Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wishing I could cast spells.

Options
  • 01-10-2012 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

I suspect this isn't the best or correct board for this thread, but it's the board I feel most comfortable on, and I really need to express what I currently feel, so I hope it's OK to post it here. Writing is my go-to thing when I'm swamped, as I currently am. Sickened, saddened and quite angry too.

Last weekend, a tiny stray cat with her young baby kitten ended up in my garden, so, I fed the (starving) mother cat, who in turn fed her hungry baby. Since then I've been keeping an eye out for the pair of them, to offer food when they're hungry.

This evening I found the kitten dead - burned to death - at a green space near my home. Some empty-hearted piece of scum tortured and killed this kitten. How the hell does someone do this? I don't know where to begin to try process this barbarism and what I found this evening.

I reported it to the police, who have said they'll report it to the DSPCA, and keep and eye on the area.

If I could cast spells, I'd make it so whoever did this has one of their eyeballs slowly eaten away by some kind of eyeball-eating worm. Only one eye, so they can see the cavity where their eye once was, for the rest of their useless days.

Usually I'm quite an understanding person, I try to make sense of the things I and other people might do, that aren't right or acceptable, or as kind as we know we should be; but today's discovery goes way beyond trying to understand or 'put myself in their shoes'. Today I just wish I could cast spells on people, only to be used in extreme circumstances, of course, such as this is.

It's not like I don't know terrible things happen - they do, and I know they do - but when I looked at that poor little kitten's charred remains, I felt so sickened and sad to have the evidence of the evil (sick, psychopathic, whatever it was that lives inside the person who did this) that slithers in close proximity to me.

I don't know what question to finish this outpouring with, I want to ask "who, how, why, what" and then "why" again, but I imagine nobody can give me those unfathomable answers.

I guess I want to be reminded the good outweighs the bad. But in the meantime, I'd love to be able to cast the eyeball eating spell on whoever did this.

There's my question. What spell would you cast, if you could cast one? What would you consider most fitting, to be a consequence for this act of barbarism? I rarely wish bad on anyone, but tonight I am using that rarely used wish of badness. If only I could cast spells.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Oh sweet mother of...

I honestly don't know what I'm feeling now after reading that. Angry, sickened, sad, incredibly pissed off, a horrible mix of 'em all.
    How can people do this to animals? :mad:

A spell? The same amount of pain they gave to that poor kitty to be visited on them a thousand times over during their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Oh sweet mother of...

I honestly don't know what I'm feeling now after reading that. Angry, sickened, sad, incredibly pissed off, a horrible mix of 'em all.
    How can people do this to animals? :mad:

A spell? The same amount of pain they gave to that poor kitty to be visited on them a thousand times over during their lives.

Thanks, KamiKaziKitten, I know it's unpleasant reading, and I am sorry to be offering such a sad collection of words for others to read. Thank you for your reply. It's not exactly the kind of thread that makes people want to respond, I know that. I had to express it though, it was churning around my insides, needing an outlet.

Thank you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    Thanks, KamiKaziKitten, I know it's unpleasant reading, and I am sorry to be offering such a sad collection of words for others to read. Thank you for your reply. It's not exactly the kind of thread that makes people want to respond to, I know that. I had to express it though, it was churning around my insides, needing an outlet.

Thank you. :)

Nah I think it's a good thing to let it out of you rather than bottle it up, ya know?
    And fair play to you for taking care of the two cats, there's many people who would just ignore them or (as you've seen :( ) try to hurt them!

For me anyway it was more difficult to articulate what I wanted to say rather than anything else, tomorrow I will probably have another 6 spells rattling around in my head...

For me anyway it was more difficult to articulate what I wanted to say rather than anything else, tomorrow I will probably have another 6 spells rattling around in my head...

I shall look forward to your spell suggestions tomorrow, the power of suggestion might just be on our side. Thanks again for responding, seeing my words stagnate in silence would have made matters worse. Your reply remains much appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I don't think it's possible to create spell to prevent it ever happening again to another animal. I do think you can ask the universe to sort out the person who did it so that they don't' do it again and get what help they need. Asking for a karmic reckoning as it were.

• Advertisement

Sharrow wrote: »
    I don't think it's possible to create spell to prevent it ever happening again to another animal. I do think you can ask the universe to sort out the person who did it so that they don't' do it again and get what help they need. Asking for a karmic reckoning as it were.

Thank you, Sharrow. I agree it's not possible to create a spell to prevent it happening again, to another animal, but I wish it were. Usually I'd be inclined to consider (at least, not flick away cynically) the idea that the universe may have the power to respond to a karmic request (and my spell element was a cartoonified version of that, to help me process, with words) to do some 'sorting out', but my often-blurred thoughts with regard to such a set-up took a battering tonight.

So, thank you, too, for your reply. You've offered a thread with which to try sew back together my hope my often-blurred thoughts on such a set-up. Words may often be useless, but tonight they're proving to be otherwise - thank you. :)

I tend to be very careful when wishing bad on other people. I don't know how anyone could possibly hurt another living thing like that. The poor kitten would certainly have suffered. But you just don't know who did it. A kid who gets abused at home? A child with mental illness? A child who was ordered to do it by bullies? It's a natural instinct to wish harm onto those who cause harm, but I just can't do that unless I know for sure the person deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Ugh, that's horrible Fizzlesque :(

In these situations, a part of me always wishes that somehow, someday the person who did this looks back and is truly horrified and regretful of their actions. The idea that someone can do this and never feel anything about it just gives me the shivers.

I tend to be very careful when wishing bad on other people. I don't know how anyone could possibly hurt another living thing like that. The poor kitten would certainly have suffered. But you just don't know who did it. A kid who gets abused at home? A child with mental illness? A child who was ordered to do it by bullies? It's a natural instinct to wish harm onto those who cause harm, but I just can't do that unless I know for sure the person deserves it.

You're right, I don't know who did it - or why. In the unlikely event it was a child with mental illness, or a child ordered to do it by bullies, I would not cast a spell (not that I can cast spells, but I'm using language to help me process this awful deed in my mind and feelings) however, knowing the area, and that spot in particular (a drinking spot, for some people, sometimes) and taking into consideration Halloween bangers and fireworks have been popping like champagne corks since late September, my gut just screams out to me that it doesn't fall into any of the categories you've outlined above.

Leaving my fantasy spell casting thoughts aside, I'd still be concerned about the fact someone did this. I was abused at home from the age of 5 till 11, not once did I harm any animals. The ability to harm an animal in this grotesque fashion is alarming, what's next? Will they graduate to hurting humans one day?

As I said in my opening post, I never wish bad on people - even the woman who made my life hell when I was a child gets good wishes (and lunch dates) and warm hugs from me today. I have a very forgiving heart, but to be able to do this to a tiny defenseless creature scares the hell out of me. I hope whoever it was is found, and the appropriate measures are taken to figure out if they were one of the people you've outlined above or someone with a black heart and a dangerous future in need of serious psychological help.
    Dolbert wrote: »
    Ugh, that's horrible Fizzlesque :(

In these situations, a part of me always wishes that somehow, someday the person who did this looks back and is truly horrified and regretful of their actions. The idea that someone can do this and never feel anything about it just gives me the shivers.

Same here, Dolbert. I sincerely hope whoever did it has a lightbulb moment (sooner rather than later) and their conscience kicks in (before my spells do - just kidding :)) and brings them full awareness of the horror of what they've done.

After reading the thread on AH about why Irish society hates cats - I've been shocked to see how much hatred some people have for them, makes me wonder how 'normalised' / 'borderline acceptable' such brutality might be in otherwise rational and caring people's minds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd be less considerate of that kinda thing than you Whoops. Outside of a genuine mental illness IMHO too many excuses are bandied about for this kinda behavior. There are many more people with such stresses who don't do this kinda thing. Again IMHO some people are just "evil" wastes of oxygen who I'd happily throw the switch on. Torturing animals for kicks would be among the best indicators of it. Incredibly common in the childhoods of serial killers and psychopaths.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Maybe the kitten was dead already. (I hope) if it wasn't then you have some young child psychopath experimenting living nearby.

I have always had cats, and the mother will sometimes kill or starve the kittens

You're right, I don't know who did it - or why. In the unlikely event it was a child with mental illness, or a child ordered to do it by bullies, I would not cast a spell (not that I can cast spells, but I'm using language to help me process this awful deed in my mind and feelings) however, knowing the area, and that spot in particular (a drinking spot, for some people, sometimes) and taking into consideration Halloween bangers and fireworks have been popping like champagne corks since late September, my gut just screams out to me that it doesn't fall into any of the categories you've outlined above.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd be less considerate of that kinda thing than you Whoops. Outside of a genuine mental illness IMHO too many excuses are bandied about for this kinda behavior. There are many more people with such stresses who don't do this kinda thing. Again IMHO some people are just "evil" wastes of oxygen who I'd happily throw the switch on. Torturing animals for kicks would be among the best indicators of it. Incredibly common in the childhoods of serial killers and psychopaths.

Oh I'm not considerate of the actual action, not in the slightest, if I indicated that then I apologise. It's more that I personally can't ever wish bad on anyone unless I know the whole story, it's something I am unable to do.

I find it really difficult to judge a situation unless I know absolute facts. That has come from life experience, from horrendous things that my family have endured and for the assumptions that could have been made without knowing the facts. My post was more general that about the specific situation described in the OP.

For example, I recently went to my GP and he was on hols, I posted on a thread about the doctor standing in for him being an absolute cow (based on previous experience). I then had to go back later and take my post back because she had been so lovely to me and I felt crap about it. Not the same thing, I know, but an example of how my negative thoughts have come back to bit me in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This thread reminded me of something that happened in my high school couple of years after my time there. Three kids were arrested for torturing and killing over 40 cats. They planed different ways to torture and kill them, documented the acts in diary and even filmed them. Boys were arrested, kicked out of the school and eventually had to do some community work. One of them later sued the state and the school for damages of couple of hundred thousand euros. I don't think he got anything.

The life for boys after it became public what they did was hell. There were protests in the school against them, their local community was extremely hostile and they were in the courts for years after it happened. Only one of them finished high school somewhere else. However boys were no victims, they were from middle class families (one of the parents was apparently a psychologist), living in nice middle class area, they attended one of the top schools in the country and had strong support of their families during the whole ordeal.

While I agree wishing harm or even causing harm to somebody you know nothing about could be counterproductive or even cruel, we do sometimes imagine that such cruel acts can be done only by damaged people, possibly from some deprived area. I don't support some kind vigilante actions towards perpetrator(s) but I also think there is a decent chance something like that was done by some spoiled brat(s) who has everything and was a bit bored one afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I can't understand the mentality of people who do things like that, it makes you scared for the future if they are able to just torture an animal to death today what will they be like in 5 or 10 years time.

I don't buy the excuse that it could be someone who is hurting themselves, short of a mental illness or someone holding a gun to your head you know that its wrong, no matter what stuff you are dealing with in your own life you don't do things like that.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't buy the excuse that it could be someone who is hurting themselves, short of a mental illness or someone holding a gun to your head you know that its wrong, no matter what stuff you are dealing with in your own life you don't do things like that.

It's not an excuse. It's absolutely wrong. I never said otherwise. It's the wishing the kind of horrendous pain as quoted below that I have issue with. It's a little disturbing if I'm honest and I'd want to be pretty damn sure that wishing something so horrible on someone was warranted.
    If I could cast spells, I'd make it so whoever did this has one of their eyeballs slowly eaten away by some kind of eyeball-eating worm. Only one eye, so they can see the cavity where their eye once was, for the rest of their useless days

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm generally uncomfortable with the concept of revenge fantasies. Sure I've had them myself, but I don't like them. It's a bit of a slippery slope for me.

I had my kittens murdered when I was a kid. The neighbours' grandchild put a crate on top of them and jumped on it. I wasn't there so didn't have to witness it. I hated her so much I felt sick for years when she was around. I wished so much ill upon her that I made myself ill. I even threw up a couple of times over it :eek: (I was eight).

I suppose what I'm saying is that outwardly directed hatred rarely leaves your body, it only hurts yourself.

If I had a short range wish granting wand today... I find it hard to think of small wishes, but a cuddle would be nice. Or a coffee bun.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    If I had a short range wish granting wand today... I find it hard to think of small wishes, but a cuddle would be nice. Or a coffee bun.

I think I'd grant myself Friday off work. And maybe a massage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Oh my god OP that is horrific, there are some scum ot there and these are the ones likely to get away with things, be the "big man" amongst their friends and live life to the full.
    It angers me so much to hear and read this sort of thing. Life is so unfair, today a friend of mine 39 years of age and a mother of 4 kids is being buried, having gone to bed and never woken up. Seeing the devastation last night at the funeral home and the photo of their kids and wedding photo on the coffin has broken my heart. Life is just so so unfair, not that I wish death on anyone but how can god or the universe allow things like this to happen, an innocent kitten, a loving wife, mum and friend to so many just be taken.
    Sorry for rant, but I am seriously pissed off with things this morning, I am sorry OP for the anguish you are going through, but we can only hope for karma to come back and deal with this/these individual(s).
    But I do know there is more good than evil out there. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Something similar happened here last year. Some kids from a housing estate took a cat and brutally murdered the poor thing. Ugh, I'm sick even thinking about it.

I'm a HUGE animal lover. To the point where I'm far better with animals than I am with people:pac:

However, I can't help thinking the same kind of thoughts as whoopsa. What, WHAT was running through those childrens minds to make them do something like that?

It's a barbaric act:( And I do think they should be punished. But not tortured.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

What an awful thing :(

I'm going to contradict myself here, saying I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around, meaning that I would never wish harm or pain on another person, if that makes sense!

The person who did this did a horrible thing, but its not up to me to wish revenge on them, as that makes me just as bad in my eyes.

And even if this person doesn't get caught and punished, they can't be living a very good or happy life I would assume, which is a punishment of sorts.

My wish would also be for cuddles :)

• Advertisement

It's not an excuse. It's absolutely wrong. I never said otherwise. It's the wishing the kind of horrendous pain as quoted below that I have issue with. It's a little disturbing if I'm honest and I'd want to be pretty damn sure that wishing something so horrible on someone was warranted.

Fair enough, Whoopsadaisydoodles. I can't really argue with your point because it's completely out of character for me to wish something so horrendous on someone, I was posting from a point of turmoil; I have two cats and they are (as most people's pets are) as important to me as people's children are to them. The idea that my cats are in that kind of danger brought out an extreme reaction in me. I accept my strong language was strong language - I wanted the perpetrator to experience the horror they made that tiny kitten endure. I was livid, and my angry language reflected that.

I'm struggling to be as generous of spirit as you are, to find a reason that could make what was done more 'understandable'. Animal cruelty is one thing that is guaranteed to bring out my darker side. It makes my blood boil.

As someone else said (I think it was Das Kitty) revenge fantasies aren't good, I accept that, if I thought my eyeball-eating revenge could actually happen, I wouldn't have posted it - it's difficult to see the charred remains of a tiny burned-alive kitten and not have negative emotions/reaction that conflict with one's usual 'non-disturbed' frame of mind - I find life on earth a challenge at the best of times (being an extremely sensitive and emotional person) stuff like this sends me close to the edge of despair.

I'm struggling to be as generous of spirit as you are, to find a reason that could make what was done more 'understandable'. Animal cruelty is one thing that is guaranteed to bring out my darker side. It makes my blood boil.

I completely understand your horror fizzlesque, and I did say in my first post that it was a natural instinct to wish harm on those who cause harm so I'm not judging you for that in any way. Though I admit I was a little shocked by the description of the torture being hypothetically 'cast'.

Just to clarify on the above though, I think I'm being misinterpreted and that's probably my own fault for the way I have phrased things. It's not that I'm reasoning the act as being more understandable - I'm looking at it from the opposite side, the side that would make me wish things upon someone else. Chances are it was some little <insert expletive here>, I'm just saying that unless I know that for fact, I cannot wish harm on them.

I completely understand your horror fizzlesque, and I did say in my first post that it was a natural instinct to wish harm on those who cause harm so I'm not judging you for that in any way. Though I admit I was a little shocked by the description of the torture being hypothetically 'cast'.

Sorry for shocking you, that was more to do with the writer in me than anything else - as I said in my OP, writing is my go-to thing when I'm hurt, need to deal with something [and when I'm happy, it's not all gruesome descriptions of things I couldn't actuall go through with if I discovered I did have the magic powers to make it happen].

To steal the words often used by a man who turns green: "don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry".

Only because I might just write some alarmingly visceral text to try and purge my mind, body and soul. Sometimes, words are all I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I would wish that they develop the realisation of the pain they've inflicted. I think if there is life after death, then hell is just people sitting around looking back at all of the nasty crap they've done in their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I have a beautiful cat at home and loved very dearly. The situation that the op discribed is disgusting. The way the cats life was taken is dispicable - a slow torturous painful death - all for what? For fun? Some body above mentioned - maybe it was kids, maybe kids with problems. Thats sh1te. I grew up and many people I'm sure reading this grew up without killing or torturing animals or others. Being a kid is no excuse for such treatment. Many kids no the difference between right and wrong. And if we did anything even remotely out of line, not even nearing on.burning animals, we would have felt the end of mom or dads boot up our backside.

You mentioned that you have an.issue with the op and her feelings and intentions. This is just my opinion but I believe that what the op wrote was just a group of words linked together to show her feelings and anger at the situation she came across and she has no desire to do or to see what she wrote however she would like to see justice.

On the issue of revenge, I don't believe in revenge. It solves nothing and makes whatever sort of conflict there is worse. But hurt someone, and do it out of badness and they're going to revolt back. It takes someone very strong, just to walk.

Karma is sh1te by the way. Maybe it exists but I don't know. You see my dad was an asshole growing up. And years and years later he is finding things though with some health and money problems but it's certainly not for him being an asshole all those years. It was something that came about anyways. Like a natural course of events. And certainly not enough for what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Animal cruelty is one thing that is guaranteed to bring out my darker side. It makes my blood boil.

I'm completely the same, and know many other people who are too. I never really understand it. I react more strongly to it than I do to stories of child cruelty, which makes no sense to me on an intellectual level.
    Absolutely horrible thing to have happened.

Oh my god OP that is horrific, there are some scum ot there and these are the ones likely to get away with things, be the "big man" amongst their friends and live life to the full.
    It angers me so much to hear and read this sort of thing. Life is so unfair, today a friend of mine 39 years of age and a mother of 4 kids is being buried, having gone to bed and never woken up. Seeing the devastation last night at the funeral home and the photo of their kids and wedding photo on the coffin has broken my heart. Life is just so so unfair, not that I wish death on anyone but how can god or the universe allow things like this to happen, an innocent kitten, a loving wife, mum and friend to so many just be taken.
    Sorry for rant, but I am seriously pissed off with things this morning, I am sorry OP for the anguish you are going through, but we can only hope for karma to come back and deal with this/these individual(s).
    But I do know there is more good than evil out there. :mad::mad::mad:

Thats it. Bad things happen to good people. Dying before her time and to someone good, with a yound family behind. Where as bad people live on forever tormenting everyone.

I wonder, does voodoo and witchcraft spells work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

The poor kitten! :( I can never comprehend why people abuse animals. I remember watching an animal recuse show a while back where a man had been kicking his German Shepard when he felt angry. God, the dog looked so innocent like it still trusted him after what he did to her/him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Uncharitable as it sounds I would inflict a similar punishment - I'm not interested in someone's circumstances.

I would cast a spell to engulf those responsible with flames, but not to kill them. Let them live their lives horribly disfigured and blind, in constant pain and misery.

They might not find their own actions so entertaining then.

Sorry this happened, Fizzlesque.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement