Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Khan v Carlos Molina

Options
  • 29-09-2012 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

I initially thought it was Light Middleweight Carlos Molina but turns out it's the Lightweight version of the many Molina's.
    http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=394398&cat=boxer

Looks like an appropriate choice given that he's only knocked out 7 of his 18 opponents at the lower weight. It probably won't tell us a great deal about Khan and his work with Virgil Hunter but it should help him get at least a little bit of confidence back.

I hope Khan does get back into the big fights. People would have very little to talk about in boxing forums if they weren't getting all hot and bothered about Amir Khan :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

el flaco wrote: »
    I initially thought it was Light Middleweight Carlos Molina but turns out it's the Lightweight version of the many Molina's.
    http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=394398&cat=boxer

Looks like an appropriate choice given that he's only knocked out 7 of his 18 opponents at the lower weight. It probably won't tell us a great deal about Khan and his work with Virgil Hunter but it should help him get at least a little bit of confidence back.

I hope Khan does get back into the big fights. People would have very little to talk about in boxing forums if they weren't getting all hot and bothered about Amir Khan :)

I think this is Khan's last chance. Two bad KOs already now. I will watch Khan, as I find him exciting, and his vulnerability adds to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

i only read sth this morning about khan mccloskey 2. here's one link http://www.eastsideboxing.com/2012/khan-and-mccloskey-in-talks-for-rematch-in-december/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Sooo Khan wouldn't fight Guzman; an undefeated fighter with 35 bouts under his belt because he's "not on his level",but he'll fight this guy who's 17-0-1 and fought absolutely nobody of note? Ok Amir...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

it looks like Dean Powell must be making Khans fights again :D

a mickey mouse fight, for a mickey mouse fighter. I for one wont be watching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Khans taking no chances here another KO against him and he is gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gaybeer

What did everyone expect? The Khan hate on here colors everyones opinion on everything to do with him. No big name/money fighter would come back from a heavy KO loss against a huge puncher! He has however taken a fight against what looks to be a live opponent! Danny Garcia had a similiar resume coming into the Khan fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I'd say Khan will take this one, and then his mouth can run again.

If he does lose though, then I think that is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/amir-khan/9597469/Virgil-Hunter-reveals-strategy-to-make-Amir-Khan-the-complete-fighter.html
    “He has tremendous physical attributes. I expect him to pick up on things quickly. The physical part is not a worry. He needs to mentally grasp what is being instilled. The rest won’t be a problem once he mentally grasps it. If he is subjected to a programme, to a training atmosphere that challenges him, he’ll respond in a positive way.”

Good article there with a few words from Hunter, seems he knows from the out this is a mental thing and getting Khan to listen and take on board what he is told is key.

He also says in the interview it is too late to teach Khan how to slip punches so don't expect any RJJ-esque weaving from Amir :cool:

I'll be quite interested to see the differences (if any) Khan brings to this fight, this probably won't be apparent until he deals with a big pressure fighter who bangs though. Khan is very skilled, I enjoy watching him when he fights to his strengths, he will not fool me or anyone else in a slugfest however, there will only be one outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Hunter is a great character and one of the most interesting guys to listen to in all of sport. About as different to Khan as you can get.

Will be interesting to see if he can have a real impact on a guy away from his protégé.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Khan should win this and sets up interesting fights for next year.

Khan/Brook/Hatton could all face each other.

The fights will sell big time with the help of sky sports.

Might not be the best of fights but the build ups will be exciting and they will make a lot of money out of them

• Advertisement

This weekend isn't it? I still think Khan has this but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Molina caught him.

With Khan's punch resistance then anyone who has a half decent clout can end him. Hope that Khan wins, and wins well.

Gintonious wrote: »
    This weekend isn't it? .

SS1 at 0200 hrs

walshb wrote: »
    SS1 at 0200 hrs

Excellent. Molina with 7 knockouts, with Khan and his suspect chin, interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Khan will destroy Molina.

Roll on Khan-Garcia II. Would love to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭el flaco

Khan's best approach would be to step up in weight and try to wrangle a contest against someone in the Bradley/Malignaggi/Alexander group. Steer clear of the likes of Garcia, Matthysse and Rios at light-welter.

Khan's best approach would be to step up in weight and try to wrangle a contest against someone in the Bradley/Malignaggi/Alexander group. Steer clear of the likes of Garcia, Matthysse and Rios at light-welter.

