Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Khan v Carlos Molina

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Anyone watching the Groves Johnson fight Glen is one of the toughest men to ever lace up gloves, seriously how is the guy taking these shots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

anyone got a link for this fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Kahn tweeted tonight, the earliest he expects to come to the ring is 4.30 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

I think he might be in earlier i can't see to many of these undercards going the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

khan on points is my gut feeling for this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Yurt wrote: »
    I think he might be in earlier i can't see to many of these undercards going the distance.

Hope your right but these are his words.

Amir Khan ‏@AmirKingKhan Thanks every1 4 your support make sure you tune in on Showtime and Sky Sports1 earliest i will be in the ring is 8.30pm, Uk time 4.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Donaire will be on first

• Registered Users Posts: 32,922 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Khan has had things exactly his own way so far, bring on the inevitable KO to ruin it all.

Serious display from Khan, never even looked troubled. So much speed (as oke would expect) and much more disciplined than in previous fights.

Still alot more work to do before Khan can be comfortable getting in the ring against someone with the power to give him damage though, but with Khan's exciting style it's hard to not want to see him in the big box office fights rather than some of boxings household names at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Done nothing wrong hand speed and footwork was slick as usual but seriously molina was a bum offered absolutely nothing learned nothing knew there except khan still has 2 arms and 2 legs since last seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Sky Sports commentary - "This is probably the best performance I've seen from Khan". Talk about building the hype machine back up. This is the guy who beat Marcos Maidana in a war and put down Zab Judah with a body shot, yet somehow beating a distinctly average guy is his best performance... Ah now.

And I quite like Khan. Used to anyway, when he was on top of his game.

Sky Sports commentary - "This is probably the best performance I've seen from Khan". Talk about building the hype machine back up. This is the guy who beat Marcos Maidana in a war and put down Zab Judah with a body shot, yet somehow beating a distinctly average guy is his best performance... Ah now.

And I quite like Khan. Used to anyway, when he was on top of his game.
    To be fair, Khan would have dealt with both Peterson and Garcia with ease if he'd put in that performance.

In terms, of what Khan did himself I think that's as good as I've seen him, but he will obviously to have to fight someone alot better to see how much of that was about Khan and how much was about Molina.

CSF wrote: »
    To be fair, Khan would have dealt with both Peterson and Garcia with ease if he'd put in that performance.

In terms, of what Khan did himself I think that's as good as I've seen him, but he will obviously to have to fight someone alot better to see how much of that was about Khan and how much was about Molina.

Molina will never amount to anything shocking boxer freddie flintoff would beat him ffs one dimentionel coming forward no power no speed just a good attitude,khans next fight will tell the real story love watching him for his hand speed and potential glass chin.

SRFC wrote: »

Molina will never amount to anything shocking boxer freddie flintoff would beat him ffs one dimentionel coming forward no power no speed just a good attitude,khans next fight will tell the real story love watching him for his hand speed and potential glass chin.
    My point is more about Khan than Molina. Tonight Khan did what he needed to make sure of the fight against someone who he is classes above, and if he had done the same against Peterson and Garcia (both of whom Khan should have been able to beat with his far superior natural ability) he wouldn't have been near the same ring as Molina.

Khan will obviously have to go on from here and beat some far more credible fighters than Molina, to be even dreaming about the big box office fights he had been distracted by around the time of the Peterson and Garcia fights, but if Khan can (and that's a big enough if) continue to fight as patiently and disciplined as he did tonight, there's no reason he can't make it back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Molina offered nothing which wasn't at all surprising, i mean they were never going to risk Khan losing a third fight in a row.

As for the fight? Proved nothing IMO, sure he was lighting quick, more disciplined but lets be honest that was down to the ability (or lack of) of Molina.

As usual the commentators were trying to start up the Khan hype machine but he'll be back picking himself up off the canvas again in no time, i assure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

A winning Amir Khan is good for both Light Welter & Welterweight Divisions. Great fights out there that can hopefully be made.

I reckon he will fight in March & should both he n Garcia win their fights a rematch is inevitable. Money talks & it would be a big selling fight in the US.

Garcia fights Zab Judah in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Fight on Sky Sport 3 now for anyone who didnt stay up last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Khan completely dominated this one ,and as a joint promoter of this bill why would'nt he

• Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'm watching now. Bit of a mismatch. Khan much bigger. Khan sure is being given the chance to throw his shots. I see a much better shot variation. The speed is off the charts. I can't recall seeing a faster puncher in combinations. I

I'm a little bored now. Great show from Khan, but after 8 rds I am getting a wee bit bored with this one way traffic. I won't take too much from this until Khan meets a proper LWW/WW fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Let's have Garcia-Khan II in early 2013. I don't want to see another pissy warm up/mismatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Very average opponent for Khan, he was well expected to win this. Anyone see a reason why khan wouldn't/couldn't have fought like this under roach? any of the boxing brains in here notice any substantial difference in his performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Had a look there, easy to say Khan was impressive but this was a mis match, and was done so to get him back winning. No way would they have put him in there against someone with bigger credentials.

Hope him and Garcia go at it again, I had him winning in that before he got leathered.

weemcd wrote: »
    Very average opponent for Khan, he was well expected to win this. Anyone see a reason why khan wouldn't/couldn't have fought like this under roach? any of the boxing brains in here notice any substantial difference in his performance?
    Just an increased focus and concentration. Probably to be credited to Virgil's training. That last night was the fight Peterson and Garcia should have been only for Khan's idiocy.

Will be shocked if Khan doesn't come on from this and put Garcia away

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

Yeah not much to be gleaned from this fight as everyone has mentioned.
    The only possible difference seemed to be that when an open exchange looked like it might happen Khan seemed to think better of it and step away. Not sure if this was an in-built decision or whether it was Hunter screaming it at him continuously from the corner, as the commentators mentioned he didn't stop talking.
    He is still quite open at times and looks vulnerable to overhand/wide shots. From a Khan perspective I would have liked to see him throw more body shots.

Still, he's only been a short time with Hunter and with more time to learn and an opponent that will make him more pressured we will see if he has truly changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Would there be any chance of Kahn v Mayweather down the line ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The only fight I want to see Khan take is Matthyse, chances of that happening are slim however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

weemcd wrote: »
    Anyone see a reason why khan wouldn't/couldn't have fought like this under roach? any of the boxing brains in here notice any substantial difference in his performance?

its easier to fight like that against opponents like Molina - not an opponent Freddie would have chosen IMO, would have been more likely to make him fight a more quality opponent and prove himself - if he fights Garcia again then the outcome will be the same regardless of who is training him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

I reckon Khan's perfect matchup for next fight would be a rematch with Paulie Malignaggi - couldnt see Paulie accepting it though

john47832 wrote: »
    I reckon Khan's perfect matchup for next fight would be a rematch with Paulie Malignaggi - couldnt see Paulie accepting it though

Pauli was on tele last night saying he would love a rematch but khan has to go up to 147,reckons he will after he fights Garcia again at 140.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ghost.

Khan looked very impressive but the fight is a bit of a mismatch. I wouldnt take too much out of his performances until he fights someone of better quality.
    He has great skill and speed, it was a exhibition of his boxing nothing more. No matter who trains him he will always be prone to being KOs. Its a shame really. So Garcia ll there is a good chance it would end up the same way if he gets tagged no matter what game plan he follows.

Advertisement