Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ILoveLimerick.com what do you think of them this year?

Options
  • 02-10-2012 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

So last year their was a thread opened asking how people felt about ILoveLimerick.com. The thread was closed due to it getting personal and people flaming each other.

It seemed that half the crowd thought that they did a good job and half thought they didn't.

Without this turning into a personal attack thread again, what do people think of them this year?

Personally I feel not much has changed, it seems to be pretty much a mechanism of self promotion for those involved. Not so much helping Limerick but helping themselves. Ofcourse I am open to hearing the other side of the argument aswell, that is the whole point of this thread.

Here is a link to the old thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056415455

Again, please leave out the personal remarks. Don't get this thread locked like the last one!

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 40 soprano123

rubbish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

They are a jokeshop. The likes of Rich Anthon and CHL make my skin crawl, just get it over with and move to Dublin where your faux celebrity would be much more appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gflann

Is it just a self-promotion type organisation or have they contributed something significant to Limerick.
    Yer man Rich Anton, received the Limerick Person of the Year last year, and for the life of me, I couldn't understand how he got it....

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

I get a small bit sick into my mouth every time I hear any reference to that gang of eejits ...

It's embarrassing for Limerick really.

Give it up guys ... please ... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Right !! Watched it - sick now ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Promoting Limerick thru the medium of dance is all the rage:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gflann

Biting tongue, if I was wot write what i felt after watching that, the thread would be closed, and I would be banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's a nice idea and they do put a lot of effort into it but it's not exactly geared towards everyone, like ye I couldn't bring myself to watch most of it! Rich is nauseating and it's all dance/fashion/LGBT pride for the most part. It mostly ignores a part of the Limerick psyche that I'd be most interested in: sport!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

He should do one on the Limerick musicians on the scene currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

If you don't like it then don't watch or read it no one is forcing you to. I don't like rugby even though Limerick in the rugby central but amazingly enough I can avoid reading about it or watching it using my own will power.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

If you don't like it then don't watch or read it no one is forcing you to. I don't like rugby even though Limerick in the rugby central but amazingly enough I can avoid reading about it or watching it using my own will power.

And here come the rich anton defenders/cronies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Watching the recent episode of the Secret Millionaire in Limerick- Just made me think of this bullsh*t and the ridiculous 'person of the year award' received by Richard. How exactly do the ilovelimerick brigade 'promote' Limerick?? Have they made any national waves while doing so? What about community work within the city itself and helping the needy ?

It's alright to say don't read this and don't read that, but when you see his smug head plastered every where with the 'vogue strike as pose' pouty look, it makes my blood boil, particularly when you think of the genuine people out there doing good for their community and city at large but they cant buy a headline- if they so wished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

seachto7 wrote: »

The look on the faces of the two auld lads on the bench at 1:16 is hilarious. They probally only sat down for a rest while their wives were shopping. 5:11 they've taken all they can handle :)

Wouldn't be my cup of tea but can't see what harm they're doing either. If ye don't like what they're doing then don't watch it/read it etc.

LucyLouLou wrote: »
    The look on the faces of the two auld lads on the bench at 1:16 is hilarious. They probally only sat down for a rest while their wives were shopping. 5:11 they've taken all they can handle :)

Wouldn't be my cup of tea but can't see what harm they're doing either. If ye don't like what they're doing then don't watch it/read it etc.

As mentioned in my last post, it's a bit hard to avoid when it's splashed all over local newspapers and taking over shopping centres... And why should I not voice my disdain for something I dont like??

Melion wrote: »

And you decided this how?
    I just think it's logical if you don't like something then don't do it what's the point in slamming something you don't like, just makes you seem bitter.

And you decided this how?
    I just think it's logical if you don't like something then don't do it what's the point in slamming something you don't like, just makes you seem bitter.

Are you for real? People should not speak out against things they dont like is your stance?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

Vanolder wrote: »
    LucyLouLou wrote: »

As mentioned in my last post, it's a bit hard to avoid when it's splashed all over local newspapers and taking over shopping centres... And why should I not voice my disdain for something I dont like??

Life is too short to be getting upset and angry over some eejit thinking he is lady gaga dancing around a shopping centre.

Are you for real? People should not speak out against things they dont like is your stance?? :rolleyes:

Speaking out and slamming are two different things.

For the third time, my stance is if you don't like to read/watch something then don't read/watch it, no one is forcing you to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭eire_lad

looks to me like it just an excuse for the lads who run it to get their pictures in the paper. what they write isnt really worth reading - all self promotion to make some money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

eire_lad wrote: »
    looks to me like it just an excuse for the lads who run it to get their pictures in the paper. what they write isnt really worth reading - all self promotion to make some money

I have taken some pics for I Love Limerick in the past & I can tell you one thing and that is that NO ONE gets paid for anything got to do with I Love Limerick.

PS. I don't write for I Love Limerick, I have nothing got to do with there Website or Facebook page. I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing and I think Rich is a good guy once you get to know him. Everyone has a right to say what they want about I Love Limerick but don't judge it on a video of someone having a bit of a dance and some fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUOkCKOmeq4TAJv5JUq3CI-A&v=Q3HrkonfU-4&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Taken from an article on the Limerick Person of the year award: http://www.limerickleader.ie/lifestyle/excitement-mounts-ahead-of-limerick-person-of-the-year-event-1-3585393
    The idea behind the awards is to celebrate those who have excelled in a particular field or who have made a difference to the lives of others or their own communities

Out of the list of names that helped: Tina ' O Gorman raised a €1m for local charities. While:
    Richard Lynch, whose tireless efforts at promoting Limerick through his ILoveLimerick.com brand have helped to reclaim the region’s reputation

So, in general I would have no problem with Richard winning the award over Tina if he had actually done something to reclaim the reputation of Limerick. There is no point promoting Limerick to Limerick People, we already love our city. The dictionary defines "Promotion" thus:
    Noun: 1.Activity that supports the furtherance of a cause, venture, or aim.
    2.The publicization of a product, organization, or venture to increase sales or public awareness.

What has he done to raise awareness of Limerick to people outside Limerick? What cause or aim has he furthered?

If he could do this and actually raise national or internation awareness of Limerick then he really would deserve it. So far I havent seen it, however if he does manage to then fair play..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Here are a few key points from the OP:
    Limericks wrote: »
    Ofcourse I am open to hearing the other side of the argument aswell, that is the whole point of this thread.

Again, please leave out the personal remarks. Don't get this thread locked like the last one!

And within hours we have replies like this:
    Melion wrote: »

There are two or more sides to every argument. Deal with it. Next person to post in the same vein as the two examples above gets a short ban from the forum.

This forum had no problem with quite a few very nasty comments aimed at a city councillor last week, is he fair game for some reason while this other character from the Leader/Chronicle/every catfight in town is immune to criticism?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This forum had no problem with quite a few very nasty comments aimed at a city councillor last week, is he fair game for some reason while this other character from the Leader/Chronicle/every catfight in town is immune to criticism?

Nobody is immune to criticism. The above was a simple reminder that there will be posts from both sides of the divide in this thread. There is far more negative critique than positive already. I won't tolerate one side trying to belittle the other.

Neither will I tolerate mis-directed complaints like yours. Debate the topic at hand and we'll all be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

To answer the question posed by the OP. I don't think they have had any real impact outside of Limerick this year and even then it is within certain circles.

Their intentions may be good, but I really fail to see any real promotion of Limerick in terms of promoting that gets seen outside of Limerick to any great number of people and is quantifiable through results. It just comes across as a fairly amatuerish set up that talks itself up a lot. Then again, and in their defence somewhat, I don't think they have ever claimed to be a proper professional set up in any of their releases afaik.

What does amuse me at times is the list of titles that many involved seem to have. For example Ricard Lynch is listed as being a presents, a producer, songwriter and also as being an actor. Does he actually have an acting background or does being onstage or in videos for I love Limerick get used to excuse the actor title?

Someone also mentions that no money gets paid to anyone involved with I Love Limerick. Does that mean not one cent from their online shop (after taxes are paid) for example goes anywhere bar back into the site/promotion and not one individual at any level of involvement gets any kind of fee or wage?

Also does that mean all involvement with fashion promotions or appearances is done completely for free?

If the answer to my final two questions is that nobody has ever gotten any kind of fee, payment, or benefit through involement with I Love Limerick and that they now do all promotions etc totally free of charge, then my view of them will change a lot.

Nobody is immune to criticism. The above was a simple reminder that there will be posts from both sides of the divide in this thread. There is far more negative critique than positive already. I won't tolerate one side trying to belittle the other.

Neither will I tolerate mis-directed complaints like yours. Debate the topic at hand and we'll all be fine.

I'm in no position to debate the issue, I know nothing about the gentleman or his organisation, I've seen him splashed all over the newspapers but have never heard of anything that he has achieved, nor have I been lucky enough to meet him, just seemed to me that there was a double standard at operation, if the criticism is more negative than positive that must indicate something!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

really, the I love Limerick.com site should be changed to I love Richanton.com because that's whats its really about. actually has nothing to do with Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Beaver1 wrote: »
    really, the I love Limerick.com site should be changed to I love Richanton.com because that's whats its really about. actually has nothing to do with Limerick.

I thought Lynch was his surname not Anton? Have seen him go by Richard Lynch for some things and Richard Anton for other things alright. Maybe he has his own reasons for using different names for fdifferent things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement