Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Omniplex Drogheda

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Gaw_ wrote: »
    I just read there in the Drogheda Independent that the planning permission for the new Omniplex (in the Retail Park) was denied. I'm a bit disappointed :/

Ah, **** off. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gaw_

Ah, **** off. Why?

They thought it would detract people from going down the town, as they'd just go to the retail park instead. I suppose they are trying to minimize their losses in regards to the next Scotch Hall phase - if this cinema was built along with the cinema in Scotch Hall - there would be no point at all in bothering to go to Scotch Hall, as the one in the retail park would have been far better.

Surely that's the point of competition? Surely that would only be good for the consumer who has the choice of where to go, and as such, the cinemas in town have to provide a higher quality of service?

Really annoyed at that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

Ridiculous. They are making a mistake cause that would draw extra people from out of town. Cinema at sh will not. most people won't go near there even if they give out free popcorn! anything to avoid traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 15,979 ✭✭✭✭event

im from Dunleer. if i go to the cinema, I go to Dundalk because its a better one.
    Now if the one at the retail parks had opened in drogheda, that would have been my choice. No chance Ill go to one in SH, parking and getting to it will be a nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Yep, would have loved to see a premium quality screen like the Omniplex Maxx rather than more yet another shopping center attached movie hall, assuming that's what's planed for Scotch Hall. But if they put in an IMAX screen or something unique like that in Scotch Hall, that would really bring people in to town center from all over North East. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

positron wrote: »
    But if they put in an IMAX screen or something unique like that in Scotch Hall, that would really bring people in to town center from all over North East. Here's hoping.

Belfast doesnt have an imax yet and cineworld just opened their own but its scaled down.
    So I dont think drogheda will be likely to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

all we need is a few decent size screens and nice popcorn

Rossin wrote: »
    all we need is a few decent size screens and nice popcorn

And nachos. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,979 ✭✭✭✭event

saw WM cairns retweeting this earlier

A_sN7TcCUAA65GE.jpg

• Advertisement

CMpunked wrote: »
    Belfast doesnt have an imax yet and cineworld just opened their own but its scaled down.
    So I dont think drogheda will be likely to get one.

This is exactly why Drogheda should get an iMax or iSense screen - there has to be a stand out feature to attract the public, and your average shopping center movie halls would be no better than what we already have / what is going to be refurbished etc. People from Dundalk, north County Dublin, Meath etc wouldn't travel to Drogheda if it's just the basic set up which they all have near them as is. I hope they see the sense and plan it right.

event wrote: »

A_sN7TcCUAA65GE.jpg

Eye cinema? Thats a shame. :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

event wrote: »

A_sN7TcCUAA65GE.jpg

Lol, you could scratch out the 'Retail' part for a start. Not with so many empty in phase 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

whats an eye cinema?

Looking thru boards, Eye cinema in Galway (run by the same crowd) gets better reviews than Omniplex for cleanliness and ice cream, but not much else. Meh.

Rossin wrote: »
    whats an eye cinema?
    positron wrote: »
    Looking thru boards, Eye cinema in Galway (run by the same crowd) gets better reviews than Omniplex for cleanliness and ice cream, but not much else. Meh.

I was in it in Galway a few years back, thought it was a fine cinema. Grand feel, nice decor etc. The prices were quite high and nothing was really special about it.
    Would have loved to seen a bigger name (cineworld for example) in SH2, but I'm not complaining as we'll be spoilt for choice soon enough. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

It seems they have started the cinema in the town centre shopping centre, upstairs completely closed off and toilets relocated.

So we are going to have three (or is it four) cinemas without any standout features or anything special to their credit. This is not going to end well.. I predict at least one to be mothballed by 2015.

Three.

At least the ones in SH and the Town Center will have, in theory, a passing trade and other shops near them. Be amazed if the market one doesn't die...

...well, it already died. Maybe someone can burn the rotting corpse now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I read somehwere today (cant find link now) that planning permission has been granted for the new 6-10 screen cinema in the Retail park. Great news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Looks like this will finally happen lol.

Only took over 10 years. Its due to open in a few weeks according to security staff in Scotch hall.

I read Omniplex bought the entire Scotch Hall a few months back (https://www.irishtimes.com/property/commercial-property/2023/02/08/omniplex-group-pays-21m-for-scotch-hall-shopping-centre/) but assumed they will do up the unfinished building as a multplex... which hasn't happened so far.

PS: So they are building a multiplex in the existing Scotch Hall building. Fingers crossed it's nice. Their OmniPass looks like decent value if you watch a lot of movies.

Post edited by positron on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

I read on Facebook that the Scotch Hall Omniplex opens today. It's not on Omniplex's website, so can't see what's showing.

No doubt it'll be the same stuff as the other cinemas in the town - I hate the lack of variety.

It's on their website now.

I had quick look yesterday and the foyer looks lovely with floor to ceiling windows and space to hang out. I can not understand how they have managed to fit six screens into what looks like a smallish space, but it's definitely nice to have it in Scotch Hall - will be popular, especially in winter.

Advertisement