Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man dates.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

There's nothing weird about it at all. I'm not sure about the whole pretending to be gay thing, but hey, each to their own. I'd regularly go out with a mate, whether it be for a walk, a pint, grabbing something to eat.

I'll be completely honest, doing stuff like this got me through some very dark times I was having last year. When my mother died last year, I kind of felt I couldn't really show my emotions around my family, silly I know, but I felt they were finding it hard enough without trying to look out for me. If I hadn't had a few good mates around me that I could unload on, I really don't know what the outcome would have been for me.

My rather long winded point is, use any opportunity you can get to talk (or listen), and these kind of social situations can be exactly the right time and place to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I would think any guys who are fully comfortable with and confident of their masculinity would have no problems heading out for dinner or other "perceived as date" like activities with another guy and not feel the need to be awkward about it or try and over-compensate or disguise/parody it with exaggerated or put on gayness. The discomfort would appear to be something evident in guys who are not fully confident in themselves, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

I'm lost.

Since when has hanging out with a mate been considered a man date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

It's just thinking out loud - Let's all calm down cos Life is too short to be worrying about what other folk might rightly or wrongly read-into a situation or scenario. Guys should be allowed meet in 2s or 3s etc; in their Leisure time whether each or all the Guys in question happen to be STRAIGHT/GAY/BI or whatever. We should learn to respect difference - If only this was Utopia!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,041 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Don't understand all this silliness about pretending to be gay at all.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Because of work and stuff I only get the chance to catch up with my mates on weekends, so usually a bunch of us would go to get some food and then head to the pub or anyhting.

Few years ago, friend of mine, kiwi girl, joined us to have some food as she was waiting in town to get the bus back home. Later on I found out from another friend that she thought that meeting my friends to eat was pretty weird. Had it been to go on the lash, it would have been fine for her.... whaa?

Actually that's what I'm doing later. So honestly i don't get the fuss... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ursula_max

Hey there, there isn t anything wrong with your evenings in company of lads..I find it cute to see two males in restaurant involved in interesting chat, you boys will always get attention of girls..we do spot you! and yes we will question ourselves about your orientation hoping you are straight :)..girls like their gossips and if you just like to get our attention that way ...keep going out for "male dates" ! those are cool to watch..even better to join

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

So you go out on a 'Man Date' with your mate, a group of girls (like the example just given above this post) are out having a meal too, and are clearly looking over at you and whispering away to each other.

You spot this, so decide to hold your mates hand in order to 'fool everyone' into thinking you're gay.

You get a laugh out of this (fair nuff) but end up going home alone. . . .

Maybe you should stop holding your mates hand and buy the table of girls a drink or something.

Theres no need to feel ashamed for hanging out with a mate, be it for drinks or cinema, food , or whatever.

Joking around with innuendo is one thing, being worried that everyone thinks your gay because you're eating food with a man with no women around. . . thats something different all together

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

I'll be honest I saw the 'man date' thread and thought it was a thread for lads looking to meet up for a drink/hang out with/generally make new/more mates.

I figured "Meh, can never have too many friends, I'll give it a look" lol .

Advertisement