Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weapons that have stoood the test of time

Options
  • 04-10-2012 12:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭

Watching an episode of Lock and Load I have recorded on the digi box, R Lee Emery mentions the Browning .50 Machine gun. It was designed in 1918 and is still in use to this day. So it got me thinking, what other weapons have stood the test of time and are still in use today ?

.50 Browning
    320px-M2_-_24th_MEU.jpg
    Here's more on the .50 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_Browning_machine_gun

Another weapon to stand the test of time is the good old Bayonet from France which goes back to the 1600's. Wouldn't fancy thrusting it through another human all the same I have to confess, rather blow them up or shot them from a distance if i had to :eek: :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

One of my favourites has to be the bow and arrow. One weapon that will be in use for a long time yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

ShaunC wrote: »
    One of my favourites has to be the bow and arrow. One weapon that will be in use for a long time yet.
    Wouldn't think too many army's are using bows and arrows these days :) However on one episode of Lock and Load, they stated that a crossbow type device is still used to fire grappling hooks etc The hand grenade also has been around a long time, and then their is the Molotov cocktail developed by the resourceful Finns against the USSR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov_cocktail

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

The Colt M1911.

ANY bolt action based on the original Mauser design.

ANY sliding [vertical or horizontal] breech-loading artillery. Same goes for interrupted thread breech-block artillery.

ANY mortar - with the exception of the Russian 240mm mortar, they are all muzzleloaders - just like the very first 'gonnes'.

Just about any compressed air gun - as used by Austrian troops in the Napoleonic Wars, and by Lewis and Clark in their 1805 expedition.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

You talking about specific models?

If so the Colt 1911, massively popular and still in production to this day

The Bren gun mkIII i think it is, althought modified to chamber 7.62mm rounds is still in use with the British Army I think, someone please correct me if its been put out of service (the irish army still have Bren gun mkIII's unused, still in grease afaik)

The AK 47, timeless classic, being produced in wide numbers to this day

About the Bow and Arrow, although the design had changed the concept/shape is still in use today, I heard somewhere that some special forces groups have adopted it for quiet takedown's, stuff like that, can someone with more knowledge verify/expand on this?

If so the Colt 1911, massively popular and still in production to this day.

Yup - at least fifteen companies in USA are making a version of this venerable pistol. Might be making a comback, too, with US Navy SF.

The Bren gun mkIII i think it is, althought modified to chamber 7.62mm rounds is still in use with the British Army I think, someone please correct me if its been put out of service (the irish army still have Bren gun mkIII's unused, still in grease afaik)

The British Army used them in GW1 and then at the end of 1991, declared them all STR.

The AK 47, timeless classic, being produced in wide numbers to this day.

As is the successor - the AK74.

About the Bow and Arrow, although the design had changed the concept/shape is still in use today, I heard somewhere that some special forces groups have adopted it for quiet takedown's, stuff like that, can someone with more knowledge verify/expand on this?

There are, I'm told, some SF who use a compound crossbow pistol, as well as the compound Bow-Tech upper that fits on the issue M4. Brings a whole new meaning to the term 'a bolt from the blue...'

tac

• Advertisement

ShaunC wrote: »

Yup, the way the world is going, it might survive them all...

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Anything with a blade or an edge. A spear. Even a sling firing ball bearings is going to sting a bit if it catches you!

The Lee Enfield MkIV is still is regular use with the Canadian Rangers - because of its resilience in the Arctic environment.

gatling guns and rotary canon (M61 Vulcan) go back to the 1860s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

1050195-Royalty-Free-RF-Clip-Art-Illustration-Of-A-Black-And-White-Fist-Punching.jpg

The Mark 1 fist. The original and still the best

Jawgap wrote: »
    Anything with a blade or an edge. A spear. Even a sling firing ball bearings is going to sting a bit if it catches you!

The Lee Enfield MkIV is still is regular use with the Canadian Rangers - because of its resilience in the Arctic environment.

gatling guns and rotary canon (M61 Vulcan) go back to the 1860s

Good example there, with the Gatling gun.

As for the venerable Canadian Rangers use of the old No4 - all over bar the shouting this year, I'm afraid.

Please read -

OTTAWA - So the Canadian Rangers — the Arctic militia — are getting a new rifle to replace the iconic Lee-Enfield Mk4 that they've carried since they first stood up in 1947.
    According to the army, the supply of parts to repair or replace damaged or lost weapons is completely exhausted.
    Some will say it's about time. Others will lament the end of the Enfield era, which means saying goodbye to the century-old .303 British cartridge, too.
    The defence department and the Rangers themselves have agreed the new cartridge will be the .308 Winchester, one of the most popular big-game hunting cartridges in North America. It is also the standard 7.62 NATO military round used by the Canadian Forces.
    But first they must choose a replacement rifle for the venerable Lee-Enfield, which was designed in 1895, and that won't be easy.
    "Old it may be, but it's durable, accurate, reliable, and fast handling," said famed gun scribe Terry Wieland, who served in the Canadian Forces reserves. "The Lee-Enfield is one of the very best rifles ever developed for the joint-use as a military and hunting rifle the way it was employed by the Canadian Rangers."
    The government intends to buy 10,200 new Ranger rifles — whatever they may be — and has provided some details about what qualities the new Canadian Ranger Rifle must have, and the Rangers themselves weighed in during a series of workshops last summer.
    (The first of the new guns will be delivered by late fall 2013 or early winter 2014.)
    Among the requirements is that the gun have a "distinctive look" that instills pride in the Rangers and becomes a symbol of the Arctic militia. The government is also restricting the search to commercial-off-the-shelf offerings with only “minor customization."
    One option would be for the government to contract Colt Canada, the Canadian Forces' small arms manufacturer in Kitchener, Ont., to build a new generation of improved, modernized Lee-Enfields chambered in .308 Winchester, or buy Enfield replicas currently produced by an Australian firm. But concerns about quality, and the need for an off-the-shelf product rule both of these out.
    Another option still — proposed by this writer — would be the Ruger Gunsite Scout with a few notable modifications: a 20-inch barrel, and a light, durable fiberglass stock in army green with the Ranger emblem embedded in the buttstock.
    Whatever gun the government decides to buy for the Canadian Rangers, one thing is certain, it should be the best firearm available to them for the self-defence, military, and hunting applications they need it for.
    The Rangers are a proud symbol and integral part of a Canadian north strong and free. From search and rescue operations under the most hellish conditions, to patrolling and being a presence in the frozen Arctic and remote coastal regions, the Rangers deserve no less than the absolute best equipment money can buy … or build.

Bryn Weese

Coupla things here- having been there - THE definitive replacement would be, IMO and that of real experts, the US-made M-14. The Garand functioned like a watch in the Korean War, where climatic conditions were very much the same, ie, cold.

The 'Enfield replicas currently produced by an Australian firm' are now known to be mostly sh!te, and were made, not in Australia, but Viet Nam.

The four or five in our club here were all returned to the vendor as useless POS, and that's in OUR climate.
    tac

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

• Advertisement

Remington 870 shotgun, first manufactured in 1951, used today by the Irish Army Ranger Wing, among many other defence forces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_870

M72 LAW (light anti-tank weapon), rocket launcher.

The USA has been using this since the Vietnam War in the 1960's. Many other defence forces still use the M72LAW to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M72_LAW

Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    You talking about specific models?

If so the Colt 1911, massively popular and still in production to this day

Yeah, I thought about the Bren which I fired in me auld days in the FCA. Fnatastic weapon, according to this wiki it was in use by Ireland's RDF up to 2008 ? According to the wiki " The Bren is still sold by Indian Ordance Factories as the Gun, Machine 7.62mm 1B " http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/16.htm

Here's a proud member of the French Resistance posing with one -
    184px-Member_of_the_FFI.jpg
    The AK 47, timeless classic, being produced in wide numbers to this day

The good old AK47, nothing to beat, still around and will be so for a long time to come.

tac foley wrote: »
    Good example there, with the Gatling gun.

As for the venerable Canadian Rangers use of the old No4 - all over bar the shouting this year, I'm afraid.

Please read -

OTTAWA - So the Canadian Rangers — the Arctic militia — are getting a new rifle to replace the iconic Lee-Enfield Mk4 that they've carried since they first stood up in 1947.
    According to the army, the supply of parts to repair or replace damaged or lost weapons is completely exhausted.
    Some will say it's about time. Others will lament the end of the Enfield era, which means saying goodbye to the century-old .303 British cartridge, too.
    The defence department and the Rangers themselves have agreed the new cartridge will be the .308 Winchester, one of the most popular big-game hunting cartridges in North America. It is also the standard 7.62 NATO military round used by the Canadian Forces.
    But first they must choose a replacement rifle for the venerable Lee-Enfield, which was designed in 1895, and that won't be easy.
    "Old it may be, but it's durable, accurate, reliable, and fast handling," said famed gun scribe Terry Wieland, who served in the Canadian Forces reserves. "The Lee-Enfield is one of the very best rifles ever developed for the joint-use as a military and hunting rifle the way it was employed by the Canadian Rangers."
    The government intends to buy 10,200 new Ranger rifles — whatever they may be — and has provided some details about what qualities the new Canadian Ranger Rifle must have, and the Rangers themselves weighed in during a series of workshops last summer.
    (The first of the new guns will be delivered by late fall 2013 or early winter 2014.)
    Among the requirements is that the gun have a "distinctive look" that instills pride in the Rangers and becomes a symbol of the Arctic militia. The government is also restricting the search to commercial-off-the-shelf offerings with only “minor customization."
    One option would be for the government to contract Colt Canada, the Canadian Forces' small arms manufacturer in Kitchener, Ont., to build a new generation of improved, modernized Lee-Enfields chambered in .308 Winchester, or buy Enfield replicas currently produced by an Australian firm. But concerns about quality, and the need for an off-the-shelf product rule both of these out.
    Another option still — proposed by this writer — would be the Ruger Gunsite Scout with a few notable modifications: a 20-inch barrel, and a light, durable fiberglass stock in army green with the Ranger emblem embedded in the buttstock.
    Whatever gun the government decides to buy for the Canadian Rangers, one thing is certain, it should be the best firearm available to them for the self-defence, military, and hunting applications they need it for.
    The Rangers are a proud symbol and integral part of a Canadian north strong and free. From search and rescue operations under the most hellish conditions, to patrolling and being a presence in the frozen Arctic and remote coastal regions, the Rangers deserve no less than the absolute best equipment money can buy … or build.

Bryn Weese

Coupla things here- having been there - THE definitive replacement would be, IMO and that of real experts, the US-made M-14. The Garand functioned like a watch in the Korean War, where climatic conditions were very much the same, ie, cold.

The 'Enfield replicas currently produced by an Australian firm' are now known to be mostly sh!te, and were made, not in Australia, but Viet Nam.

The four or five in our club here were all returned to the vendor as useless POS, and that's in OUR climate.

tac
    Very interesting, I Googled and that article was written in October 2011, never thought that the old .303 would have been used by anyone except the possibility of some tribesmen in some mountains or the jungle or something. I also fired it in the FCA, incredible kick off it but deadly accurate, you could bring down an elephant with it.

Yeah, I thought about the Bren which I fired in me auld days in the FCA. Fnatastic weapon, according to this wiki it was in use by Ireland's RDF up to 2008 ? According to the wiki " The Bren is still sold by Indian Ordance Factories as the Gun, Machine 7.62mm 1B " http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/16.htm

It sure was, I remember being trained on it before the gpmg came about, lovely weapon, If my history is correct the Bren was first developed during WW1 where the brits used it, it was the bren mkII that was used in WW2 and the bren mkIII came out in the 50s?

The Irish army bought a load of bren mkIIIs, many to which were never used because they are not a NATO sanctioned weapon cos they use the old .303 Inch ammunition, which is why the brits modified/rechambered theres to fire 7.62mm which is NATO sanctioned... the Irish didn't instead getting the gpmg and the FCA/RDF got the bren guns, some still in the grease they left the factory in (Seen this first-hand). but it has since been decomissioned and replaced by the gpmg, I think they were sold to some mid-African countries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

whydave wrote: »
    d6c9455e.jpg
    Yerevan hosted a grandiose military parade dedicated to 20th anniversary of Armenia’s independence. The festive Republic Square gathered huge masses, greeting marching soldiers of Armenian, Artsakh and Russian armies. Armenia. 21st September 2011
    From here

It sure was, I remember being trained on it before the gpmg came about, lovely weapon, If my history is correct the Bren was first developed during WW1 where the brits used it, it was the bren mkII that was used in WW2 and the bren mkIII came out in the 50s?

The Irish army bought a load of bren mkIIIs, many to which were never used because they are not a NATO sanctioned weapon cos they use the old .303 Inch ammunition, which is why the brits modified/rechambered theres to fire 7.62mm which is NATO sanctioned... the Irish didn't instead getting the gpmg and the FCA/RDF got the bren guns, some still in the grease they left the factory in (Seen this first-hand). but it has since been decomissioned and replaced by the gpmg, I think they were sold to some mid-African countries
    According to this wiki, the Bren was developed in the 1930's no specific date http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bren_light_machine_gun Appearently it was based on the Czech ZB vz. 26 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZB_vz._26

BR = Brno
    EN = Enfield

It always caught my eye when it appeared in use by the Wehrmacht during WW2. Of course, it was originally designed to shoot a rimless cased cartridge, hence the straighter-looking magazine holding 32 rounds instead of the British rimmed .303.

Converting it to fire the then-new NATO cartridge in the late 50's restored the straighter magazine.

What a fabulous gun it was, too. Accurate enough to be used as in
    the target marker role with tracer out to 600m...and THE definitive falling-plate killer.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Bofors 40mm cannon- still in service nearly 80 years since it was introduced and probably one of the few weapons to be used by both Allies and Axis during WWII. Do the PDF still have some?

In some of the footage from Syria there seems to be a few vehicle mounted DShKs knocking about

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Teangalad

the bap?

any mortar...

submarine?

the tank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Some might not classify directly as a weapon but the B52 was introduced in 1955 and is planned to be kept in use till 2045, an amazing lifespan for a military plane. Brought death to many by this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

bat3.jpg

A truly timeless classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

I once heard that during the Vietnam war the Vietcong used to track lines of US troops and pick them off with crosssbows. Sounds like just tall tale, but I'm certain they were used to some degree in that war.

Barratt also got in trouble for selling crossbow to the Serbs during the 90s.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/1999/aug/09/balkans

The Mosin Nagant also deserves a mention, designed in 1891 and although replaced after WWII still in use by Russian police and special forces as a sniper rifle, as well as by paramilitaries in Chechnya and Afghanistan.

Teangalad wrote: »
    the bap?

any mortar...

submarine?

the tank?

The bap... how has that stood the test of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,560 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The bap... how has that stood the test of time?

Still in service with several armies which is an achievement given the variety of 9mm pistols nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭twinytwo

The Tomahawk is still issued to some units in the us army.

Teangalad wrote: »
    the bap?

any mortar...

submarine?

the tank?
    Yeah, I can see your point, but hasn't the tank and submarine been greatly changed and improved since their first use. Whereas if you take the AK47 or the .50 Browning, apart form a few small modifications, their still almost the exact today same as when they came out first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Intelligence

twinytwo wrote: »
    The Tomahawk is still issued to some units in the us army.

It seems you are not wrong!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90038&page=1

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    Still in service with several armies which is an achievement given the variety of 9mm pistols nowadays.

True I suppose, not a great firearm in my opinion (i've fired it on numerous ocassions). Only reason it remains in service even though browning don't make it anymore afaik is because people buy knock off parts from eastern europe where copies are made/sold to keeo the original ones going...

Advertisement