: »
    crossbow, more so than bow and arrow, as more practical

MG42/MG3, Only small changes from the original

I'll add the club to that (club/mace/riot baton) one of the simplest weapons

Seen a few pics of Israeli soldiers supplementing their gear with clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,348 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The B-52 has never had Tomahawks beyond the original selection stage. ALCM was selected instead.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Jawgap wrote: »
    In fact the name was coined by Finnish Soldiers in the Winter War of 1940, at that time Molotov was the Soviet Foreign Ambassador (and claimed that he Soviets were NOT bombing the Finns at that time).....so it was named after him.
    Similar improvised incendiary devices had been used in the Spanish Civil war against Soviet tanks.

Several sides in WW 2 used factory-manufactured incendiary bottles filled with,variously,petrol, engine oil, glue, sugar,diesel, kerosene, grease, industrial alcohol and incendiary material such as matches, phosphorus, black powder, flares, fireworks, shotgun cartridges and anything else that could be ignited and thrown.

regards
    Stovepipe

article-0-15800C66000005DC-680_634x386.jpg

The catapult

Determined: Free Syrian Army fighter use a jury-rigged catapult to fire homemade explosives at Assad's soldiers in the war-torn city of Aleppo.

article-0-15800C66000005DC-680_634x386.jpg

The catapult

Determined: Free Syrian Army fighter use a jury-rigged catapult to fire homemade explosives at Assad's soldiers in the war-torn city of Aleppo.

I'm thinking
    accuracy
    what happens if said explosive hops out?
    imaging getting a slap in the face of that elastic if it snapped :eek:

Merch wrote: »
    I'm thinking
    accuracy
    what happens if said explosive hops out?
    imaging getting a slap in the face of that elastic if it snapped :eek:

The ammunition appears to be on an small home made IED with a burning wire fuse There is a picture of the ammo at the link in post.
    There is a war of attrition going on now in Aleppo with both sides holding parts of the city and heavy casualties on both sides.

The ammunition appears to be on an small home made IED with a burning wire fuse There is a picture of the ammo at the link in post.
    There is a war of attrition going on now in Aleppo with both sides holding parts of the city and heavy casualties on both sides.

That looks like a weapon of indiscriminate terror (for civilians) at least if someone fired a mortar, they have a reasonable idea where it was going to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Old design new application !!
    whydave wrote: »

Ishmash states that the rifle will be available in two models: one for the domestic (Russian) market and one for export. The export version will have a “short barrel” and be chambered in 9×19. No additional information was provided on the domestic model.
    Read the original article here.Make sure you visit GunsHolstersAndGear.com for all of the latest gun news, reviews and SHOT Show coverage.
    11b5kqp.jpg
    zvzl2e.jpg

• Advertisement

It seems these days, that every possible variation of the AK can and will be made, as long as it retains the original rotating bolt and safety catch.
    regards
    Stovepipe

Advertisement