Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red-lipstick on a girl

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Then again - they do say if you do make up correctly then it should look like you are not wearing any at all. A claim that for some reason makes sense - and makes no sense - to me at the same time.

Well, make-up should even out blemishes but not change the tone of your skin. So, that is kinda what is meant by looking like you're not wearing make-up, your skin looks its natural colour but smoother.

leahyl wrote: »
    I prefer kind of coffee/dusky pink lipstick colours myself. Had a lipstick recently called 'latte' which I absolutely adored - really natural:)

I love wearing these colours too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

yawha wrote: »
    There have already been several men in this thread who have said they like this look. I don't think I agree at all that most men probably won't like anything a woman wears just because it happens to be consistent with a fashion trend. Also, "horrible" is not an objective term...
    My comment was not about the red lipstick look, but about women dressing to impress women. It was OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Only find it sexy on a blonde.

Maybe its from these two being the first women in my life...

tumblr_lo54t6NXDY1qhxmxb.jpg

esq-01-cameron-diaz-the-mask-011211-lg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I like it.. especially on women with red hair and pale skin

• Advertisement

It's interesting how much red lips and pale skin is being mentioned, because I personally only really like red lips with more tanned or olive skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Well, make-up should even out blemishes but not change the tone of your skin. So, that is kinda what is meant by looking like you're not wearing make-up, your skin looks its natural colour but smoother.
    Unfortunately, a lot of women seem to think their skin looks better orange. I don't understand why they don't match their foundation to their skin tone.

I think a lot of times when guys think they prefer girls without makeup, they really just prefer girls without obvious makeup

Perhaps some yes, just not me. I really do just prefer none, at all. I have seen everything from very little to lots on my gfs, done both by themselves, others and even professionals, and every time I simply preferred it without.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Unfortunately, a lot of women seem to think their skin looks better orange. I don't understand why they don't match their foundation to their skin tone.

Ever since I was young I have always found face make up seriously off putting and have avoided even the most attractive girls because of it. I hate kissing the cheek of a heavy make up lady and coming away with the taste and powder... and I don't like kissing the lips of a girl with heavy lipstick. I really don't know how other guys endure it.

As far as red lipstick goes, I find it is appealing only in photo situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I don't like lipstick at all (lips are naturally a nice colour) but I especially dislike red lipstick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

It's interesting how much red lips and pale skin is being mentioned, because I personally only really like red lips with more tanned or olive skin.

I have to agree. The Spanish women that wear it here look incredible. They can pull off anything, this lot...except blonde hair. I'm blonde and when I wear it I look like I've not bothered my hole to clean my face after a feast of strawberries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Personally I just prefer à natural beauty. Make up is NOT a turn on at all for me and can in some situations be a turn off. I just prefer girls the way they are. No revealing clothes, not heels, no make up and no lipstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I'm a big fan of red lipstick! Not just how it looks but the effect it can have on a girl as well. I wear red lipstick myself, I love it with my skin and hair colouring and it goes with my style (lots of polka dots etc) but I've also converted a lot of my friends to it, after putting some on them for nights out and seeing them get their swag on!
    Some girls, as already said feel like a clown in it but some just feel so sexy with red lipstick on, and at the end of the day isn't confidence the sexiest thing you can wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,417 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I prefer a woman who wears makeup and lipstick so I think it looks good on them.

I think a lot of times when guys think they prefer girls without makeup, they really just prefer girls without obvious makeup, and are judging what they perceive makeup to look like only by the cases where it's obvious makeup is being worn, and assuming that in all other cases that there is no makeup involved.

I do so love being condescended to.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

I like it, it makes the woman look dirty which is a good thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Perhaps some yes, just not me. I really do just prefer none, at all. I have seen everything from very little to lots on my gfs, done both by themselves, others and even professionals, and every time I simply preferred it without.

That's fair enough but without trying to generalise, I would say you are in the minority.

A LOT of men who say they prefer a girl who wears no makeup are the same guys who say "Hey are you ok, are you sick?" to a girl who they've seen with makeup on and then off, and when she's not wearing any they assume she looks 'sick'.

In my experience and in my opinion, most men who say they prefer the 'natural' look mean they prefer 'natural looking makeup' - as in no fake eyelashes, heavy eye make up, caked on foundation etc.

As for the topic, I think red lipstick on a woman can look fantastic if done correctly but I know for sure it wouldn't suit me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,417 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What are you talking about, no it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

What are you talking about, no it doesn't.

O yes it does, looks very dirty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

I really dislike red lipstick, I think it's just too obvious and overdone. I think subtle is sexier every time :)

• Advertisement

That's fair enough but without trying to generalise, I would say you are in the minority.

Hard to say really outside your own opinion on the matter. I have not really seen studies or anything on the subject. However it would not surprise me. I am seemingly in the minority on so many things you get used to it after awhile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

As a girl, I like red lipstick but only wear it occasionally or to match a red outfit or something. I find the colour a bit strong on me though love the colour. Pinks, nudes and more natural or strong/pale pinks/peach/browns suit me better.

I prefer lip-gloss to lipstick only wear lipstick the odd time. Don't always wear lippy anyway.

In terms of red lippy, subtle is better than too much of it. I think you can go a bit more full on and fuller for a lighter/pale colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Hard to say really outside your own opinion on the matter. I have not really seen studies or anything on the subject. However it would not surprise me. I am seemingly in the minority on so many things you get used to it after awhile :)

Of course. Just my opinion. I cannot say for sure but it's just from my own and other female friends experiences.

Also, being in the minority on a lot of things is not necessarily a bad thing believe me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭BadGirl

I love red lipstick and it's the colour I wear the most. Also, I don't give a toss whether other people like it or not, I like it so thats all that matters to me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

A LOT of men who say they prefer a girl who wears no makeup are the same guys who say "Hey are you ok, are you sick?" to a girl who they've seen with makeup on and then off, and when she's not wearing any they assume she looks 'sick'.

In my experience and in my opinion, most men who say they prefer the 'natural' look mean they prefer 'natural looking makeup' - as in no fake eyelashes, heavy eye make up, caked on foundation etc.

As for the topic, I think red lipstick on a woman can look fantastic if done correctly but I know for sure it wouldn't suit me anyway!

Point 1 illustrated nicely here:

270ul.png

B0jangles wrote: »
    Point 1 illustrated nicely here:

270ul.png

Wearing make-up makes someone less tired does it? I wouldn't know, just seems like an odd effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

It can be used to hide bags under your eyes, make your eyes appear wider, and make your face look less pale, so yes, it can make someone look less tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Wearing make-up makes someone less tired does it? I wouldn't know, just seems like an odd effect.

Not exactly; it's more that if you wear fairly naturalistic make-up everyday, people assume that is just how you look naturally. So if you leave it off for a day, they think you look terrible and there is something wrong with you.

For example, I normally wear a bit of fairly subdued make-up, but on one occasion I overslept and had to rush into work with my slap in a bag - intending to put it on when I got there. One of my colleagues met me before I had a chance to do so and immediately said "Are you alright? You look terrible."

She is not the most observant or tactful of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

^^I've had the same from my boss one day I had no make up on - and I don't even wear that much: foundation, subtle blush, mascara and a little eyeliner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement