Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&A Feedback

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

....... wrote: »
    I checked back through my private messages and I have exchanges with other posters, and with various moderators going back to January 2018 over this posters behaviour. Literally the same complaints from numerous people from numerous threads for almost 18 months now.

It's truly baffling.

It makes no sense. It's not like he contributes anything of value to the discussion.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Cabaal wrote: »
    for the sake of sanity we should all ignore him
    I'd certainly advise any poster who finds another poster frustrating not to bother interacting with him or her.
    eviltwin wrote: »
    So is the thread going to reopen so the adults can talk or is one posters messing going to be allowed shut it down indefinitely?
    The thread was shut down - as the (current) last post in the thread makes clear - to allow tempers to cool down and for cmods to review the thread.

Comments in this thread suggest that tempers are still frayed and, in any case, it's going to take some time for cmods to carry out the review which robarmstrong requested. No doubt, I'll be re-opened when that review is complete and any resulting recommended actions are carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

robindch wrote: »
    I'd certainly advise any poster who finds another poster frustrating not to bother interacting with him or her.The thread was shut down - as the (current) last post in the thread makes clear - to allow tempers to cool down and for cmods to review the thread.

Comments in this thread suggest that tempers are still frayed and, in any case, it's going to take some time for cmods to carry out the review which robarmstrong requested. No doubt, I'll be re-opened when that review is complete and any resulting recommended actions are carried out.

Anyone know how to put a mod on ignore using mobile? Asking for a friend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I agree that poster is irritating - but have to say ya'll are letting him make you play his gameplan.

I get that people are frustrated. I get that people feel threads get derailed (and they are!), but by participating in the derailment it trundles on and on.

What I am concerned about is the level of anger being directed at one mod.
    It's getting personal and, frankly, not something I want to be part of.
    That is not, for me, what A&A is about.
    We pride ourselves on being the rational ones but there is a distinct hint of pitchfork waving in the air.

That's just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I'm annoyed at mods in general, site wide, for allowing this person to ruin so many threads on the site.

It has to be asked, if numerous posters, across the site, who make good contributions and have generally clean records ALL point out the same set of issues OVER AND OVER AGAIN with just one poster, why is that continuously ignored?

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I agree that poster is irritating - but have to say ya'll are letting him make you play his gameplan.

I get that people are frustrated. I get that people feel threads get derailed (and they are!), but by participating in the derailment it trundles on and on.

What I am concerned about is the level of anger being directed at one mod.
    It's getting personal and, frankly, not something I want to be part of.
    That is not, for me, what A&A is about.
    We pride ourselves on being the rational ones but there is a distinct hint of pitchfork waving in the air.

That's just wrong.

Tha anger is not towards the mod 8ts towards the mods ridiculous hoop jumping exercise that he created for reporting a poster who consistently derail/kills threads.

And then when posters follow these silly rules and jump through the hoops they get told their reporting was basically overkill, the goalposts also got shifted to the point where more hoops were made for people to jump through.

After months of this ridIculous situation people are rightly angry anf that's why it has gotten to the point where c mods have been asked to step in because honestly if you read back the last few pages of the thread you will see how the moderation has been farcical to say the least.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Tha anger is not towards the mod 8ts towards the mods ridiculous hoop jumping exercise that he created for reporting a poster who consistently derail/kills threads.

And then when posters follow these silly rules and jump through the hoops they get told their reporting was basically overkill, the goalposts also got shifted to the point where more hoops were made for people to jump through.

After months of this ridIculous situation people are rightly angry anf that's why it has gotten to the point where c mods have been asked to step in because honestly if you read back the last few pages of the thread you will see how the moderation has been farcical to say the least.

I have been reading this thread. Which is why I commented that it seem to be getting personal in my, completely uninvested, in this opinion.

Red mists have descended,position are becoming entrenched on all sides and that is never a good way to have a rational discussion.

In the meantime - the sound of those who seek to sow discord chuckling over their success can be heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Stumbled upon this thread. Seems to be more than a hint of bullying going on. I've noticed it in a few threads, is this common on boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Stumbled upon this thread. Seems to be more than a hint of bullying going on. I've noticed it in a few threads, is this common on boards.ie?

bullying of who, exactly?

I have been reading this thread. Which is why I commented that it seem to be getting personal in my, completely uninvested, in this opinion.

Red mists have descended,position are becoming entrenched on all sides and that is never a good way to have a rational discussion.

In the meantime - the sound of those who seek to sow discord chuckling over their success can be heard.

It's not the mods fault, it's a certain poster. I'm not angry but I am frustrated that it's not addressed. It's a well established pattern now flagged by numerous people. Similar behavior on other forums is dealt with promptly and effectively, why not here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

generally no, this isn't very common all though it can happen a tad. most of us on here are civil and just get on with discussion. we can simply disagree with someone and that's it. sometimes discussion can become a bit robust but generally most remain civil as it should be.

sadly however there are a few who are unable to simply disagree with someone, and will do whatever they can to force out posters they disagree with. generally though the site is a good site and you should stick around.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

It's not the mods fault, it's a certain poster. I'm not angry but I am frustrated that it's not addressed. It's a well established pattern now flagged by numerous people. Similar behavior on other forums is dealt with promptly and effectively, why not here?

in fairness, there are a few posters causing problems. trying to take the thread off topic, or discuss moderation etc.

bullying of who, exactly?

It seems to be a mod and a poster. I don't know the ins and outs of it but it looks like they are being picked on!

It seems to be a mod and a poster. I don't know the ins and outs of it but it looks like they are being picked on!

if you think anybody is being picked on then you certainly dont know the ins and out of it. Probably best to only comment on things you understand.

if you think anybody is being picked on then you certainly dont know the ins and out of it. Probably best to only comment on things you understand.

It's message after message trying to get a poster banned. Why is that? You disagree with them? Seems like a group of people ganging up and bullying one poster. Obviously, the mod has looked at it and finds the poster has done no wrong. For this, the bullies are picking on the mod!
    Anyone know how to put a mod on ignore using mobile? Asking for a friend.

It's message after message trying to get a poster banned. Why is that? You disagree with them? Seems like a group of people ganging up and bullying one poster. Obviously, the mod has looked at it and finds the poster has done no wrong. For this, the bullies are picking on the mod!

You clearly have not got a clue about what has been happening.

I've read the last few pages of this thread, that's exactly what has been happening!

I've read the last few pages of this thread, that's exactly what has been happening!

Maybe you should start by reading the thread in question so you have a clue what this thread is about

to be fair he seems to have enough of a clue. he is entitled to his view either way surely?

to be fair he seems to have enough of a clue. he is entitled to his view.

and i am entitled to say that his view is based on ignorance.

• Advertisement

Maybe you should start by reading the thread in question so you have a clue what this thread is about

What has the poster done that is so bad? The mod doesn't feel they've done anything ban worthy. Can you tell me, do you disagree with the points they make or do you agree with them?

and i am entitled to say that his view is based on ignorance.

It's based on what I've read. And it looks like a group of bullies ganging up on people they disagree with. I hate bullies with a passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

to be fair he seems to have enough of a clue. he is entitled to his view either way surely?

He stumbled on this thread at 15:36.

Do you think he's read any of the threads you are involved in to get up to speed?

I suggest you read the past 18 months of the poster in questions history.

And all the feedback threads it has resulted in.

Come back and comment then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

It's based on what I've read. And it looks like a group of bullies ganging up on people they disagree with. I hate bullies with a passion.

And by your own admission you have read very little. For someone who just stumbled on this thread, you have been very quick to make your mind up.

+1

Objective number 2 achieved.

....... wrote: »
    I suggest you read the past 18 months of the poster in questions history.

And all the feedback threads it has resulted in.

Come back and comment then.

Obviously, I'm not going to do that. What does the poster do that's so bad? It should be easy to explain.

And therin lies your problem, yoi have read a few posts and made your decision, whereas this issue has been going on for several years now. That's why it seems the way it does to you because you are basing your opinion on a snippet of information. Its akin to reading one page of the Harry potter series and deciding you know the full story.

Obviously, I'm not going to do that. What does the poster do that's so bad? It should be easy to explain.

Sorry luv, the onus is on you to inform yourself, not on me to educate you.

• Advertisement

And by your own admission you have read very little. For someone who just stumbled on this thread, you have been very quick to make your mind up.

Read the last few pages! It's a pack of bullies. The poster and the mod are being targetted.

Advertisement