Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Omniplex Drogheda

Options
«13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino


    subject to planning permission .........;)


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly


    Great news, they seem serious enough and it will be in a perfect location to draw in a wide net along with keeping the traffic in check.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC


    Hopefully they don't let it turn into the kip they already have in Drogheda....


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron


    Great to see a bit of competition. That OMNIPLEX MAXX looks interesting. There's been a few films I'd have loved to have seen in large format but I'm to lazy to travel that far.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭gipi


    Sounds great - wonder if it's going to replace the car showroom in the retail park that's lying idle at the mo?

    What's the betting the retail park owners/landlords devise a method of car park charges if the cinema opens....?! (my naturally suspicious mind at work :) )


  • Advertisement
  • Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    You wait ages for one cinema, and three come along at once.

    Always the way (I see none of them actually happening, by the way).


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭event


    If they could actually show films during the day, that'd be great too


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184


    Where are the 3 cinemas planned for? This one in the retail park, the town centre and which is the 3rd?


  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin


    event wrote: »
    If they could actually show films during the day, that'd be great too

    or after 9.30 as well! even in dublin its rare


  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Dub in Louth


    There is one planned for scotch hall phase two. Nama are due to decide soon if they are going to invest €20 million into a scaled down phase 2 with cinema and food court.

    http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/local-notes/nama-may-fund-scotch-hall-work-3177148.html


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked


    Excellent!

    Fair play to omniplex, they know there's a need here and they aren't messing around. The big screen appeal will be massive and deservedly so. I had a watch of the dark knight rises on an IMAX screen in manchester and that was 29metres high so 23 high would be phenomenal to have it on our doorstep.

    And there is already tangible evidence this isn't a fad seeing as its been a success in antrim and cineworld in dublin has announced a return of imax.

    Driving to dublin, swords or balbriggan for a flick is second nature at this stage so i welcome 2, 3, 4 or even more cinemas into the town. Competition and choice is needed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow


    markc1184 wrote: »
    Where are the 3 cinemas planned for? This one in the retail park, the town centre and which is the 3rd?
    NAMA are supposed to spending money on finishing 2nd phase of Scotch Hall, cinema going there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak


    Ahhh... remember going to the auld Abbey Cinema... now there was a sh!thole!!
    Great news all the same, Drogheda badly needs a decent picturehouse :-)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy


    CMpunked wrote: »
    Excellent!

    Fair play to omniplex, they know there's a need here and they aren't messing around. The big screen appeal will be massive and deservedly so. I had a watch of the dark knight rises on an IMAX screen in manchester and that was 29metres high so 23 high would be phenomenal to have it on our doorstep.

    And there is already tangible evidence this isn't a fad seeing as its been a success in antrim and cineworld in dublin has announced a return of imax.

    Driving to dublin, swords or balbriggan for a flick is second nature at this stage so i welcome 2, 3, 4 or even more cinemas into the town. Competition and choice is needed.

    +1 Great news and long long overdue!!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs


    I see a few people asking where abouts it will be. Came across this today. http://www.omniplex.ie/cinema/promo/omniplex-group-announces-new-5.5m-digital-cinema-investment-in-drogheda-wit


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron


    Over the existing car parking spaces? Hmm I suppose there's plenty of parking elsewhere. I was expecting them to convert the old Opel showroom. But the retail park is a great location in any case. Great access from everywhere, and close to M1, plenty of parking - although not many places to eat other than KFC, which might change if this really happens.

    Fingers crossed this actually goes ahead. I don't go to movies all that often, but I would if one had a IMAX or that size screen.

    PS: I wonder if this is a strategic press release, just to deter NAMA from investing on the other one, which if goes ahead, would pretty much kill off Omniplex's current four screen cinema in town. Hmmmmm...


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked


    positron wrote: »
    Over the existing car parking spaces? Hmm I suppose there's plenty of parking elsewhere. I was expecting them to convert the old Opel showroom. But the retail park is a great location in any case. Great access from everywhere, and close to M1, plenty of parking - although not many places to eat other than KFC, which might change if this really happens.

    Fingers crossed this actually goes ahead. I don't go to movies all that often, but I would if one had a IMAX or that size screen.

    Costa do some nice food and an atmosphere a polar opposite to kfc.


  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs


    positron wrote: »
    Over the existing car parking spaces? Hmm I suppose there's plenty of parking elsewhere. I was expecting them to convert the old Opel showroom. But the retail park is a great location in any case. Great access from everywhere, and close to M1, plenty of parking - although not many places to eat other than KFC, which might change if this really happens.

    Fingers crossed this actually goes ahead. I don't go to movies all that often, but I would if one had a IMAX or that size screen.

    PS: I wonder if this is a strategic press release, just to deter NAMA from investing on the other one, which if goes ahead, would pretty much kill off Omniplex's current four screen cinema in town. Hmmmmm...
    There is a write up in this months Click magazine about the cinema and it says that they're keeping other one in the boyne center open.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron


    CMpunked wrote: »
    Costa do some nice food and an atmosphere a polar opposite to kfc.

    Of course, I forgot about them. Thanks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭gipi


    There is also the coffee shop/café in Tesco's car park (La Vida Moca?) which wouldn't be too far away from the proposed cinema location.

    Maybe there'll be a coffee shop/eatery in the new cinema itself?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino


    Existing cinema in boyne shopping centre.

    planning permission for the 2 nd phase of scotch hall features cinema inclusion.

    planning permission in drogheda town centre and building work commenced.

    and now planning sought for cinemas in the retail park :eek:

    shades of old , with permission granted for four shopping centres in drogheda and all half empty - bad planning if all three others go ahead me thinks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox


    gipi wrote: »
    There is also the coffee shop/café in Tesco's car park (La Vida Moca?)...

    Closed for a good few weeks now.

    CPL 593H



  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭gipi


    Thanks furiousox,

    Didn't know it was closed (it's a while since I was at that side of the car park).


  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Dub in Louth


    Omniplex would want to get a move on with their planning permission. Looks like the town centre cinema is full steam ahead with Odeon signing a lease to operate the cinema.

    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/1031/1224325931401.html


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked


    Omniplex would want to get a move on with their planning permission. Looks like the town centre cinema is full steam ahead with Odeon signing a lease to operate the cinema.

    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/1031/1224325931401.html

    Odeon?!

    SWEET! :D:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto


    Scotch hall phase 2 confirmed today. Work to commence in early 2013 and due to complete by late 2014.

    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1114/drogheda-shopping-centre-20m-expansion-approved-business.html


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino


    bloody disgrace , 5 half empty shopping centres in drogheda and now they are spending OUR money on phase 2


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox


    I thought the same initially, I mean what's the point of "Scotch Hall Phase 2" when "Scotch Hall Phase 1" is half empty?
    But according to the link above phase 2 is going to be the cinema plus food outlets, not retail.

    CPL 593H



  • Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron


    I think it would be nice thing - plenty of parking, decent location (okay, retail park would have been better, but this brings more people to closer to the heart of the town), and might save Scotch Hall over all - a bit like Pavilions Swords I suppose.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked


    furiousox wrote: »
    I thought the same initially, I mean what's the point of "Scotch Hall Phase 2" when "Scotch Hall Phase 1" is half empty?
    But according to the link above phase 2 is going to be the cinema plus food outlets, not retail.

    It will still have retail.


    Thing which I don't get is how empty will scotch hall part 1 be come late 2014?
    They better start putting the word out that they have dropped their rent prices or something soon and get a few high profile tenants that they've lost in the last few months/years.


Advertisement