Not sure Rios would be a big threat to Khan. I could see Khan doing a real number on Rios, who is to me a tad overrated. He's a LW moving up. Too slow for Khan.

Not sure Rios would be a big threat to Khan. I could see Khan doing a real number on Rios, who is to me a tad overrated. He's a LW moving up. Too slow for Khan.

Yeah he's not the most stylish fighter in the world but any opponent that is willing to stand in front of Khan and try to trade is a nightmare for him. Danny Garcia is a similar type of fighter.

Yeah he's not the most stylish fighter in the world but any opponent that is willing to stand in front of Khan and try to trade is a nightmare for him. Danny Garcia is a similar type of fighter.

Danny's a crips and sharp/crippling hitter. Rios is more labored and heavy. Maidana is a similar hitter to Rios. I think Khan may suffer more from the speedy shots as opposed to the more clubbing. Rison will east serious leather to get to Khan. Khan has major speed advantage. He is also taller, rangier and naturally bigger.

• Advertisement

Danny's a crips and sharp/crippling hitter. Rios is more labored and heavy. Maidana is a similar hitter to Rios. I think Khan may suffer more from the speedy shots as opposed to the more clubbing. Rison will east serious leather to get to Khan. Khan has major speed advantage. He is also taller, rangier and naturally bigger.

I'm still convinced that if Maidana didn't hit the wall big-time in their fight that he would have beaten Khan. That's why I think Matthysse would be a nightmare for him. He's effectively Maidana minus the stamina issues.
    Rios is a bit of a headcase and I imagine he wouldn't mind walking through an onslaught to get to Khan at least once. The major incentive for any half-decent puncher is that they know they may only need to land one good shot and Khan could unravel very quickly. And 12 rounds is a long time to be on a bike.
    Khan has the speed advantage over everyone in that division and skill-wise he's streets ahead. So long as nobody was willing to punch him hard he would win any light-welterweight fight easily.
    I don't think Alexander or Malignaggi would present as many problems for him in terms of power and both would be willing to indulge his fighting style without being able to compete with his skill set. Bradley would be a closer matchup but Khan could edge that on speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭ebbsy

17/2 Molina in a two horse race, Khan with a new trainer, got the tar beat out of him last fight.......I might have a punt on him.

Sky's Behind the Ropes preview show

Virgil Hunter is pretty intense. He definitely takes a no-nonsense approach. Khan seemed a little intimidated by him. Khan was giving it the usual "everything right now is better than anything before", but I wonder how he will fare long term with Hunter. Khan doesn't seem like the kind of person that takes to a no-nonsense, spartan approach, so I imagine him being uncomfortable in those surroundings. He seemed like a kid learning stuff for the first time at certain points and looked a bit isolated in the gym. They're only snippets of the overall training camp of course so it might be an unfair impression.

Sky's Behind the Ropes preview show

Virgil Hunter is pretty intense. He definitely takes a no-nonsense approach. Khan seemed a little intimidated by him. Khan was giving it the usual "everything right now is better than anything before", but I wonder how he will fare long term with Hunter. Khan doesn't seem like the kind of person that takes to a no-nonsense, spartan approach, so I imagine him being uncomfortable in those surroundings. He seemed like a kid learning stuff for the first time at certain points and looked a bit isolated in the gym. They're only snippets of the overall training camp of course so it might be an unfair impression.

I have only watched half of this and I also got the impression you got. Will watch the rest later tonight.

Ill watch that myself later, I wonder what he will say if he loses, mind you he really shouldn't.

Johnny Nelson spoke to Virgil Hunter on Ringside. I hadn't heard him talk at great length before - he was really interesting to listen to.
    Nelson was in the ring showing him a few of his moves and Hunter was picking out flaws in his style and potential improvements instantly as well as talking about different styles/techniques.

He also mentioned that Khan has never done neck work. This seems like a huge oversight for a fighter with such poor punch resistance.

BTW, Hunter is one big dude!

BTW, Hunter is one big dude!

Yeah, he's a big unit alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Hunter looks like he knows his stuff. Khan is looking a lot different in training, moving very differently, and it looks like a change for the better. I'm intrigued to see how, if any, different he will be on fight night though. At 26 years old and this being his first camp with Hunter the effect will be interesting to see. Can't wait!

• Advertisement

And at least it's not PPV this time. I wouldn't be paying. Will record it and watch it on Sunday morning.

Advertisement