Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want kids "communed"? Have to go to mass yourself so

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

DazMarz wrote: »
    I spent every penny on Star Wars Micro Machines and bases. Epic...

Sounds like we had our communion around the same time :cool:
    Beruthiel wrote: »
    How would you police this?
    Would you be given an attendance card which would be stamped by the priest on the days you turn up?
    krudler wrote: »
    like a Starbucks card, every 10th communion wafer gets you a free one.

Card Carrying Catholics?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

pwurple wrote: »
    Private buildings (an NGO), with publicly funded teachers etc. As far as I know there is no barrier to creating more of these whatsoever.

I cant speak in general terms, but I'm pretty sure my local Educate Together building was funded by the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    ......would you do the same again?

On a related subject, it is arguably a positive discrimination towards our Eastern European communities, whose children are more likely to be catholic than the Irish kids. Sorry for dragging up a hornets nest; but hypothetically if you had lived in say Clontarf all your life, and your Polish neighbours who moved in 6 months see their kid being given a higher priority than your kid on the local schools waiting list because your kid wasnt baptised..........its not the neighbours fault, but its a really f**ked up situation.

It's a fecked up situation for sure, but I will not baptise his younger sibling just to get a place. In any case, we can probably now avail of the sibling priority part of the enrolment policy, if there is such a clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Would you be given an attendance card which would be stamped by the priest on the days you turn up?
    It's probably impossible in bigger parishes, but in a village, people know who does and doesn't go to mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

mikhail wrote: »
    It's probably impossible in bigger parishes, but in a village, people know who does and doesn't go to mass.

Yes, and the same people also know that those who DO go to mass, paid for the new church roof (literally paid - envelopes were posted to every house in the parish), and those that don't/do combined, paid for the refurbishment of the school.
    I'd say the church are barking up the wrong tree here in the shticks (boom boom!) anyway, when they start looking for more money.
    A bit off thread, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

A few things strike me with this. Firstly, prima facia- I've no issues.
    • How are they going to keep track of those attending or not.
    • How are they going to control parents' spending on outfits.
    • This comes across as a method to get more attendance, as parents will feel obliged to attend to ensure that their child gets their communion (and also that the child learns to be a sheep and do what everyone else does)
    • This could easily back-fire and reduce the attendance figures even more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Liamario wrote: »
    How are they going to keep track of those attending or not.
    Hand out receipts at communion?

robindch wrote: »
    Hand out receipts at communion?

Better still, a book that you can fill will gold stars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

When I worked in the USA there was a kid at the summer camp I was working in who was due to make her confirmation the following year (catholic). The church only allowed her to miss mass 3 times per year so a staff member had to bring her twice to the local catholic church. As proof of attendance she kept the little pamphlet thingy they give out that has the readings for the day on it with the date at the top. Presumably it'd be easy enough to keep a book at the back of the church that the family sign on their way out (priest watching observing would quickly enough get to know who's who) if the kid is in the communion/confirmation year and then something like the bring back a pamphlet system if you've been out of town and still made it to mass. Really don't see how it would be difficult to implement.

When I worked in the USA there was a kid at the summer camp I was working in who was due to make her confirmation the following year (catholic). The church only allowed her to miss mass 3 times per year so a staff member had to bring her twice to the local catholic church. As proof of attendance she kept the little pamphlet thingy they give out that has the readings for the day on it with the date at the top. Presumably it'd be easy enough to keep a book at the back of the church that the family sign on their way out (priest watching observing would quickly enough get to know who's who) if the kid is in the communion/confirmation year and then something like the bring back a pamphlet system if you've been out of town and still made it to mass. Really don't see how it would be difficult to implement.

Obviously not a problem for those who attend mass. But, I think the cultural catholics are going to find it difficult to attend mass so regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I know of parishes where there was a short 10-15 min, pre-mass communion preparation session in the church on the seats at the front. The parents and children are expected to be at that, the priest comes out and talks about the communion and basically takes attendance. Then those families have to stay for the mass as they are sitting right up front, the church is filling up for mass before this session is over and the priest will notice if they leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Other posters have brought this up... and I only now realised it and it totally pisses me off.

The amount of school time that is wasted preparing for this crap. Instead of actually learning, kids are wasting time preparing for these meaningless ceremonies. I remember in my school, one of my best friends was Protestant and he was literally sent out of the class while the rest of us learnt our lines!!! Didn't mean much to me back then, but now that I think back... what a crock.

I loved my primary school; it was a good, decent school. But there is too much emphasis on religion in it. And for kids who weren't Catholic (like my friend) they get excluded.

First Communion/Confirmation saps too much time from education. Schools should be totally secular, and if parents want their kids confirmed/communed, they have to sort it themselves and schools be left totally out of it. It's about damn time that the Department of Education keep the Roman Catholic Church out of schools. (<INSERT PAEDOPHILE JOKE HERE>)

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Excellent letter:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

I must have been naughty, I didn't get any money for my communion. :(

doctoremma wrote: »

YOU DIDN'T GET ANY MONEY!!!
    What's the point in going then?? You didn't think your soul was going to be saved did you?

Did you make your communion in the UK? Giving money isn't really the done thing over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wow. Maybe First Communion is a religious event where you're from, rather than the social version we have here...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

iguana wrote: »
    Did you make your communion in the UK? Giving money isn't really the done thing over here.
    I did mine in the UK, I think I got about 50 quid and a Big Mac Meal. :cool:

iguana wrote: »
    Yeah. Also, it was a shotgun communion, done in haste to get me into a good school.

Although it was attended by my Irish Nanny - would have thought she'd have chucked me a few quid.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    Wow. Maybe First Communion is a religious event where you're from, rather than the social version we have here...
    Yeah, it was definitely a deep declaration of mine and my family's commitment to the Catholic church.

And their schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

A few things strike me with this. Firstly, prima facia- I've no issues.
    • How are they going to keep track of those attending or not.
    • How are they going to control parents' spending on outfits.
    • This comes across as a method to get more attendance, as parents will feel obliged to attend to ensure that their child gets their communion (and also that the child learns to be a sheep and do what everyone else does)
    • This could easily back-fire and reduce the attendance figures even more.
    Easiest answer for this one is enforce a policy of school uniforms being worn on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Daemonic wrote: »
    Easiest answer for this one is enforce a policy of school uniforms being worn on the day.

That's certainly workable, but how do you stop them hiring limos, helicopters and other such extravagances?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Oh wow, you poor people :(

I got an Ultra Magnus for my communion, I played the life out of that toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Daemonic wrote: »

which would go against the idea that this isn't suposed to school driven thing anymore :/

Some churches have a sort of smock thing that the kids wear over their clothes for the ceremony in order to take the focus away from the clothes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

How are they going to control parents' spending on outfits.
    I suppose it's beyond the wit of these Titans to announce during mass, or at some point during the two and a half hours per week that the schools they control allocate to indoctrinating kids with their religious beliefs, that any kid not showing up in the family car and wearing their normal Sunday gear will be turned away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Galvasean wrote: »
    That's certainly workable, but how do you stop them hiring limos, helicopters and other such extravagances?
    Repaint all the parking spaces so only teeny cars fit and a no fly zone :D

On a more serious note, it would take some of the pressure off those who only spend a fortune on an outfit because it's the done thing.
    Robin's idea is a good one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Galvasean wrote: »

Priests on the roof with RPG's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Priests on the roof with RPG's.
    I would so watch that film!

Advertisement